Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this a bad sign?

(11 Posts)
MilkyChopsKid Thu 17-Jul-08 08:56:05

I'm trying to sort out childcare for DD for the autumn when I go back to work. We are moving before I go back to work and so finding childcare forty miles away has been difficult.

I thought I had found a CM who had a good set-up and interacted well with my DD. I've emailed and left phone messages to say that we would like her to look after DD but she hasn't got back to me. I haven't heard anything for a week now. We had a great deal of trouble booking to meet her when we went to visit as well.

Do I go elsewhere now? I know CMs are busy but this is stressing me out as I have to apply for flexible working based on the days she can do, and I'm trying to sell my flat which is tough as well

Thanks for advice.

eleanorsmum Thu 17-Jul-08 08:58:35

might she be on hols?

MilkyChopsKid Thu 17-Jul-08 09:08:44

I don't think so eleanorsmum, I got a response to my email last Saturday from her DH/DP saying he would print out the email for her to read. He didn't mention holidays.

aGalChangedHerName Thu 17-Jul-08 09:09:59

Do you have her number? Try phoning her?

Hope you can sort it out x

dilbertina Thu 17-Jul-08 09:10:37

Do you not have a phone number for her? Could you try and find it out?

MilkyChopsKid Thu 17-Jul-08 09:19:20

I phoned on Tuesday, got a machine and left a message. Perhaps I should just keep trying, but is beginning to make me angry partly because I'm also waiting for somebody else to decide if they want to buy my flat, which isn't the CM's fault!

MilkyChopsKid Thu 17-Jul-08 09:21:58

Oh and my flexible working app has to be in early next week and the days the CM can do would not be the ones I would pick if I had a choice. Of course I have to put the days I'd be working on the application.

Sorry if I'm just venting!

SimpleAsABC Thu 17-Jul-08 10:49:39

She might be on hol and her husband hasn't mentioned it as he thought she would have!

Rocky12 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:01:45

I dont think it is a good sign. If she is like this before you even use her what is she going to be like once you are in place. I wouldnt be surprised if when you finally get hold of her she says she was just about to call you to tell you she now doesnt have the space.

I know how difficult organising childcare can be and this woman does not bode well in my humble opinion. I would be tempted to just keep calling she actually picks up or send her an email asking her to let you know one way or the other!

MilkyChopsKid Thu 17-Jul-08 14:52:07

Exactly right Rocky12 - top marks!!

I phoned again, she picked up whilst I was leaving a message. She doesn't now have the space as she saw somebody else the next day who took it immediately.

Our alternative was a nursery, good OFSTED report, actually cheaper than a CM as it is subsidised more by my employer. My worry with nurseries is that there are always some babies just sitting there on their own, are they on their own all day if they don't seek attention? Nurseries can seem so corporate, although they wouldn't keep me waiting like this CM has done.

Is anybody willing to reassure me about nurseries on the childminders topic [cheeky icon]?

imananny Thu 17-Jul-08 16:51:20

how annoying for you, but guess least you found out before you had left your child there, that the cm was unreliablesad

Why she couldnt have sent you a letter/email/call you to say that her plans had chnaged, is just bloody rude imo!!!

Hope you manage to sort out childcare asap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now