Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How does a Canadian girl come as an au pair? what Visa required? health insurance?

(3 Posts)
stressed2007 Tue 29-Jul-08 07:03:45

ok (no sniggering? the South African (on a British passport) has now also changed her mind - it is so frustrating - this is about the 3rd lady who has accepted the position and then said no. We now have several Canadian ladies interested.
I believe they need a different tyope of visa to come here as they are not EU - can someone please point me in the direction of what I need for them?
Also boring question again but are they able to come technically as an "au pair/au pair+" or do they come as mother's helps (they are being paid more then the norm for an au pair in any event)?
Finally I assume they have non reciprocal health arrangments as not EU resident so how do they get access to a GP or hospitals here? Do we/they have to take out private health insurance and in any event would this even allow then to see a GP? Many thanks.

catepilarr Tue 29-Jul-08 12:55:21

as far as i know the europian health service whatever its called is for tourists only, not for people who stay here to aupair/work. i would have thought once registered with a gp she will be eligible for nhs treatment.

and as long they are free to come and work here you are free to 'employ' them as aupairs.

here is the direct link i found for you for working holiday visa.

and i think i have given you this one before

catepilarr Tue 29-Jul-08 13:01:19

and i suppose it should be her finding out about visas if she wants to become an aupair. obviously you should know so you can check that she is legally here, but i think she should give you all the info not vice versa.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: