Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do your own children make your job as a cm harder?

(7 Posts)
TJ1976 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:30:27

My ds is 2.5 yrs old and I have been a cm since he was born. He is a very happy, clever little boy and never really given me any problems - well until now! As he's got older the behaviour with my minded kids has been very difficult at late. He is very territorial and will try and dominate everything. We have routine and activities during the day and he is kept busy. I think the terrible two's have kicked in and I will just have to ride it out! Lots of 'time out' given when needed and lots of praise and affection when he is doing well and not being a horror!! As long as I keep busy and we go out each day it really helps in keeping my setting harmonious. Please tell me i'm not the only one?!

OFSTEDoutstanding Tue 22-Jul-08 14:01:52

No Not the only one at all TJ!
My ds is 2.9 and I have been a cm since he was 16months. He loves the older ones but has started getting really annoyed with the full time mindee aged 1.11 as the mindee doesn't understand when ds is playing a game and tends to pull it to pieces or run of with the toys. DS spends quite a bit of time on time out for unacceptable behaviour but tbh mindee 1 will start getting time out soon as he is just as bad, its a bit like having very close in age brothers!

vInTaGeVioLeT Tue 22-Jul-08 14:38:38

no mine can make work hard too but i really feel c/minding has made my ds a nicer child as he is very good at sharing his toys and his family and he's very gentle with babies and younger kids . ds is 3.7yrs

Berryred Tue 22-Jul-08 14:53:50

no! I can't wait till both mine are in school come sept so work will be work! I often say if it wasn't for my own children my job would be much more enjoyable blush they are fine now tbh it was when they were younger, if they get fed up they go and hide in their rooms to play! my own children are 6 and 4 (at end Aug)

TJ1976 Tue 22-Jul-08 15:06:22

I'm relieved to hear some of your feedback. Thank you. Roll on pre school in Jan! The children I care for are younger than him and one of the babies like to pull at him when he is sat in the double pushchair and go after his toys when he is happily playing on his own. I do feel for him at times. I have looked after older kids and he is much better with them. At the moment I have young toddlers in my care so the space in ages isn't a lot. He is very social, its just my minded kids he has a hard time with! Once he can play in his bedroom happily on his own it will become easier. He can keep his special toys to himself and have no threat of another child grabbing it off him! I have to remind myself he is only a bubba himself!

littlestarschildminding Tue 22-Jul-08 18:16:30

My ds 7 is GREAT with my mindees...he adores the babies and can often be caught singing lullabies to our newest recruit (8 weeks) when he thinks no one is looking.

My youngest (4) is a bit more of a handful, He is quite hyper and finds it a bit hard to know when he is being over enthusiastic with the little ones, he also wants to be one of the big ones and gets upset when they wont let him play. With have solved the problem by not letting the mindees in his room he will often retreat there for an hour or so where he can play with his trains in peace. His is also known a treat for playing up BIG TIME when potential parents come to visit.

Both are GREAT at sharing and have had access to far more friends and done way more activities that he wouldn't have done had I not been a cm, so I think it balances itself out.

Both my ds ask me in the mornings who is coming today, and get upset if I say no one. So they must like it in some ways.

ls

Shoshe Tue 22-Jul-08 20:31:07

I don't have any children at home now (well at 30, he is a bit old grin) but had DGD until recently.

I always warn new CM's that the worst behaved child in your setting is likely to be your own grin. Mine was.

There is a lot to be said for Childminding after your child is old enough not to need you all the time.

IMO a lot more fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now