Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you pay a CM a booking fee when you agree to place your child with them?

(10 Posts)
eenybeeny Tue 15-Jul-08 11:10:59

I am beginning to be interviewed by parents so I will be ready to go when my registration comes through. In fact I have someone coming around today. If she says she wants to place her DC with me do I get any sort of booking fee to hold the place? I know I paid a booking fee for a pre-school we were thinking (but decided against) sending DS to of £20.

eenybeeny Tue 15-Jul-08 11:34:11

PinkChick Tue 15-Jul-08 12:36:54

you cant charge ANYTHING until you are actually regsitered-officially- however i would charge a retainer once you are registered up to the date they want to start their child with you..of half whatever their fee will be.
HTH

eenybeeny Tue 15-Jul-08 14:01:53

thanks!

beansprout Tue 15-Jul-08 17:41:18

I am going to pay a deposit but not a fee.

nannynick Tue 15-Jul-08 18:51:51

deposit - sounds as though it is refundable.

retainer fee - isn't refundable, it holds the place open.

I would suggest charging a retainer fee, for any period in which the childcare place is being reserved for that child. If a new minder, you don't have a childcare place until you are in receipt of your certificate.

PinkChick Tue 15-Jul-08 20:07:33

i cahrge a deposit for over 8's (as they dont count in ratio's) and retainers for under 8's

PinkChick Tue 15-Jul-08 20:08:27

oh and deposit is/and is confirmed to parents its purely to HOLD place, not to be taken off first months fee's (i normally charge £50-as long as normal feed until the time they start would not be less)

fizzbuzz Tue 15-Jul-08 20:08:48

My cm charged me a retainer, it is quite normal tbh

Fadge Thu 17-Jul-08 14:18:46

I think it's reasonable to charge a retainer if a parent wants a place holding open for them for a period of time, after all you are not able to sell that place to anyone else in the time being are you?

How much a retainer is should be negotiable, but usual is 1/3 to 1/2 of normal fees.

And no you can't charge this until you are registered ( also can't charge for unborn babies either)
If you charge a one off deposit then make clear it is non refundable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now