Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding rates - drop off/pick up from school

(24 Posts)
Niso Sun 20-Jul-08 09:29:55

Hi I am a childminder and have been asked to look after a 6 yr old before school from 7.45 - 8.45 and after school from 3.15 - 5.00. I will need to drive the child to and from school - its a 4 mile round trip each time. I was wondering how much to charge for providing this drop off/pick up service in addition to my hourly rate of £4. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cece Sun 20-Jul-08 09:33:53

I have this with my cm and she charges £4 per hour. this includes the driving and breakfast/dinner at 5 pm. I collect by 5.30 pm.

bigdonna Sun 20-Jul-08 09:43:58

i dont have after schoolies but my cm friend charges £5 an hour before school and after.

KatyMac Sun 20-Jul-08 10:17:08

Don't charge mileage or petrol - it will affect your car Insurance

I charge £5 before & £10 after

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 10:24:03

A local Before/After School club near me would charge the following (assuming child attends 5 days per week):

Breakfast Club Fees
7.45am-School Starts = £6.95
Transport to School = £1.95
Subtotal: £8.90
10% Reduction for 5-days per week: (£0.89)
Breakfast Club Total Per Day: £8.01

After School Club Fees
School Ends - 5pm = £9.95
Transport from School = £1.95
Subtotal: £11.90
10% Reduction for 5-days per week: (£1.19)
After-School Club Total Per Day: £10.71

Total Cost Per Day: £18.72
Total Cost Per Week: £93.60

A childminder in my area charges £4.50 per hour and includes the school drop-off/pick-up. So £13.50 per day.

Neither of the above include food.

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 10:32:56

KatyMac, it's charging for the time in the car that affects insurance. See this report from DVTA Northern Ireland. While Northern Ireland may have different insurance rules, I would suspect things are similar in many ways - so an insurer in England may apply the same principles... ok to charge for actual cost of the fuel, but not for the time. If charging time, then Hire & Reward insurance applies.
Morton Michel's MotorCare insurance includes Hire & Reward for when caring for children in your care.

KatyMac Sun 20-Jul-08 12:31:30

Thanks Nick - I understand that there is a case in court atm about a C/Mer deciding about H&R Ins vs business Ins (or something like that)

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 12:40:57

That court case sounds interesting, will be useful to know the outcome.

Sidge Sun 20-Jul-08 12:50:31

Nannynick your local school clubs seem very expensive! I used to pay £2.20 for breakfast club (0745-0845) then £4.20 for after school club (1510-1710). Breakfast club included juice, toast and cereal and afterschool club included a snack eg crumpets, toast, fruit, cheese and drinks.

It just shows how much costs vary (we are in Hampshire by the way).

robinpud Sun 20-Jul-08 12:53:16

My after school club charges £6 per child pre school 7.30-9.00, breakfast included and £7.50 per child after school 3.20-6.00pm, tea included.

Niso Sun 20-Jul-08 18:53:26

Thanks for all the responses. It seems to vary a lot so will keep watching and pick an average cost. This is my first time on Mumsnet.com and I am so impressed with the rapid response. I will definitely be back! grin

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 21:01:11

Welcome to Mumsnet. You will find that there is a huge amount of information to be found on this section... many pages in the archives.

It can take a while to get the hang of how things work on Mumsnet... but once you find your feet, you won't leave.

Search can be used to find threads about specific topics. You can restrict search to a specific board - I would suggest you save this board as your favourite, within search... so you can with a click of a couple of buttons search just this section of the talk boards.

Questions, just ask away. You may not always get a reply, though chances are you will.

deemo Wed 10-Jan-18 17:09:53

Hi everyone, I just want to ask how much the drop off and pick up fees for 2 child from the school and stay with the childminder between 3 and 6pm

jannier Thu 11-Jan-18 09:45:49

Childminders frequently charge a session rate for before and after school as it is taking up a place that can not be filled. Your local area will have a typical rate. So staying an hour or 3 is the same. Meals may be included but not always. You need to ring around locally.

deemo Thu 11-Jan-18 10:11:17

Ok but I asked at school they told me there some childminder who do that , I ve called one of them she said it cost £10 per child for drop off only this is too much , the breakfast club at school cost only £1 from 8-9am the problem that I need to be in my job at 8 am, so I wonder if there are schools which offers breakfast and after school clubs that begin from 7.30 and finish at 6pm , unfortunately in the current school the after school club finish at 5.30pm and they charge £8 per child which is reasonable

Twofishfingers Thu 11-Jan-18 14:57:45

As a childminder, I charge 6.50 for the 'breakfast club', flat rate, per child, but this includes a healthy breakfast and is from 7.45 until 9 when school starts.

jannier Fri 12-Jan-18 09:48:31

deemo - one problem is that no business can compete with a £1 club - many breakfast clubs are subsidised with the aim of getting children to have eaten before school - so many go to school hungry. They were not intended for childcare.
As a business your asking someone to provide a space that is limited as there are set numbers and you cant get someone for the hours you don't want so it has to be worth while taking your child no way is it worth it at the rate the school charge. The childminder is effectively charging £5 an hour would you work for this less expenses like breakfast petrol insurance?
Remember that you can claim things like tax credits (pays up tp 70% if you are eligible) or tax free childcare for Ofsted registered care such as that provided by the cm.

Tanith Fri 12-Jan-18 15:22:30

£10 for early morning, plus breakfast, plus drop off to school? No, it is not "too much", it's what she's costed for the service she provides.

If you want that service, including those hours, you'll have to pay for it. Same with the evening - and don't expect a childminder providing a meal and collection service to match the after school club.

deemo Fri 12-Jan-18 17:53:54

Yes I understand maybe the best option is to transfer my kids to another school where the breakfast club starts at 7.30 and the after school club last until 6pm this is more reasonable, thanks

deemo Fri 12-Jan-18 18:00:20

And if I have to pay 20 pounds for 2 children only fo breakfast club and I dont know how much it will cost regarding the after school club in addition I have to pay for full day nursery for my third son so in this case I will receive my salary and pay it for nursery and childminder , from my view this too much may be it is better not to work at all

jannier Sat 13-Jan-18 11:49:48

sorry I don't get it. when you choose to have children whether its 1 2 3 or more don't you look into and consider the costs before expecting someone else to do a bogoff deal earning less than minimum wage to facilitate you earning what you consider a reasonable wage? What do you expect to pay in the holidays £10 a day? What planet thinks its enough to pay £1 an hour childcare and throw in free food....that was a charitable system set up for people who couldn't drag themselves out of beds and feed their kids before school never a childcare solution. (although now used as one) its funded by government cereal companies and schools so that children are not starving hungry and unable to concentrate,

thisgirlrides Sat 13-Jan-18 22:36:25

I charge £7.50 before school inc breakfast & £18 after school inc tea or £23 for both. I have 1 child that is only with me an hour after school but still pays the same as it's a one of only 3 after school places I have. Our school club charges £5ph but is oversubscribed and not popular for little ones (very busy / hectic ) so reception & yr1 parents tend to go for childminders despite the higher cost.

deemo Mon 15-Jan-18 21:07:47

Thank you all for advice I have found a childminder in my area who will charge me £6 for drop off and 12 for after school club and thankfully she lives in the same planet!!!! Anyway I asked because I wanted to have an idea about about the prices . Even if I have 10 kids I think this is something related to me so either to be kind enough to help or at least not to interfere in personal issues , thanks for kind people who answered my question.

deemo Mon 15-Jan-18 21:17:29

Thisgirlrides , thank you very much for your comment,I think this is reasonable cost and thank you for your kidness

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: