Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder /nannies

(49 Posts)
emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 17:08:53

can some one tell me the diffence please

pros and cons

Uwila Fri 04-Feb-05 17:20:50

A childminder works in her own home, and you are one of her clients. She sets the schedule/agenda for the day. You bring your kids to her and pick them up. Her home is her place of work. You are her client, not her emplyer.

A nanny is your employee. She works for you and you alone (unless you take part in a nanny share). You have a world of reponsibilities (look at www.nannytax.co.uk for a good explanation of these responsibilities). The upside is you choose what activities your kids go to (for example swimming lessons, toddler groups, pick up at chool, etc.) You also need to pay for all of these expenses (including nannies method of transportation).

I'm sure many people will be on here very soon to add lots more. I tried just to give basic overview.

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 17:28:17

childminders are registered with OFSTED and inspected by OFSTED. They have to be insured and they have to show to OFSTED they are capable ofcaring for children. Their home is inspected for its suitability and they have to show its safe for a child. They are limited on the numbers/ages of children they may have and are usually paid less as they can take children from more than one family. They are self employed and therefore you have no responsibility for they tax/NI. As they are not your employee you have no employment law you have to follow and that includes maternity pay. Childminders (if they are registered for this) can also take the funding that nursery can accept and take the tax credits the governments offer. They are CRB checked as well. Childminder usually have children of their own and these will be in this environment. Childminders have to be first aiders.

Nannies usually work for one family and are therefore the employee of the family. They therefore charge more and your are responsible for their NI/TAx contributions and you have to make sure that you do not contraviene any relevent employment law. Nannies are not Tax deductable and do not qualify for the tax credits or nursery funding available. Nannies usually work in your home but sometimes in the case of nannyshare situations possible the other families home. They never work in their home as that would have to be registered as a childminder. Nannies are not inspected or monitored by anyone but yourself and you or the nanny would have to pay for a CRB check. Nannies sometimes do family/children's housework. Nannies do not have to have any qualification including first aid. This is left to your specifications and for you to check.

Both are usually left with the children alone. In my expirence Nannies tend to be younger as it is difficult to find work as a nanny when you have children of your own. They own be SAHM or childminders when they have their own children.

I have done both and now currently work in a nursery. For both options it is left to you to make the decision what is right for you and and your family and for you to check the person is suitable to care for your children.

I hope this helps. Throw any questions you like at me!!!!

Sorry for the spelling/sense, trying to cook tea, run baths and have a pampered chef paper tonight!!!!!!!!!

emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 17:31:22

you said you have done both which did you enjoy the most and do you know the average wage for a nanny

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 17:33:46

I know that you have hasd problems with childminder but she was illegal with her numbers

childminders are all ofsteded and have to have first aid and are checked once a year for at least 2 hours. YOUR ONE WAS WRONG.

nannies are not and so employers can get away with what they want pay how much they want and do what ever they want with no checks. Nannies do have good points and I was one bvery happily for many years but there are no regulations or guidlines

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 17:38:54

I liked childminding because I could do my own thing and get my family organised etc at the same time but at the end of the day if the paprent was late my home live was shorter.

I liked nannying because less work and more time for play with the children. You go home at the end of the day and leave your work behind.

Their both very similar jobs but both have very distinct differences for both the parent and nanny. I think on balance probably childminder through as I am a very independent person and generally (I think) don't like being told what and how to do things and as a childminer your not an employee and parents treat you as an equal. This is not always the case as a nanny. However this is a generalisation and I would say the job is always good if you have a good working relationship with the parents regardless of the location/job title.

Are you asking as a parent or perspective childcarer?

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 17:43:51

Sorry forgot to say. Round here (Essex) its about £6ph for a nanny and £3 for a childminder. I charge more than this on both rates because I am qualified, 1st aider, used to run a nurseries and have looked after children since I was 12 (now 31) and have been a full time professional childcarer for nearly 7 years. I think generally with childcare you get what you pay for. If you want a sensible, reliable adult to look after your children you have to pay for it. (I'm not getting on my high horse just cant think of a better way of putting it while trying t comb nits out of my daughters hair!!!!!!!!!!).

Uwila Fri 04-Feb-05 17:59:08

With all due respect, I disagree with you get what youpay for point. I think nannies com in all shapes and sizes. Some have only a year or two of experience but really have a knack for looking adfter children. And other have done it for years, but frankly aren't all that great. I think if you get a nanny, my biggest piece of advice is to feel free to ask anything you want to know, and don't be afraid to check up on them. Have long chats with their references. This is sooooo important.

But, if you don't mind packing the kids up, taking them to childminder, and bringing them home again, I think that childminders have a lot to offer in terms of a fun and education environment. If you get a childminder, I would try to visit her when you can guage her own kids behaviour and happiness. If a childminder is snapping at her own offsring and shoeing them off to talk to you, then you can bet that's how she'll treat your kids whenother parents are around. Likewise, if her kids sit at the table, make pleasant conversation, and eath their vegetables, then that's a really good sign.

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 18:07:35

some parents pay "peanuts" for long hours and expect to have a good reputation as good employers

Uwila Fri 04-Feb-05 18:10:12

Well, alright. I'm excluding those who hire people who aren't qualified for the job. Just meant that some people have valuable experiences that actually makes them wonderful nannies, but they don't really have the usual certificates and references (and perhaps language skills) so they aren't as expensive as some of ther peers. But they can be great nannies.

Uwila Fri 04-Feb-05 18:13:49

The going rate for a nanny depends very much on the job. Like if she lives in or out, the experience she has, haow many hours she works, etc. For example a part time live out nanny will surely cost more per hour than one who works 50-60 hours per week but lives with you.

Also, remember tha on tom of nanny's wage is your employer contributions, the cost of hiring someone to do your taxes, the travel/activity expenses. Her holidays, mat leave, etc.

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 18:16:22

I have a lot of friends/aquantices and know of people who work in all areas of childcare. When I say to get what you pay for I mean I see them out and about, I have been to their homes and see how they treat their children and their charges children and generally if you are good you have a waiting list, or a reason why your not working and work comes your way without you looking too hard. Because you can find work whenever you want generally you are charges the norm or higher. I charge more as a childminder because when I was working full time I was always full and when I was looking for work as a nanny that was the going rate for my experience/qualifications. When working as a nanny/childminder experience counts hughly to your earning power. However there is a point as a nanny where people don't want to employ you because they think you want make babies!!!!

My lovely darlings are in bed YEAH and nit free again (I hope).

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 18:16:49

How do you want your child to speak and learn to read and write?

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 18:19:05

Kangamummy is that a question for me?

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 18:21:14

hopefully for 50-60 hours per wek she is being paid a very fair amount and a sizeable amount of families take home salary for looking after their most precious possession.

I really hope so.

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 18:22:56

no it was for the parents to compare au pairs/nannies from foriegn countries without good written/spoken english with childminder from uk.

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 18:24:19

If they have an overseas nanny/ au pair then their have a understanding or cultural diversity and possibly a second language!!!

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 18:33:19

But 50-60 hours a week for a toddler just starting to talk with someone who doesn't speak the families language whether it is english or not IMHO is too long

If the person with the toddler and baby is from poland for example and does not have good english and is with the baby or toddler for 12 hours a day sole charge I think IMHO is not fair to the toddler or baby

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 18:40:00

I thought au pairs are not allowed to work more than 25 hrs per week under the conditions of there visa

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 18:46:04

Thats is right but some parents get round by calling them nannies

and make them work 10-12 hours per day with sole charge

but only pay them au pair wages

emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 18:49:53

this is getting confusing all i want is a nanny for 6 hours a day the latest time they will finish is 6. so i guess they charge about 6-7 an hr net. so i will have to pay tax and ni.do you think they will walk my dog too? lol

MaryP0p1 Fri 04-Feb-05 18:55:29

Sorry, au pair pretending to be nannies is a bit of a sore subject. 6 -7 per hour sounds about right, depends where you are though. I'd walk your dog but I also do your washing and cleaning. Some nannies are a bit precious about this though because they are nannies not housekeepers. Your way around this is call the job Mothers help!!!!. It doesn't make any sense to me either. Look at www.nannyjob.co.uk and go under the looking for job section and put your area in and your get a good idea of what an reasonable rate. I don't this you have to pay to advertise your job here either. You could also put an ad in your local newsagent or look at the ads

Hope you don't mind me saying but you sound a bit stressed by this finding a nanny thing. I'm sure your find somebody lovely.

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 19:01:46

It is the parents who try to get round the system that make me angry.

They employ from eastern europe where they don't need work visa

And then expect them to work sole charge for 10-12 hours per day

BUT only pay them low wages.

HappyMumof2 Fri 04-Feb-05 19:02:37

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Fri 04-Feb-05 19:04:25

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: