Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

[smile] - who else has a lovely nanny

(19 Posts)
mishmash Mon 07-Feb-05 20:20:25

I have just had a long conversation with my son and he has told me lots of nice things about our nanny and the things she does with him and his other siblings, the conversations they have, the games they play, the baking they do, the art they do - she is their best ever childminder

motherinferior Mon 07-Feb-05 20:25:27

No, but I have a fabulous childminder

Cristina7 Mon 07-Feb-05 20:28:18

Ours is very good with my son too. They are together for only 6 hours a week (3 days of 2 hours, after school) but they seem to get so much done in that time. When I came in today they'd made paper money and were playing shop. On Friday they made paper people stuck on straws to act out "Goldilocks and the three bears". I do this kind of stuff with him too, but it's nice to know they genuinely do get on well together.

Earlybird Mon 07-Feb-05 20:28:20

Good nanny here too. Lucky to have her.

princesspeahead Mon 07-Feb-05 20:49:39

Mine!
She is perfect and lovely in every way.

Uwila Mon 07-Feb-05 21:00:53

I don't know if I can compete with "perfect and lovely in every way" but I do know that she teaches DD things that a lot of other kids DD's age don't know yet. It's not because DD is a gifted genius (although that's alovely thought) but rather it's because our nanny takes the time to count, and name the various object (car, flower, bear, etc.). This is a nanny trait that I think can be instructed, it was just pure luck to get her.

She isn't perfect, she has a minor fault or two. But, as far as nannies go, I am quite happy to leave DD in her care when I go off to work.

Anchovy Tue 08-Feb-05 15:38:52

Mine is just brilliant. I read somewhere that your children are the barometer of your childcare which is exactly true - my two are happy, lively and very well cared for. We are lucky that our nanny has been with us for 3 years, so effectively all of their lives, but it is not only luck that she stayed, I think it is also because we treat her like the professional that she is. It pisses me off a bit when I see threads on here about people who constantly grumble about their nannies and I honestly think that that must leech out into the relationship. It also pisses me off when there are programmes like one coming up this week about nannies who do DARK DEEDS when your back is turned. Mine's dark deed for this afternoon is making a birthday card for DH which looks like the London Eye, involving pipe cleaners and a lot of glitter. She is not perfect - she has an alarming tendency to dress DD up to look like a marshmallow, for example, and DS has some slightly odd bits of vocabulary which I don't think comes from me but she does a brilliant job and we all are very grateful to her.

beachyhead Tue 08-Feb-05 15:46:46

I think mine is great - she is more conservative, cautious, responsible and careful than I could be in a million years.......but she is firm, loving and thoughtful.....

She is not like me at all!!!!!!!but the kids love her too

bakedpotato Tue 08-Feb-05 15:47:28

Anchovy
i agree with everything you say.

we're lucky, too. i've learned so much from our nanny. sometimes i find myself wondering what we did to deserve her.

crunchie Tue 08-Feb-05 15:55:08

I'm jealous I want mine back and we don't have the money

She also wants to come back, but someone is paying more than we ever could She asked me last week if I would have another baby for her

Uwila Tue 08-Feb-05 15:59:40

Oh yes, I can relate to the "dressing like marshmallow". Nanny likes to dress DD into comfy clothes that look like rags and sooooo don't match. But, hey, if that's the worst I can complain about then I best be thankful for that.

Besides when I really get fed up with it, I just lay out her clothes on the changing table in the morning (as I get DD up about and hour before nanny starts her day).

I saw a thread about a documentary called "The hand that rocks the cradle" It's about horrible things some really bad nannies have done. I shant be watching this because it would only serve to make me really suspicious of a nanny who doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.

Tiggus Tue 08-Feb-05 16:33:21

Mary Poppins here too. I can't wait to buy her tickets for it for her birthday.

Cristina7 Tue 08-Feb-05 19:59:46

Tiggus - she must really be a Mary Poppins if you're getting her tickets for the show for her birthday. They cost a fortune!

Tanzie Tue 08-Feb-05 22:19:35

My new nanny is great too and has fitted in with us like what? A hand in a glove. Plays games tirelessly with the DDs and makes them eat their veg. Lovely change from Vandalina the Transilvanian Bookwrecker and Evil Imelda.

mishmash Tue 08-Feb-05 23:07:11

Guys my wonderful nanny ain't perfect but neither am I - and yes I can totally relate to the uncordinated clothes but what the heck, they prefer their trackies anyway - at weekends I make sure they are dressed the way I like and get complaints.

Uwila Wed 09-Feb-05 08:40:37

I may have to retract what I said about nanny's dressing capabilities. Last night I got home and DD was wearing a well coordinated outfit -- one of my favourites even. So I guess nanny took the hint when I started laying out DDs clothes and/or dressing her myself in the last couple of weeks.

hattiel Wed 09-Feb-05 12:36:35

I have a great childminder who does wonderful things with the children that i don't even think to do. I now have a very good Au pair (Although i must say we started off on a bad note)she's the best help I have had. BTW I thought 'the hand that rocks the cradle' was such bad car crash t.v. It starts off by saying how nanny and AP business is unregulated ect ect snd so be warned, But the issues was about nanny stealing money, running off with partners and moonlighting. All these thing could happen in any work situation.

A mother asked me today at school if i worry what our AP gets up to? after watching T.V show. ( how silly)

beachyhead Wed 09-Feb-05 12:38:14

My nanny complained this morning that I had dressed ds 'from her ironing pile' First I've heard about her ever having an ironing pile!!!!

Issymum Wed 09-Feb-05 12:48:51

I'm with PPH. My nanny is perfect and lovely in every way.

My only grumble is that she makes me feel so damned inadequate. She breezes through each day caring immaculately for the DDs (without even so much as raises her voice even though DD1 would push a normal mortal into uncontrollable fury), organising their toys and clothes with military precision, baking cakes for the family and for nursery fundraisers, cooking wholesome dinners for when we return from the office, doing lovely arty projects, arranging playdates, doing our supermarket shopping and leaving the kitchen looking surgically clean. Yet she barely turns a hair and finds time to take a break at lunchtime to work on her novel.

I think she may be a Stepford Nanny.......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: