Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted inspection and an upstairs loo

(5 Posts)
Betty20 Tue 15-Jul-08 10:41:22

Does anyone know how tough OFSTED are in terms of a potential child minder only having an upstairs loo? There are also steep stairs (it's an old cottage) but it does have a lockable door at the bottom and stair gate at the stop.

littlestarschildminding Tue 15-Jul-08 12:30:17

I only have an upstairs loo and haven't had any problems.

LS

dmo Tue 15-Jul-08 13:18:27

i only have an upstairs loo and never been a prom with ofsted or parents

ayla99 Tue 15-Jul-08 14:22:24

I don't have a downstairs loo either. Bit of a pia when potty training but fine for day to day practice, Can be problems when you have parents or ofsted visiting.As you shouldn't leave mindees unattended with any visitor but you need to be discreet and respect privacy if you have to go & help a child in difficulties in wc.

So while I normally do nappy changes in wc, when I have a visitor I do them in the hall so I can still see the mindees & visitor but the child has a little privacy behind the door. If I need to go to kitchen I leave visitor in playroom and take the children with me to kitchen to help play at being waiters/waitresses. If one wants to use the loo and isn't old/capable enough to go alone, I take them all up and queue outside door. (even if they don't want to go they love going up & down the stairs & playing with the soap so happy to go too)

So it works during a school day when I've only got 3 mindees. Not looking forward to an inspection in school holidays!

Betty20 Tue 15-Jul-08 21:45:48

that's all very helpful and encouraging - thanks guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now