Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Question for childminders re: legality of unregistered person

(4 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:21

I am asking this for a friend who was not aware that it was illegal for a person to look after her child if they were not registered as a child minder. She is trying to set something up for Septemeber and I told her the rule about not being aloud to pay a person or give payment in kind if they were not registered.

The situation is that a friend of hers has offered to pick up her son from pre-school (my friend can't get back from work in time) and have him for a very short time at home with her two days a week. The total time looking after her son on each of these days including pick up would be less than 45 mintues.

The friend said she is happy to do this without pay, but my friend is not comfortable with this and wants to pay her a little bit to cover petrol costs etc.

So, where does this fall in the lagality issue? My friend would not knowingly break the law so I have made her very worried by saying this may not be legal. Does anyone know if there is a set time under which this rule does not apply?

This has also brought up another issue. The same friend currently has an arrangement with her neighbour who takes the same child to pre-school along with her own child inthe morning one day a week. She is not paid for this, but my friend reciprocates by having her child for a half hour on another day. Is this payment in kind or just an arrangement between friends?

Any clarification on this would be gratefully recieved.

KatyMac Mon 14-Jul-08 22:07:31

Less than 2 hours a day is unregistered and therefore free from any legislation

So she can pay her if she wants

2nd case = same explaination

MaureenMLove Mon 14-Jul-08 22:10:01

That's fine. The rule is, no more than 2 hours, per day, for payment. Neither is more than an hour a day.

IlanaK Mon 14-Jul-08 22:10:56

Excellent - thanks! She will be very relieved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now