Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should my CM provide 'a place to sleep' for my DD?

(29 Posts)
MummytoWillow Fri 18-Jul-08 15:38:28

Hope someone can answer this question?

My daughter (11 months) naps twice day when she is at home, usually for about two hours each time, however when she goes to the childminders she hardly naps at all, now I know there is alot going on and she does keep them busy, but when I collect her she is a worn out stroppy little lady!! wink

When I've asked CM if she has 'put her down' to sleep she says she put her in the pram outside and she wouldn't go off? DD naps in her cot at home and I'm convinced if CM put the travel cot she has got up and put her in there she would get her to nap, she does this at my parents so can't see why she wouldn't do it at CM?

She keeps saying she is going to get the cot out but it never appears? Does she as a registered CM have to provide a place to sleep for the babies, she also minds another 16 month old who is happy to sleep in the pram.

I don't want to cause a fuss as she really is a lovely lady and a brilliant CM, any advice greatly appreciated?

iMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:41:00

Well I look after a 15month old and he sleeps in a cot upstaris however I have to walk him in the pram first as he wont go off to sleep in a cot from being awake (he is the same at home) then I have to everso carefully lift him from the pram into the cot. Perhaps your minder also has this trouble but your little one wakes if she is moved from the pram? so she just lets her sleep in the pram?

aGalChangedHerName Fri 18-Jul-08 15:41:36

I always put children to sleep in a travel cot. IIRC the CC told me unless you are out for a walk babies and children should not be put down for a sleep in a buggy.

I could be wrong. If you want your dd to sleep in a travel cot then imo your CM should do that.

Sidge Fri 18-Jul-08 15:43:17

You are the paying customer so if you want your daughter put down to sleep in the cot then you must insist on it.

I would expect a CM to respect your wishes and put her in a cot to sleep.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 18-Jul-08 15:44:43

Ofsted were happy with me putting the baby for nap in the buggy, due to space issues (small house)

I think that the CM could work with you a bit to ensure nap times or at least quiet times are built into your child's routine with her.

HTH

pinkspottywellies Fri 18-Jul-08 15:46:14

My dd goes to a childminder for a few random hours while I work - usually only 2-3 hours a week. She has only needed a sleep once but was put down in a cot. The CM also said that she has a travel cot that she could put up if any of the others need a sleep at the same time. I think if that is how dd will sleep then that's what she should do.

pinkspottywellies Fri 18-Jul-08 15:46:16

My dd goes to a childminder for a few random hours while I work - usually only 2-3 hours a week. She has only needed a sleep once but was put down in a cot. The CM also said that she has a travel cot that she could put up if any of the others need a sleep at the same time. I think if that is how dd will sleep then that's what she should do.

MummytoWillow Fri 18-Jul-08 15:49:36

Oh by the way, space is not an issue her house is huge!

Shoshe Fri 18-Jul-08 15:56:16

Another CM here who was told that children must NOT be put to sleep in a buggy, and even if they fall asleep on a walk, they must be lifted and put in a cot. ( I have two cots and a travel in one small room so space can be found)

I would insist that your child is put down in a cot.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 18-Jul-08 16:07:59

Lovely ole OFSTED again

NorkyButNice Fri 18-Jul-08 16:10:27

My Mum used to childmind. Little kids would always be put upstairs in a cot for sleeps - toddlers would either curl up in the playpen for a nap (I know MN doesn't approve of playpens but this meant the dog couldn't bother them while they slept!), or climb into the buggy by themselves for a sleep. The buggy was inside the hallway though, not outside!

FAQ Fri 18-Jul-08 16:14:57

just out of interest - what would happen Shoshe if a parent had specifically told the CM that if their child falls asleep in the buggy on a walk they should be left there?

Do OFSTED still say they have to be moved?

JenniPenni Fri 18-Jul-08 16:15:44

I have 3 travel cots for the kids I look after. I wouldn't put them in the buggy to sleep... this has only happened when we are out and they get tired. I then transfer them and resettle them in the cot when they are back home with me. I supply clean sheets and kiddy blankets, mums provide gro-bags.

My one little boy has just transferred to a big boys bed at home so I got him a kiddy sleeping bag (the three little pigs!) which he loves! I didn't want him getting mixed messages with being at a cot at my home and out of a cot at his home.

JenniPenni Fri 18-Jul-08 16:17:12

ps: My younger kids have a 30min-45min nap in the am (I ask mum what length of time she would like them to sleep, trying to keep home routines same for the child as much as possible), they then all go down for 2 hours from 1pm to 3pm.

Love2bake Fri 18-Jul-08 17:01:07

Im a CM and use a travel cot for naps.

I would say to the CM that your DD is coming home over-tired and she really needs to sleep in the travel cot during the day.

aGalChangedHerName Fri 18-Jul-08 17:41:06

As a CM, what i agree to do for a parent is between us ie,letting a child sleep in a buggy, and what i tell the CC is another.

I have had parents whose children will only sleep in a buggy after a shoogle and refuse to sleep elsewhere. What do you do? It is difficult. If the choice is between sleeping in a buggy or no sleep at all i let them sleep in the buggy.

Tas1 Fri 18-Jul-08 17:52:52

As a CM, I use a travel cot.
But if a child fell asleep in the buggy while out and was still asleep when I got home, I would leave them to sleep in the buggy rather than trying to lift them out and into cot.
Depending on what other children I have that day and what activities we are doing, drop off's and pick up's etc,I always try to keep to their normal nap times where possible.
If it is causing problems when you get home, I would ask CM to try to keep to childs nap time if possible.

Pannacotta Fri 18-Jul-08 18:06:55

I think you should tell the CM your DD is over-tired when you collect her and needs her naps during the day, it is not good for any 11 month old not to sleep during the day, they need their rest.
If you think your DD will go down in a travel cot rather than a pram (will it be mrome peaceful?) then just ask your CM to use the this for her rests.
You are paying your CM to care for your DD so please dont be afraid to ask for what you want and she needs.

KaySamuels Fri 18-Jul-08 19:14:30

I go with what the child needs/is used to.

If a parent wants their child to continue their nap in a buggy after a school run I do, but I have a permission slip for this.

If a baby will only sleep put down in a travel cot I do that too.

I would have a good chat with her, your LO is too young to go all day without a nap, and if she goes down like this at home and at gps I'm sure she would at cm's too. Perhaps cm is apprehensive that your dd will get upset??

Everyone is right, Ofsted saying putting down to nap in a buggy is a no no. As aGal says if this is the only way a child would sleep though I would do it.

Shoshe Fri 18-Jul-08 19:23:05

FAO, I have a permission slip that parents have to sign, requesting that their child remain in the buggy to sleep, (but to be honest, I have never needed it as I dont have much room for a buggy in the house, so usually move them up to their cot.)

FAQ Fri 18-Jul-08 19:25:45

thanks Shoshe (sorry for thread hi-jack btw) - really quite rhetorical really as the only DS I have that was IMPOSSIBLE to move once settled is now 7yrs old grin.

Just wondered what would happen with children like him with regards to the OFSTED rules - as there wouldn't have been a chance in hell of anyone getting him settled again when he woke up being moved lol

bigdonna Fri 18-Jul-08 20:58:50

i have a permission slip for minded children that fall asleep, to sleep in buggy.even though i do transfer to a more compfortable place.

fizzbuzz Fri 18-Jul-08 21:32:19

My dd will not sleep in a buggy and never has despite my best efforts. My cm uses a cot, but she wouldn't have the option of a buggy or dd would never sleep.

I would not be happy about the buggy stuff

MummytoWillow Fri 18-Jul-08 22:06:22

Thanks so much for your replies.

If my daughter fell asleep in the buggy on a walk then of course I wouldn't expect her to be moved, but the CM is putting her in the buggy either inside or outside and expecting her to sleep, sometimes even putting both babies at the same time, there is no way my DD will sleep with another baby next to her? hmmI can't understand why she wouldn't put her down in a cot, she only has one baby during the school holidays, so would get two hours to do other bits and bobs she needed to do, so surely it would be easier for her!

I know she has got a travel cot as she keeps promising to bring it out, I've sent a grobag and comfort blanket and she still isn't sleeping!! She gets home, is shattered, won't have her last bottle then gets me up at 4.30 wanting to play and her bottle!

So I can even specify what time she is to nap as well? I thought I had to follow her routines within reason?

KaySamuels Fri 18-Jul-08 22:20:32

Your cm should be working with parents to put th child first,
so in your case your cm should be doing everything in her power to ensure your dd doesn'tleave her house over tired.

And yes I do think within reason you should be able to suggest times. CMs have to balance group needs obviously so if cm always goes out in a morning or at 3pm for example, that will affect things. hth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now