Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Legalities of minding relatives' children.

(17 Posts)
Scotia Tue 15-Jul-08 20:44:25

Out of interest - have seen this on another debate board and thought someone here might be able to give the answer.

Is it legal to mind a relative's children for payment? I know it isn't in the case of friends, but was aways undEr the impression that grandparents can be paid for minding tHeir grandchildren.

LIZS Tue 15-Jul-08 20:47:31

I thought if any payment changed hands they should be registered, not least because they could qualify for Early Years Funding that way. If not paid then immediate family are ok.

Hulababy Tue 15-Jul-08 21:00:14

I am pretty sure that grandparents are expemt even if paid. Not sure about other relatives though - probably not.

I look after my godson (friend's DS) one day a week unpaid and I do not need to be registered. I checked it all out in advance witht he childminding association type people.

navyeyelasH Tue 15-Jul-08 21:28:54

I thought that close relatives couldn't register for care.. so I'd assume because of this it means that it is legal to pay close family without being registered?

But you would still need insurance on the car if payment was made but you would not need insurance if family did it for free.

I am not totally 100% sure about this though as I've not read about it properly however I seem to have read around it when looking at ofsted leaflets.

Good luck with it!

Scotia Tue 15-Jul-08 21:29:19

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought the same as Hulababy.

Scotia Tue 15-Jul-08 21:31:46

Oh, I'm not doing it - just read a debate on another site about it and there is some disagreement about what is legal and what's not.

nannynick Tue 15-Jul-08 22:56:58

Childcare Act 2006 says:
~~~ Begin Quote ~~~
18(4) “Childcare” does not include care provided for a child by—
(a) a parent or step-parent of the child;
(b) a person with parental responsibility for the child;
(c) a relative of the child;
(d) a person who is a local authority foster parent in relation to the child;
(e) a person who is a foster parent with whom the child has been placed by a voluntary organisation;
(f) a person who fosters the child privately.

18(8) “relative”, in relation to a child, means a grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother or sister, whether of the full blood or half blood or by marriage or civil partnership.
~~~ End Quote ~~~

You can also locate the exemption for care by relatives in the Registration of childcare providers from September 2008 (Ref.080043) document published by Ofsted.

navyeyelasH Tue 15-Jul-08 23:19:00

nannynick I have to say this you are simply incredible blush ps. your website is also awesome!

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 15-Jul-08 23:20:48

I agree

Nick is a God to me

[mega crush]

nannynick Tue 15-Jul-08 23:32:23

blush

I just like research... bit of a boring sod grin

navyeyelasH Tue 15-Jul-08 23:53:07

We need a new brown nose emotion smiley thingy-ma-jig. wink

navyeyelasH Wed 16-Jul-08 00:26:51

Can I hijack this thread a little seems as how the OP's Q has been answered.

Can someone tell me how I can add a picture to my profile thing please?

Thanks!

Scotia Wed 16-Jul-08 12:02:28

Thanks so much for that nannynick.

Hulababy Wed 16-Jul-08 20:17:43

Presumably it means that any of those people on the list can be paid by parents to look after the child, without it being an issue.

nannynick Wed 16-Jul-08 22:00:20

I would presume so. Also that tax credits could not be used, as it would not be approved/registered care.

nannynick Wed 16-Jul-08 22:02:48

Though Godparent I don't see on the list, so looks like a godchild is not considered to be a relative.

Hulababy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:03:50

No, I am not a relative but I dont get paid, nor recieve any other tangible reward. I do it because I want to, not for any benefit in kind - unless you count the pleasure of spending time with my godson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now