Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

that programme about au-pairs

(9 Posts)
nametaken Wed 16-Jul-08 21:38:03

I'm in total shock is anyone watching it. It's called Personal Services on Channel 4.

The women looking for au-pairs are complete and utter bitches. One gave the au-pair a 3 hour old burger for her dinner and one demanded the au-pair wash her car.

Good grief, I didn't think people like this existed.

ingles2 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:48:10

nametaken are you on the telly addicts thread about this?

nametaken Wed 16-Jul-08 21:56:21

oh, I'll go over there then, thanks

TheHolyGrail Thu 17-Jul-08 09:59:09

Was a real shock er though!!!! how NOT to treat other people esp. from foreign countries.

stressed2007 Thu 17-Jul-08 14:02:35

I thought the one that asked the chap to wash the car was actually a really nice woman and was very respectful to all au pairs - am I WIERD? The other lady was a maniac

MumOfOne73 Thu 17-Jul-08 14:27:52

I think the problem is that the people on that show thought that an au pair is like a nanny/cleaner/slave all rolled into one... That woman with the brown hair actually said that she wanted an au pair because the nanny was costing her too much and she wanted someone who would look after her child and do all the cleaning !!!!

stressed2007 Thu 17-Jul-08 21:06:26

I did nlt think that spending alloted (and not excessive) time looking after kids and doing general housework was that far from what an au pair coud be expected to do but maybe I am wrong.

catepilarr Thu 17-Jul-08 21:44:11

well i think there is something seriously wrong with this program. and i am not talking about the behaviour of the families. none of the "aupairs" were aupairs.you cant be aupair in your own country - the british "aupair"
russians cant come as aupairs either and didnt even catch the nationality of the guy but guessing he is not from a country on the list?!
plus how can they make work these people for three full days even if it is a trial shock and pretend that's ok?? where has the cultural exchange part of it gone??
what sort of message is this sending to prospective families? i am sure it shocked the most, but i am also sure some will think oh this is how you do it shock.
in my view they should have go over the basice principal of cultural exchange called aupair programme to make people aware what it is all about! i guess since a lot of people (understandably) use the internet to search for aps and not the agencies, a lot of people dont actually know anything about it. which is really bad. uff, had to vent.

catepilarr Thu 17-Jul-08 22:40:56

i've watched the program about housekeepers too and i am shocked about what some people want to be done for them... would have been helpful to know what they advertised for.

http://www.channel4.com/video/personal-services-required/catchup.html#popover

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now