Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How does a Canadian girl come as an au pair? what Visa required? health insurance?

(4 Posts)
stressed2007 Tue 29-Jul-08 07:03:47

ok (no sniggering? the South African (on a British passport) has now also changed her mind - it is so frustrating - this is about the 3rd lady who has accepted the position and then said no. We now have several Canadian ladies interested.
I believe they need a different tyope of visa to come here as they are not EU - can someone please point me in the direction of what I need for them?
Also boring question again but are they able to come technically as an "au pair/au pair+" or do they come as mother's helps (they are being paid more then the norm for an au pair in any event)?
Finally I assume they have non reciprocal health arrangments as not EU resident so how do they get access to a GP or hospitals here? Do we/they have to take out private health insurance and in any event would this even allow then to see a GP? Many thanks.

SqueakyPop Tue 29-Jul-08 07:10:39

Right now, they would need a Working Holiday Maker visa. Broadly, they can work full-time on this visa, but the restriction is that they can only work for one year out of the two that the visa is valid for, ie they need to use it for a holiday as well as working.

You can pay them the same rate as you would a European aupair - it's the same job!

The can use the NHS.

Everything is changing regarding the visa in the next few months, but it's not clear exactly what will be happening. The new visa is called Tier 5.

stressed2007 Tue 29-Jul-08 08:26:52

do they get charged for using the NHS?

SqueakyPop Tue 29-Jul-08 09:00:52

Primary care is free.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: