Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair from Phillippines

(35 Posts)
geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 16:40:59

Does anyone have any experience of hiring an au pair from the Phillippines? We are currently looking into it and it seems really easy and not that expensive on the face of it. Feels as though we are missing something?!Thanks.

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 16:42:18

The visa.

It is difficult for Phillippines citizens to come here legally.

geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 16:43:12

Why squeaky? It has to be legal for us.

geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 16:44:14

Have looked at te eembassy website and it says the visa for a filipino au pair cost £205 - if we have read correctly.

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 16:44:40

There are only so many visa categories, and unfortunately an au pair from the Phillippines doesn't fit into any of them.

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 16:45:13

What class of visa did you see on the embassy website?

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 16:45:33

Can you post a link?

escape Fri 18-Jul-08 16:48:43

here in dubai, literally most households have live in help, and the majority are filipina - I do believe it is difficult if not impossible for brit expats to take them back to the UK on trips

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 17:01:54

If British Expats in Dubai had Phillipino help, they would be able to take them back to the UK as long as they had been with the family for a year.

You can't get domestic help directly into the UK - they have to have been with your family when you were stationed abroad.

geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 18:24:28

http://www.vfs-uk-ph.com/visafees.aspx hope this link works out squeaky

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 18:29:43

That site gives prices for every possible visa category, but unfortunately, Phillippines citizens are eligible for very few of them. If you look at the list, it mentions China, Japan and Bunac (North America) - so is clear the site does not just list visas that can be obtained by Phillippines citizens.

Au Pair visas have been for a few non-EU European countries. It used to be for primarily Western Europeans but that need has disappeared with the European Union. The class of visa will disappear completely within the next couple of months.

geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 18:42:19

You clearly know what you are talking about squeaky.Any suggestions?

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 19:19:56

Your choices are basically the European Union and the Commonwealth. European Union citizens can come to the UK visa-free; Commonwealth citizens currently need Working Holidaymaker visa (the name of this visa is changing in the next few months).

You are fairly stuck for anywhere else.

QuintessentialShadows Fri 18-Jul-08 19:28:24

People from the Philippines are not usually part of the au pair system. The reason is that most of them are mothers themselves and leave their own young children thinking they will have a better future and that they will be able to send money home. An au pairs salary is in reality so meagre, pocket money really, that there is nothing to send home. The result is that a Philipino family is left without a mother, but no salary is coming in. This may cause a problem for the father who is left behind to care for the kids, and with no wife, and no extra money, and no child care, he cant work. Very often the Philipino woman, having realized this, is trying to come home, to take care of her own kids, so her husband can work and their kids stay safe while he does so, but she cant even find a way of saving up money to the plain ticket. This problem has resulted in Au Pair from the philippines being classified as modern day slavery rather than au pairing, and they can for that reason not be part of the au pair system as it is today.

Must your au pair be from the Philippines? I have had great luck with Polish au pairs.

Bewilderbeast Fri 18-Jul-08 19:31:59

As far as I am aware the Phillipine govt bans its citizens from being AU Pairs in another country so they would not be granted a visa by the UK govt

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 19:43:07

There is also the issue that unmarried Phillipino girls will be suspected of having immigrant intent if they come to the UK - ie, they will come and not leave.

geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 20:10:57

Thanks Squeaky - will take your advice. Do you mind me asking how you have come to be so knowledgable about this? Personal experience or work?

QS - no, filipino is not essential - I just have a lot of experience of filipino colleagues and appreciate their attitude to work and respect for children and family life. I'm sure lots of non-filipino au pairs could be just as good or better. You have had some good Polish au pairs?

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 20:36:07

My knowledge is purely hobby-based. I am not a lawyer, so am not giving any legal advice. grin

I am in a multicultural marriage, and have been both the recipient and sponsor for visas. I also employ aupairs

geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 20:40:38

Thanks for your help. What nationality of au pairs have you employed and has it worked out?

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 20:44:40

I have had loads of aupairs, and the only thing I can say is that there is no such thing as the perfect one. If you think of the main tasks are to look after children, do some cooking, and cleaning - it's had to get someone who checks all three boxes.

We have had been fortunate that they have all been honest and clean - we have not had anyone that has been dubious re drugs and alcohol. We've never had to ask any to use deodorant.

I would not generalise on nationalities.

QuintessentialShadows Fri 18-Jul-08 21:07:15

Geisha. I have had 2 polish au pairs. My dh is also polish so I have also plenty of polish friends and family. They have a really good work ethic, a real "muck in" attitude. Something my former norwegian au pair lacked. And being norwegian myself, and knowing something of the norwegian attitude, I was not surprised. She turned out to be exactly what I thought, but I just had to prove myself wrong... hmm

Good Luck. smile

geisha Fri 18-Jul-08 21:16:12

Thanks both. I am sure there are good and bad au pairs in all nationalities, but it is the attitude to work and respect for family life that I am really after and cultures are different. Clean, drug free are important. I am not worried about them having a glass of wine with us, but blind drunk or drinking alone in room is not ok.

I have been looking on au pair world, how do you usually recruit?

catepilarr Fri 18-Jul-08 21:39:20

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier5/aupairs/

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.u k/workingintheuk/othercategories/domesticworkers/

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 21:48:48

I recruit through Aupair World. I did use an agency in the beginning, but like having the control of doing it myself.

escape Sat 19-Jul-08 21:30:34

QS - how does that work then for hre in Dubai - there are literally thousands of fillipinas working in private houses (all sponsored and above board)
what really is meagre wage doesn't seem a problem for these girls and their backgrounds. and most of them are mothers aswell sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now