Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What am I going to do? (pay)

(20 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Fri 18-Jul-08 07:55:54

Mum of 3 of my mindees was supposed to start her new job next week now they have told she can't start for at least 2 to 3 weeks, she's already had this week off unpaid I think she might try and get me to waiver some of my fee's but I'm depending on that money I can't manage without it, I've planned to have her dc's, she is contracted to pay me for holidays for her older 2 and part time for her under 5.

It's an awful situation for her and I do understand if she's not being paid she can't afford to pay me etc BUT at the same time I need the money too.

This is the 3rd or 4th time something like this has occured and I've wondered if I will end up getting my money, the dc's are lovely to look after and I don't think she does it on purpose to make me worry. It's really rubbish all round BUT the bottom line is that I'm relying on being paid for the summer hols and without that money I'll be deep in debt sad

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 18-Jul-08 10:56:32

lmg - it's a horrible situation but it's her problem not yours she's got to pay you.
Not that that will stop you feeling guiltysad

JenniPenni Fri 18-Jul-08 11:31:18

A difficult one

She is legally obligated to pay you though, and it IS her problem, not yours. These things happen sometimes. Sad but true. I hope her job is sorted soon.

Please let us know how you get on x

imananny Fri 18-Jul-08 11:38:51

agree legally she has to pay you, assume you have a contract with starting date and therefore she has to stick with it

It is NOT your problem that her work startdate has been set back

as i said on someone else post, you dont do CM for fun, but it is a career and a buisness and you have mortgages/bills to pay and you RELY on that money,just as nannies reply on their wages each month!!

Hope you get it sorted!

looneytune Fri 18-Jul-08 12:14:31

LMG's - agree with everyone else and tbh, if this is who I think it is then she's been very lucky with you being so accomodating anyway with all the changing of mind recently (sorry if got the wrong person but sure you know what I mean).

NOT your problem, she has to pay, end of!

LoveMyGirls Fri 18-Jul-08 12:28:14

Yes it is the one you're thinking of LT, I've been extremely accomodating and this is the last straw really sad I need to hope she manages to get something temp in between jobs, I know she has to pay me, im just worried she will disappear and not pay me and i'll have to chase her through the courts, I can't afford to wait for this money, I need it so badly.

Thanks for your support everyone it really helps having other people understanding why I can't just let it go.

LoveMyGirls Sat 19-Jul-08 19:27:31

They called me today to say they don't have the money to pay mesad

They arent bringing the dc's this week because they can't even afford the petrol over to me.

What would you all do?

Give notice then chase through courts if they don't pay?

Kepp them and see how it pans out, hoping when mum returns to work in a few weeks she will be able to pay me when she gets paid (Which will be ages because she's starting a new job!)

littlestarschildminding Sat 19-Jul-08 19:38:34

withdraw care straight away if they haven't paid...give notice if they don't pay straight away...try and agree a payment plan with them to pay the money they owe you back over a period of time.Failing that then off to court you go. Make sure all steps are done in writing.

This is your business LMG and you need to look for new little ones who ARE going to be a little more reliable!

Let us know how you get on.


LoveMyGirls Sat 19-Jul-08 19:52:54

They don't owe me money yet but will do, they have no idea when I will get any money, if i give notice I doubt they will pay me anything, just wait for me to take them to court. They don't need care for the next 3 weeks (i'm away the 3rd week anyway but charge half fee) so they would only need me to work the 4th week and if I refused to care for their children unless they can pay me for the previous 3 weeks I don't know what would happen, I very much doubt they would pay me tbh I think they will pay me as and when they have the funds to do it in the meantime my overdraught is getting ridiculous if I keep them on and they do come good and pay me it will clear my overdraught. If I give notice and they don't pay me and I have to take them to court it will take ages and my overdraught will probably go over its limit.

LoveMyGirls Sat 19-Jul-08 19:54:59

I can fill my places again by october but by then I will be in a right state (Owing 2k on overdraught and 1k on dp's credit card) with my finances sad I hoped by being busy over the summer I could sort our debts out and start on an even keel again.

LoveMyGirls Sat 19-Jul-08 19:58:48

Dp's car is due an MOT in the next couple of weeks as well (he's says to get through the MOT he needs to spend £500 on it) he can't do without a car because he works too far away with no public transport near enough for him to get to work on time, you can't even get a bus to our house from town after 6pm. I can't do without a car because in october I will have 3 nursery/ school runs to do without 30mins, I just can't manage without the car. Dd1's birthday is in 2 weeks plus we're taking them away camping, god what a mess. It's not the end of the world, we'll survive, we've got our health and each other etc etc but it's a really harsh blow, I thought finally we were sorting ourselves out, the past few years have been a struggle finacially and I was hoping this was the start of us being out of the overdraught/ credit card cycle for a bit.

littlestarschildminding Sat 19-Jul-08 20:06:55

LMG...what a fix sad

I guess then hang on and hope they come good. I would make it very clear to them about your financial situation. In the meantime I would start doing some low key recruiting so you have set the ball rolling for after the summer just in case they don't come good.

Hope it works out.


LoveMyGirls Sat 19-Jul-08 20:50:38

Would I be a total mug if I offered to accept half fee's (but not actually provide care) for the next 3 weeks until she is working again then obviously it would be full, at least that way I stand a good chance of getting most of the money and not being totally screwed?

vInTaGeVioLeT Sat 19-Jul-08 21:08:08

LMG - how awful sad
i don't think you'd be a total mug to accept half-fee's - if it was me i think that's would be what i would do TBH.
hope things work out for you.

LoveMyGirls Sat 19-Jul-08 21:45:38

I'm worried if I do offer to accept half fee's they still won't be able to afford it but will think I'm a soft touch and try to get me to lower the cost even more which I really can't afford but I also can't afford to lose them altogether or to wait for the money by taking them to court.

nannynick Sat 19-Jul-08 22:50:40

Is this family worth the hassle? Are you getting enquiries from other families wanting childcare?
I would be inclined to give notice now... and start trying to fill the places it creates. If the mum does start work, she could contact you to see if the spaces are still available.

Mums employer sounds possibly unreliable, why give a start date and then change it - do you know who the employer is... are they a large enough firm to be a good bet long-term? Economic climate is impacting on small firms, some may not survive much longer unless things pick-up.

Your situation does not sound good, however you decide to deal with it.

LoveMyGirls Sun 20-Jul-08 21:05:51

If they give notice and leave I can survive but would be better if they stay and pay me obviously. If they leave now and I have to chase them through courts I'll be totally screwed. If I can keep them until end of sept I can replace them then but got no-one in the pipeline wanting the places until october. Very unlikely anyone is going to want childcare this side of the summer hols, those that needed it have already sorted it those who havent but are going to start work will wait until sept when dc's go back to school so I need to try and keep this family until the end of summer at least if I can as long as they are going to pay me.

KaySamuels Mon 21-Jul-08 09:03:16

Oh what a pickle lmg sad, if you need to keep them n for now, make sure you get any fee agreements in writing with signatures on both sides in case you need to chase them for any money. I agree you should make it clear how much you need the money too.

Some parents just don't seem to get that we do this to feed our kids and pay our bills, it is a business not a hobby. angry hmm

I would't keep them on long term though as soon as you can replace them do it as they sound more hassle than you need!

KaySamuels Mon 21-Jul-08 09:05:13

Nannynick makes a good point about small businesses, I do think I am becoming more stringent about who I take on, thinking long term rather than jus filling spaces available. We are a small business too and needs to protect our income - forftunately for cms the finncial climate means people need to work.

JenniPenni Mon 21-Jul-08 10:20:27

I am afraid from the sounds of it it looks like you wont be paid, she has a habit of doing this too... so rather send them notice due to non payment and start looking for other kids asap. You have bills to pay too, I am sure she doesnt expect you to hang around, waiting for her to pay you.

You do not need the hassles that problem people bring you.. childminding is demanding enough as it is. You deserve better than that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: