Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

should i offer ve to pay for training

(12 Posts)
horace Fri 25-Jul-08 21:12:38

really need some advice about this - especially from childminders or nannies. I have just found someone to care fro my children in my own home. i've known her for ages and she's lovely so it's making my return to work so much easier. In order to claim vouchers to pay her( so i get the tax advantages) she needs to be ofsted reg. which requires her to complete a first aid course. I will be paying for the registrtion and the course but should i be paying for her time too?

I don't want to upset her by not paying her but it's already costing me quite alot. Am i being mean?

flowerybeanbag Fri 25-Jul-08 21:13:55

The vouchers are for your benefit, you'll be saving money as a result, so yes pay for the course.

I am not a childminder or nanny, sorry, although I am a nanny employer.

horace Fri 25-Jul-08 21:36:56

sorry i didn't make myself clear. I expect to pay for the course but should i also PAY HER to attend. She is not due to start working for me until after the summer.

flowerybeanbag Fri 25-Jul-08 21:39:30

Sorry I didn't read properly! blush

In that case not so sure. If she is currently employed and will have to take a day off, then yes pay her.

If it's not going to cost her any money, I probably wouldn't pay her I don't think. Or would I? Mmmm. Don't actually know!

I want to know what other people think now!

giraffescantdancethetango Fri 25-Jul-08 21:40:34

depends how long the course is? ie how much work would she be missing to go? (if she has a different job at the moment) perhaps give a small token amount? ultimetly though shes bennefitting from it too and is getting a free course. if it were me id probably not expect to get paid but im sure other will disagree with me,

MrsWeasley Fri 25-Jul-08 21:40:41

AS she registration could last longer than the time she works for you I think paying for the course is lovely but I wouldn't pay her for attending.

If she wants the job of looking after your DC's she should be willing to do these things herself IMHO!

navyeyelasH Fri 25-Jul-08 22:21:20

The way my boss did it was pay for my time off but not the course; I think either or really. Why don't you ask her and see what she says? The Course is normally only 2 days I think.

horace Fri 25-Jul-08 22:25:21

thanks for the replies. she isn't working at the moment. I'm just abit worried about upsetting her - she is too nice to say she is expecting to be paid. i have been very clear about everything else but have only just thought about this. can hardly say here's the money for the course but don't expect anything else!! Just wanted to get other's views and to check i was being reasonable.

HarrietTheSpy Fri 25-Jul-08 22:31:49

I think you will find that many nannies believe you should also pay for the course, as it's being done for your benefit ie the tax situation (although of course she can use the training on a further job). I personally agree with this; I would feel put out if an employer made me pay for a course when they hired me knowing I didn't have the training. This is one case where I think the comparison between a nanny and say, someone working for a larger company applies. When I was studying for the CFA, which my company required, there was no well in hell I would have paid for the training. And yet I could have left shortly after passing for a much higher paying job. Some cmpanies make you pay if you fail courses or don't turn up etc. Definitely the nanny should pay then.

HarrietTheSpy Fri 25-Jul-08 22:33:06

Sorry what an idiot. i didn't read your mess properly blush

imananny Fri 25-Jul-08 23:15:25

unless your nanny to be needs to take time off her current job, then no you shouldnt pay her

often the first aid course will run on two consective saturdays so no need to take time off, though sure this isnt always the case

nannynick Sat 26-Jul-08 10:48:30

I used to work in Sales & Marketing and my employer used to pay for training courses, including providing that training on a working day - thus paid for my time - and also paying for lunch (though may have been included by the training provider, but even then it's part of the package, so is still paid for).

That knowledge gained by attending training courses I still use today, so it did benefit me, as well as my employer.

If an employer can afford to pay for training, including the employees time for attending that training, then I feel they should do so.

What you need to consider is the costs involved. The amount you save under the voucher scheme, may be around £1000 a year. If you spent £1000 a year on your employees training, then you have no gain from the voucher scheme. Now a first aid course won't cost £1000, typically a first aid course (12 hour) will cost around £80, plus be two days worth of your employees time. You could also through in lunch expenses (say £10 per day). You may also want to pay for travel expenses. I expect it would cost in total say £300. If you gain £1000 via the scheme, then you are still £700 up. Registration cost under Ofsted vOCR is currently £100, so that drops your remaining amount down to £600.

Does the person you have found already have Common Core training suitable for Ofsted registration? Can be hard to know, as Ofsted are not issuing a list of courses they accept! (Can you tell I've moaned to them about this on numerous occasions.)

If you are starting from someone with no training at all, then the first year costs of providing that training, the time off to do that training, and registration cost could result in you having little left over from the savings you make by using the scheme. However, Year 2 will be different.

You need to talk with her to find out what she wants you to pay for. She may be happy if you pay the course fees, but not pay for the time/travel/lunch.

Personally as a nanny, I pay for my own training courses. My employer pays for the annual registration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now