Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: A WWYD question :)

(20 Posts)
KaySamuels Wed 16-Jul-08 20:07:57

I cm for a friend's 8m old baby FT, but she gave me notice as she left her job without another to go to. Mindee's last day is this Friday.

I have a new mindee, a 3yr old boy who goes to nursery with my ds, who will come PT, 3 full days.

Mum of 8m old came today and said 'mindee may only be gone a week as I think I have a new ft job lined up'.

Trouble is I now have new mindee, can't have all of them (also have a 1yr old PT) and when new mindee started I emailed ofsted asking for a variation for new business and they turned me down.

The said they don't do variation for new business but |I know they do, when I said this they said 'oh well they must have gotten around it somehow'. hmm

If I can't get a variation which doesn't look likely) I will have to say goodbye to a mindee. sad

From a business point of view I would give notice to 1yr old as only PT, half days which are awkward for nursery runs. Also this is the mindee ds is very upset by so it would alleviate that issue too but I will feel terrible doing it. Need to look at this financially though....

KatyMac Wed 16-Jul-08 20:30:02

Existing child about to leave
Apply for variation for new child
They said no
Existing child leaves
New child starts
Existing child wants to come back?

I'd apply for a new variation to re-care for existing child who now wants to come back...I think?

KatyMac Wed 16-Jul-08 20:30:21

Or get rid of new child

sunnyshine Wed 16-Jul-08 20:41:35

have friends who take on child for one day(ie spare day where not over numbers) then ask ofsted for variation as parents have asked for more days. this way you have an exsisting mindee who requires more days! just an idea?

KaySamuels Wed 16-Jul-08 20:45:27

New child started already and settled in, and came from only other local childminder where kids had been excluding him die molluscum (skin condition) and other issues, he and ds get along really well (which is great fo ds), and mum is very on my wavelength. So wouldn't give notice to newbie mindee.

Katymac, DP said that, explain to Ofsted mindee's mum hs revoked/retracted(?) notice and now wants to stay but have settled in a new child already. Do you think they would go for it though?

I have a headache!! hmm

I know cms on here have had variations for new mindees, think dmo, wonder how she did it?? grin

KaySamuels Wed 16-Jul-08 20:48:36

That's how I got 8m old FT sunnyshine, needed a variation then, baby started and an existing child left shorty after so only needed that variation for a few weeks.

I asked for a variation only a week ago though for these mindees so can't really go down that route as it is already on record that 3yr old is new mindee.

Have had to do settling in around PT mindees hours so I didn't go over my numbers.

aGalChangedHerName Thu 17-Jul-08 07:21:23

Have exactly the same problem atm Kay. Current mindee's mum was being made redundant and gave verbal notice and said as she couldn't find another job to look for someone else.

So got new mindee (who is lovely) and then old mum says we don't have to leave as job are keeping her on. Arrrggghhh

So phone CC and ask horrid inspector for variation for 4 under 5 from August till January. No it's never done for new business she says. But it's to keep on current business says i.

Have to get letters from current and new parent to say they are all fine with it and she will decide. I know shes gonna say no. I know 3 other CM's who have 4 under 5 and they have only been registered for around a year. I have been CMing for nearly 14 years.sad

Def depends on your inspector i reckon!!

KaySamuels Thu 17-Jul-08 07:31:09

It is annoying isn't it when you know it's one rule for one, and a different rule for another! angry

Hmm, might ring them up today and see what they advise. hmm

aGalChangedHerName Thu 17-Jul-08 07:35:18

It is annoying that the CC and Ofsted are meant to be impartial and treat all CM's the same but that does not happen up here.

I really don't know what i will say to current mindee's mum. She relys on me so much and does not want to take lo elsewhere. New mindee is more money tho and i would be crazy to let ehr go.

KaySamuels Thu 17-Jul-08 07:40:12

I am the same will feel terrible if I have to give notice, 1yr old settled in with me really well despite never being left with anyone before, and runs in now and won't even say bye to mum!

I too need to look at it financially, we got a mortgage arrears letter yesterday. sad

If you figure out what to say let me know!

aGalChangedHerName Thu 17-Jul-08 07:43:52

Will do Kay. Good luck and let me know how you get on?

KaySamuels Thu 17-Jul-08 07:54:36

Yes you too. smile

Booh Thu 17-Jul-08 12:12:54

I have ALWAYS got a variation for 4 under 5 and all of them have been for new busines.

The last one I did was for this

dd starts school in Sep (not full time till jan)

DS who is 2

Mindee 1 who is also 2

Mindee 2 who is one - new buiness

The last variation I had was for a 4 year old who starts school and mindee 2 is taking his placse.

the only reason I can think of is why I got it is there is no childminders or nursurys around here with space!!! We had 4 childminders give up in the last 6months

KaySamuels Thu 17-Jul-08 12:19:13

Booh tell me more grin

can't understand why some are getting them and some not. The lady told me we never give them out for new business - that's just not true!! hmm

aGalChangedHerName Thu 17-Jul-08 13:39:46

Yeah i was told exactly that Kay. When i said i knew minders who had variations for 4 under 5 she hummed and hawed and said i could send in documentation to support my request. She is a prize cow and i know she will not let me do it.

Booh Thu 17-Jul-08 14:12:49

I think that you just need to keep on at them..........I ALWAYS use the guilt trip thing with them 'Well the parents came to me through a recomenendation, I see the child at toddlers groups etc with me, so I know them in passing, and where on earth would this child go if I can't look after them as every where else is full!' Hasn't failed yet!

And put it all in writing, e-mail them everyday, and say you will appeal if they say no

Good luck!

KaySamuels Fri 18-Jul-08 18:43:17

Well I spoke to Ofsted today and explained the situation, the woman said I should put in a request again stating that the mindees are all settled with me, and how the new mindee came to me (emotional reasons for leaving only ther local minder).

Soo.. I am going to email them again tonight. grin KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR ME!

Baby's has her new job starts in a week, and her mum said she can help out until I get sorted.

I really hope this comes together, all the mindees are so nice.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 18-Jul-08 18:48:16

fingers crossed for you

I got a variation to have two sets of siblings for a two month period, already ahd a pair of brothers who are due to leave end of July, plus mindee with new baby started in June IYSWIM. I wrote a letter and it came through in about a week shock

Inconsistencies abound [understatement] at OFSTED doncha think ?

nannynick Fri 18-Jul-08 18:55:01

Good luck Kay.
I e-mailed Ofsted this week, and they would not accept a variation request via e-mail without a signature. Luckly I have my signature as a JPG file, so attached that and re-sent the e-mail.
But just to warn you, Ofsted were being picky about that earlier this week - so include a signature with your e-mail if you can.

KaySamuels Fri 18-Jul-08 19:00:13

I have had that too nannynick and katymac kindly offered to scan my ignature and email me it! grin So I now have it whenever I need it.

Definately too many inconsitancies boysarelikedogs. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now