Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much do you put in the nanny kitty in the summer hols?

(13 Posts)
AtheneNoctua Fri 25-Jul-08 10:39:11

I have a 3 and 5 year old. This morning she asked me for more money for a specific ativity because she has spent all of this month's money. I gave it to her.

I was just wondering if other people with small children give more money to cover the summer hols than they give in term time.

imananny Fri 25-Jul-08 10:49:03

I have a works credit card which i put all expenses on, ie petrol, any food shopping, swimming,soft play area, trips to farm etc - so i dont actually have a budget as such BUT i would never take the piss out of it either - i keep all receipts and put in pot, but as it is jammed packed, assume mb and db never looks at it - he did say at the beginning that not to worry about receipts as it will obviously all show on card statement, and as long as his children are safe and well cared for, he trusts me with their lives smilethen he trusts me with his money grin but i like to keep them just incase

i do have a cash kitty but use it for small things like cup of tea at play centre, car park fees (so exp where we are 80p 30mins!!)

I have asked mb for extra cash next week as first week of summer hols, and she said no problem, she will prob give me £20 and again when we are at farm and swimming, will put costs on credit card

my family have never queried what i spend or how i spend it, and obv can see where every penny goes on statement

i do think a monthy cash budget is good, then nanny can decide how to spend the money, rather than keep asking for more,but as it is holidays, then maybe an extra top up is good

have just re read my reply, and sorry for woffling smile

Millarkie Fri 25-Jul-08 10:53:47

I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old and I budget for £50 a week (some weeks are less but then sometimes they have a mega-day-out at an exhibition or farm so it evens out).
We only employ a nanny in school hols but would def. expect to pay out more in school hols than termtime.
This week nanny has bought them an ice lolly each (walked to village shop to get it), but hasn't spent anything else - been painting, dog walking, lego, reading, visiting kids new school,tidying play room (hurrah) .lots of stuff, all free. I've just sent her off with ds to take the train and go to the cinema and have lunch out though and told her to keep him out all day (dd has contagious illness so I'm looking after her) so think rest of money will go today!

mummypoppins Fri 25-Jul-08 12:10:21

£30 a week. This week my nanny spent the whole lot and more on a trip to the cinema.

She is useless with money so I ration it very carefully. We have a 9 and a 7 year old but a swimming pool at home and lots of hills and commons to walk on nearby.

AtheneNoctua Fri 25-Jul-08 13:24:57

If I had your nanny (and your pool) I think I'd push her in and hold her under. Just kidding. Don't try this at home.

£50/week shock. Do you pay for activities on top of that? Does she have to buy food?

I don't have a pool envy, but they can go here whenever they want.

AtheneNoctua Fri 25-Jul-08 13:25:45

What happened to my shock???

Millarkie Fri 25-Jul-08 13:57:11

Nah I don't pay for activities on top - she tends to take them swimming once a week, buys art supplies (they do a lot of craft/painting which I never do with them), they go on the train into town, cinema, bowling, snacks, she'll buy cheap dvds for them occasionally, soft play occasionally (but they are growing out of that rapidly). We have massive garden and country walks/bike rides from the doorstep and they do make use of them (we've no pool though, got to make friends with neighbours - they have one) and they go to the library (free) once a week. I think it's mainly because of the age of them - more likely to go to a national trust property than a £2.50 drop-in playgroup? And I would rather they be out and about a couple of times a week than playing lego every day.

Millarkie Fri 25-Jul-08 14:02:17

Oh, and she doesn't buy the main food shop - I do that - but will top up and buy ingredients for baking (eg. they made hot cross buns at easter so they bought the ingredients together, then made the buns).
Nanny is taking ds to a Dr Who exhibition soon, and taking dd to an aquarium (blooming expensive!) but she is choosing to do this while other child is on visit to Gran's which cuts the hassle and the entrance fees.
She is a good nanny and I"ll be sad in Sept when she goes off to her 'career' job and stops holiday nannying

imananny Fri 25-Jul-08 14:07:16

have a look on www.whattodowiththekids.co.uk i know the person who runs it - there are often free vouchers you can download

or type in google where you want to go,often the places own web site had bogof/50% off vouchers as well

oi Fri 25-Jul-08 14:11:29

I gave ours about £150 to last the hols (we are away for 2 weeks of them so that's roughly for about 4 and a half weeks). That includes a trip to Chessington, various farm excursions, cinema, swimming, a few meals out, icecreams (she's very good and normally takes a packed lunch wherever she goes but I've told her, that if it's a long day out and a meal seems more appropriate, then she can take them).

Mine are slightly older though Athene (6 and 7) so the amount of money they need is probably a bit more.

I wouldn't be surprised if she gets v close to spending all of that.

She is very very good with money and is always economising so I don't have any problems with how she would spend it iyswim.

nannyL Fri 25-Jul-08 19:05:45

this week i spent £24.80 (just done my expenses)

we had a "mega day" yesturday...

went to sea side and parked twice (at 2 bits)... did park and pedallo boat ride, then when car park ran out (£2.40 for 2 hours shock) i moved my car along the sea front.... had a picnic and went to the aquarium (had a free child voucher so only paid for me) and then we had an ice lolly

had a really really busy day and got home later than 'pudding time', so i got them fish and chips from the chip shop too as an extra special treat.

1 day this week we have just seen nanny friends for a free picnic, another day we went swimming but did the toddler session which is just £2 (in the super duper wave and slide pool etc) and today there was a big nanny met at our lacal farm where we are members so just 50p for some animal food and £1.50 for ice lollies.

I would say this week was definitely a cheap week smile

fridayschild Mon 28-Jul-08 13:20:25

More in the holidays than in term time, certainly. Not least because all our playdates (translate - free entertainment) seem to be away for 3 weeks.

imananny Mon 28-Jul-08 20:18:35

went out all day with children at outdoor pool and sandpit, took a picnic and spent less then £10 on entrance and ice creams for 3

bargain i think, and was so hot today

days like these make all the times I get soaked doing school runs worthwhile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now