Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are you supposed to offer to take your au pair on holiday with you?

(8 Posts)
granarybeck Sun 20-Jul-08 21:12:01

Just not sure what to do. Our au pair is coming back from visiting her family in turkey for three and half weeks. We are going to France in August for a fortnight with my dad, his wife and my brother. Hadn't invited au pair as was quite last minute.

Not sure now if it looks rude not to invite her, I know she's not keen on being in house on her own. But worried if she may be bored and I'll feel responsible for cecking she's okay all time. We're staying in an old house (quite basic) in rural area and last time we went was lovely for us as just read books, ate lots, drove to beach some days. But for an ap could be pretty boring and she may feel awkward being with my family.

Is it usual for ap to be invited to go with their family? Also I'd hate her to think we were taking her to help out.

MrsTiddles Sun 20-Jul-08 21:14:03

no unless you need her help out there, I would not invite her to go.

can you trust her in the house? she might be a good house sitter in your absence.

granarybeck Sun 20-Jul-08 21:21:21

No wouldn't really want her to help out, like to slob out on holiday and see the kids. Would just hate her to feel offended if not invited. Is our first au pair so wasn't sure what was the norm. Just don't think I'd relax as much.

You're right she would be a good house sitter. Could possibly leave the dog with her too as she may be happier in the house with him there (even though is tiny!)

blueshoes Sun 20-Jul-08 22:17:25

I have only had one aupair. I have never offered to take her on hols with us - she did not seem to mind. With 2 children under 5, our holidays are very child-centered and I am sure she would be bored.

In fact, on our last holiday, her family came to stay in our house during our absence and it worked really well. They had a house in London for a week and I got a housesitter. I would not allow her family over if I did not think she was a good aupair though. It is a extra perk for her and was the end of her stay. I would be very wary of aupairs who have just arrived and ask for the use of your house when you go on holiday to house various relatives.

granarybeck Sun 20-Jul-08 22:21:01

Yes, I did think it would be a nice chance for her to have a friend or family stay. I do trust her, she's been with us for nearly a year.

ingles2 Sun 20-Jul-08 23:03:17

we never take the Ap with us as we camp! I leave them housesitting and looking after the animals. I pay their usual rate & 40 pounds a week for food. Current AP has her parents coming over for a holiday this August.

granarybeck Mon 21-Jul-08 09:48:37

Thanks for the reassurance. I think it just seems harsher as she's just coming back to us then we're off. In reality she'll probably enjoy the time off and chance to catch up with her friends. Do you have a dog Ingles that you left with her?

ingles2 Mon 21-Jul-08 12:57:27

yep, I leave her the dog, the cat, and the chickens grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now