Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

advice needed re nanny etc

(5 Posts)
beforesunrise Tue 15-Jul-08 19:56:33

hello all- i had my second baby 2 months ago and am currently on mat leave. i have had the same nanny since going back to work two years ago, dd1 loves her and by and large i think we've had a very positive experience and relationship. initially when i went on mat leave i asked whether she would be happy to look for part time work for the period sept-january as i wouldn't be able to keep her full time, but i value her and would love to be able to keep her full time when i go back in january.

initially she agreed- then about 3 weeks ago she told me she'd changed her mind and wanted to find full time work. i was gutted at first, but came round to the fact that it was just not meant to be. in the meantime i interviewed a couple more people for the position and think i have found someone who could work out.

however, on monday she told me that she has potentially found a matching family and so would be willing to reconsider. i am going away on sunday for 6 weeks so need to decide quickly what to do!

on the one hand- she is really quite good, dd1 loves her, she is tried and tested etc.

on the other- i wonder whether this wouldn't be a second best solution for her and she would let me down eventually if she finds something full time? morover i had sort of come to term with the fact she is leaving and i am now struggling to change plans yet again.

finally- there is a (remote) possibility that we may be leaving london for good int he fall, and i feel that it would really screw her over if we left (as she would still be locked in a contract with the other family). even though she has been less than clear about her future plans, i wouldn't want to do that to her...

so- what would you do in my position?

HarrietTheSpy Tue 15-Jul-08 20:24:40

Be as up front as possible about your plans re the move and then let her decide. Tell her you appreciate that she has to do what's right for her.

AtheneNoctua Tue 15-Jul-08 21:18:12

I'd keep her. But get the contract terms in writing immediately. Or if you are continuing under an existing contract write an amendment to it that stipulates the hours, the dates the ours change, etc.

How long is her notice period?

imananny Tue 15-Jul-08 21:33:22

how remote is it that you may move?

Did you mention this to the nannies you interviewed?

friend took on a job as sole charge nanny,and 3 weeks into it,family said they were moving many miles away as new job had been offered (obv had gone for the interview, so MUST have known it was a possibitly that db might have got it) - needless to say my friend was very pissed off!!

Your nanny was prob only covering her back, it is VERY hard to find a temp job for a few months to fit in with a mb ml - so prehaps she was worried that she might not find work, and as soon as she did, she said to you about it

i would keep your original nanny and see what happens

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 15-Jul-08 21:39:42

Presumably you mean she's suggesting setting up a nanny share?

I would be tempted to stay with her, from the point of view of continuity of care for your dd.

Your contract is just with her and she will have a second contract with the other family. It is a fact of life that with a share either party is likely to terminate at different stages.

However, as soon as you know if your plans to move away are more concrete I would tell her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now