Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Question for nannies - how far in advance do you start looking for a new job?

(8 Posts)
ZakuroFujiwara Sun 20-Jul-08 22:00:03

I am likely to need a 4 day a week live-out nanny from December 08/January 09. How far in advance do you think I should be looking for someone? And do you think my recruitment method has any bearing on it eg. advertising myself as opposed to going through an agency, or vice versa?

I'm in the London suburbs if you think that might make any difference...

Thanks in advance for any help. grin

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 22:16:12

I have recently changed job, and I looked a little over 3 months in advance. This meant I was able to give my employer a terms notice (they were a teacher). Not sure I'm a typical nanny though.

It will depend on the nannies situation... if they are making the decision to leave an existing job, they may have more time to look for a new job, than a nanny who has been told they are no longer required by their employer.

Advertise yourself to start with... if you get no joy and time is running out, then use an agency. With advertising yourself, given the relatively low cost involved, you could start an advert at any time and see what response you get.

AtheneNoctua Mon 21-Jul-08 07:47:20

I would suggest to start looking two months before you want her to start. That gives you a month to place an ad, interview candidates, off the job, and still leave her about a 4 week notice period before she comes to you.

nannyL Mon 21-Jul-08 07:48:11

My last job i knew was coming to an end when my younegst chage started full time school (ie september)

I started looking end of april, found my new family mid-may and had contract / start date by end of may (or it might have been beginning june)

I started working for them 3 months later at beginning of September

nannyL Mon 21-Jul-08 07:49:41

(I also would always try and give my current bosses at least 2 months notice, thought tbh i have only ever let when my charges start full time school)

imananny Mon 21-Jul-08 15:16:59

i suggest 3 months, only as most of the nannies i know have 2months notice in their contract

by the time you have placed an advert/joined agency, interviewed a few nannies, checked ref, had 2nd interviews, offered job a month can EASILY pass

i am a great beleiver in using agncies, but many mums on here will disagree as they cost £1000+

maybe do an advert, put on nannyjob, gumtree and netmums and then if no one you like is about then try an agency

All my jobsa have been through agencies apart from current one, that was gumtree, we both replied to each other ads, BUT mb did say if i hadnt replied/seen my ad, she would have used local agency and still found me smile as she didnt like any o the others on gumtree

fridayschild Mon 21-Jul-08 18:49:29

I think 3 months in advance is good. This gives you time to rush into action with a second nanny hunt if you discover that the first nanny you chose accepts a job with someone else instead of you.

ZakuroFujiwara Mon 21-Jul-08 19:04:31

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Think I will start to put feelers out in late September then....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now