Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help pls with nanny holidays and S/E family

(10 Posts)
RachieB Thu 24-Jul-08 11:16:18

Hi

hope someone can help me before my brain explodes !!

I am starting a new nannying position soon,and will be sorting out the contract

have been looking into holiday entitlements etc

i thought it was 4 weeks paid holiday ?
but having read a few websites etc it works out ( for my 4 day week) i am entitled to 20.6 days ?? is this correct

also some people say that all bank holidays etc are paid, BUT then some people say some of these need to be / can be taken as part of holidays ?

the family i will be working for are self employed,running their own business and may open on bank holidays

so as one of my working days is a monday,i may have to work some bank holiday mondays

would i get double rate for this or ??
or do i not HAVE to work as it should be a paid holiday ?

god so conffudling ! lol

Thanks in advance!

x

nbee84 Thu 24-Jul-08 13:25:02

Holiday entitlement increased in Oct 2007. It used to be 4 weeks - which would have been 16 days in a 4 day-a-week job. It increases again next year (Apr I think). According to the gov hol calculator you are entitled to 20.3 days. Your employer can round this up (but doesn't have to) but cannot round it down.

Your employer can take bank holidays from this 20.3 days. So if you had 4 bank holidays that you were due to work and you have the day off you would then be left with 16.3 days holiday.

However, many employers will give you the 20.3 days and bank holidays on top of that.

Unsure on the legalities of pay if you work on a bank holiday, but my contract states double pay and an extra day off in lieu.

nbee84 Thu 24-Jul-08 13:45:39

Just found this on the .gov website;

If you work on a bank or public holiday, there is no automatic right to an enhanced pay rate. What you get paid depends on your contract of employment.

RachieB Thu 24-Jul-08 13:55:03

thank you nbee

x

orangina Thu 24-Jul-08 14:13:41

we always give our nanny the day off on bank holidays and we wouldn't dream of taking it off her holiday entitlement, if that's any help...

jura Thu 24-Jul-08 14:37:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RachieB Thu 24-Jul-08 14:41:08

thanks guys

i guess i am just feeling bad,as they are s/e they wont get bank holiday pay (unless they work)

i know its not my fault / problem but just feel bad lol blush

nbee84 Thu 24-Jul-08 14:42:30

That sounds reasonable jura - you are still giving more than the statuatory minimum. I think a lot of companies didn't give their staff extra hols when it changed last year (those that gave over the min) they just did the same as you - 4BH in the yearly entitlement.

nbee84 Thu 24-Jul-08 14:44:11

No Rachie, don't feel bad. They are s/e - you are an employee and entitled to all that goes with that.

RachieB Thu 24-Jul-08 17:09:11

I know i know blush

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now