Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does this sound workable

(7 Posts)
WhyIsItRaining Tue 22-Jul-08 10:21:41

So humour me, DS is only 7 weeks old and I have NO idea about childcare. I'm due back at work early next year. I have put his name down for the nursery at work but because of size limits, they won't be able to confirm whether he actually has a place until a month before he is due to start.

So what do I do about a back up option in case they can't fit him in immediately? I want him to go there in the long run so would like to wait out a place. Can I employ a nanny to cover the period between me starting back at work and a space opening up (could be a month, could be a year)? If so, when would I need to start looking for one? Are there any better options?

Thanks for any advice.

navyeyelasH Tue 22-Jul-08 10:23:27

Where in the country are you? If you live somewhere rural it would obviously make the short term nanny router harder than if you're in a city?

kingfix Tue 22-Jul-08 10:25:13

We had a nanny for three months while waiting for a space in a nursery, which worked well for us. We used NannyPaye to do all the tax business. Can't help on finding one as we used DD's old nursery keyworker who had been made redundant when our first nursery chut down.

WhyIsItRaining Tue 22-Jul-08 10:27:23

We're in London which I guess should mean things are easier?

Kingfix good to hear that this has been done before. I'm worried that a nanny would be reluctant to take on a job for an indefinite (and possibly short) period like this but would obviously want to be up front.

starlady Tue 22-Jul-08 10:38:37

Just wondered why you were so keen on nursery?

It's worth checking out the studies that say one other caregiver (other than mum) is better for little ones, rather than multiple nursery workers. Nursery is said to work better for over two and a halves when they do get more social.

What I'm getting at, is if you find a good nanny and your ds is settled, you may want to hold on to her, rather than uproot him to nursery?

Don't want to be preachy, just offer a different way of thinking about this.

I do appreciate nannys are expensive. But why not just hire nanny, and see how you feel when nursery place comes up?

lavenderrose Tue 22-Jul-08 12:18:33

Another option would be a Childminder, not one to one care but maybe easier to fit in with you and at short notice. The childminder option will also be cheaper than the nursery or nanny option. Have a chat to your Health Visitor they may be able to put your mind at ease

imananny Tue 22-Jul-08 14:11:01

if you really want your child to go to nursery,then hire a temp nanny these can be from one day to a week to a month to 3months etc - but obviously they might have other jobs planned already

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now