Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminding rates - drop off/pick up from school

(12 Posts)
Niso Sun 20-Jul-08 09:29:55

Hi I am a childminder and have been asked to look after a 6 yr old before school from 7.45 - 8.45 and after school from 3.15 - 5.00. I will need to drive the child to and from school - its a 4 mile round trip each time. I was wondering how much to charge for providing this drop off/pick up service in addition to my hourly rate of £4. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cece Sun 20-Jul-08 09:33:53

I have this with my cm and she charges £4 per hour. this includes the driving and breakfast/dinner at 5 pm. I collect by 5.30 pm.

bigdonna Sun 20-Jul-08 09:43:58

i dont have after schoolies but my cm friend charges £5 an hour before school and after.

KatyMac Sun 20-Jul-08 10:17:08

Don't charge mileage or petrol - it will affect your car Insurance

I charge £5 before & £10 after

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 10:24:03

A local Before/After School club near me would charge the following (assuming child attends 5 days per week):

Breakfast Club Fees
7.45am-School Starts = £6.95
Transport to School = £1.95
Subtotal: £8.90
10% Reduction for 5-days per week: (£0.89)
Breakfast Club Total Per Day: £8.01

After School Club Fees
School Ends - 5pm = £9.95
Transport from School = £1.95
Subtotal: £11.90
10% Reduction for 5-days per week: (£1.19)
After-School Club Total Per Day: £10.71

Total Cost Per Day: £18.72
Total Cost Per Week: £93.60

A childminder in my area charges £4.50 per hour and includes the school drop-off/pick-up. So £13.50 per day.

Neither of the above include food.

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 10:32:56

KatyMac, it's charging for the time in the car that affects insurance. See this report from DVTA Northern Ireland. While Northern Ireland may have different insurance rules, I would suspect things are similar in many ways - so an insurer in England may apply the same principles... ok to charge for actual cost of the fuel, but not for the time. If charging time, then Hire & Reward insurance applies.
Morton Michel's MotorCare insurance includes Hire & Reward for when caring for children in your care.

KatyMac Sun 20-Jul-08 12:31:30

Thanks Nick - I understand that there is a case in court atm about a C/Mer deciding about H&R Ins vs business Ins (or something like that)

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 12:40:57

That court case sounds interesting, will be useful to know the outcome.

Sidge Sun 20-Jul-08 12:50:31

Nannynick your local school clubs seem very expensive! I used to pay £2.20 for breakfast club (0745-0845) then £4.20 for after school club (1510-1710). Breakfast club included juice, toast and cereal and afterschool club included a snack eg crumpets, toast, fruit, cheese and drinks.

It just shows how much costs vary (we are in Hampshire by the way).

robinpud Sun 20-Jul-08 12:53:16

My after school club charges £6 per child pre school 7.30-9.00, breakfast included and £7.50 per child after school 3.20-6.00pm, tea included.

Niso Sun 20-Jul-08 18:53:26

Thanks for all the responses. It seems to vary a lot so will keep watching and pick an average cost. This is my first time on Mumsnet.com and I am so impressed with the rapid response. I will definitely be back! grin

nannynick Sun 20-Jul-08 21:01:11

Welcome to Mumsnet. You will find that there is a huge amount of information to be found on this section... many pages in the archives.

It can take a while to get the hang of how things work on Mumsnet... but once you find your feet, you won't leave.

Search can be used to find threads about specific topics. You can restrict search to a specific board - I would suggest you save this board as your favourite, within search... so you can with a click of a couple of buttons search just this section of the talk boards.

Questions, just ask away. You may not always get a reply, though chances are you will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now