Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Any cms doing the NVQ Level 3 in home based childcare?

(9 Posts)
TJ1976 Thu 17-Jul-08 15:37:31

Hi there,
I've been thinking of starting my NVQ after the summer. I can't commit to 1 night at college per week for the next 2-3 yrs so I will be doing the diploma through NEC as distance learning. Has anyone chosen this way? I recently passed the first unit, ICP. There was a fair amount of written work which I was happy to do. The exam was very tough I felt. It was multiple choice and you could easily misunderstand some of the questions. I'm so glad to have got it over with. I would be interested to hear any of your views on the diploma and how you're finding it.

Ripeberry Thu 17-Jul-08 15:57:55

Bump! I've also just done the ICP and yes the questions are quite tricky but its supposed to be the easiest part of the diploma!
If you search google and put in words like "chilminding clubs/forums" you may come up with sites run by childminders and they are discussing this type of thing all the time.

TJ1976 Thu 17-Jul-08 17:50:33

Thanks Ripeberry. I was told by my tutor that the ICP test was the hardest part of the diploma. I will check out some forums as well. thanks

Ripeberry Fri 18-Jul-08 09:12:32

Depends if you are good at writting essays!
I've not done one since i was 18yrs old!
Good luck with carrying on with the diploma.

JenniPenni Fri 18-Jul-08 11:33:36

Hi, I have just started it too... and will send in my first assignment soon. I also haven't done any studies since I got my design degree in 1995 (eons ago!), so it's been quite a thing putting my student hat on again

Love2bake Fri 18-Jul-08 14:10:10

I am currently doing the Diploma. I don't need to do unit 1 as I did the ICP years ago, have finished unit 2 and started unit 3.

I am not doing as distance learning though. Although may as well be for all the use my tutor is !!!

Have you got the text book that accompanies the course, it's really helpful.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 18-Jul-08 14:15:31

Yes, I have recently handed in assignment for units 2 and 3.

Was agony.

The essays are expected to be between 5 and 13,000 words, lots of cross referencing and personal research.

The actual course content is v interesting and useful, lots to apply to my own setting, but uuuurgh to the essay writing.

(25 years since I last wrote an essay eeeek

I am doing it through the local college, who have managed to condense 2 academic years' tution into one calendar year -started in January this year, will finish at Christmas.

HTH

TJ1976 Fri 18-Jul-08 17:17:23

I did my ICP through distance learning as when I registered as a childminder a couple of years ago, I couldn't sit the exam as I just had a baby. All that I had prepared for and learnt in my ICP course i attended went out of the window! I sat the ICP last week after going through the unit again. I was expected to write essays and do other coursework which didn't go towards my end mark but prepared me for the exam. My tutor has been great so far. She is always on email when I've needed her and gave me some brilliant support and tips. As the experience was much better through distance learning than sitting through the ICP course itself, I feel confident to tackle the other units. I'm happy I can do it under my own steam as well. Its good to hear all the feedback. I just want to get it over with!

Emzy6113 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:24:39

Hi girlies I was wondering where the best place is to enrol to do my level 3 in childcare I'm a childminder and I can only work from home really as I have my youngest daughter there with me to so any recommendations would be very helpful 😊
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now