Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Potty training at nursery. Are they allowed bare bums or do they have to wear knickers/trousers?

(7 Posts)
DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 17:43:42

DD3 is 3 dyas into potty training and doing well when she has nothing on her bottom half.

I have just put her in knickers to try and get her ready for nursery on Weds and she has had her first accident.

So my question is this. Is there any chance of her being allowed a bare bum at nursery - or does health and safety prevent this?

nannynick Mon 14-Jul-08 18:13:36

I've never known it to happen in any nursery I've temped in. Children are expected to wear clothing at all times.

However, not all nurseries may adopt that policy, so best thing to do is to ask the nursery staff.

dilemma456 Mon 14-Jul-08 18:14:00

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 18:27:37

I have multi-packs of knickers.

I may keep her home this week (DTDs are opff school anyway) - she should be fully trained by then and be much more confident.

imananny Tue 15-Jul-08 09:58:28

also might be worth checking to see if nursery will accept a child that is being PT - our one wouldnt - they wanted a child that was dry, but obviously would chnage if had an accident etc

often staff dont have time or the one to one to ensure a child can be put on potty every 20mins etc when first training - in friends nursery where her child went, they refused as the child couldnt sit on potty in classroom ( health and safety and also child proection) and had to go to the toilet each time needed a wee and said no

take PLENTY of spare knickers and clothes if the nursery take a child in PT

cmotdibbler Tue 15-Jul-08 10:07:39

They have to be dressed at ours, but they were fine about potty training them. In DS's room the toilets and pottys are in a room just off the main room where they can see it easily and get straight in. The girls offer the potty as frequently as you ask them to - but I think that peer leadership means that they tend to go in groups anyway as soon as one child thinks about it !

DontNeedAnything Tue 15-Jul-08 22:23:02

Yes they do support potty training. DTDs went there (but I can't remember how it all happened with them). It was also mentioned in teh welcome letter to this room that they support potty training at the time of the parents choosing. Their only stipulation is that they are dry by the time they move to the next room at 3. The toilet/changing room is dedicated to this room, within the main room.

As I say - she is very good with a naked bum, and TBH she is hardly weeing in her nappy either, when she has one ATM...she has had 2 dry nights shock. BUT I don't think she is ready to cover up yet without risking accidents. I think I am going to send her in nappies tomorrow. It is only a morning. I think I will aim towards knickers at the weekend and knickers/trousers Mon Tues next week ready for nursery on Weds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now