Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM club - List of policies for Care Commission

(26 Posts)
FromGirders Mon 14-Jul-08 17:29:12

Hi all.
I'm re-registering after moving house, and have been inactive for nine months. As I've moved area, I have a new CC officer, which I'm a bit sad about as my old one was really nice - sensible and reasonable - so I want to get off to a good start with the new lady.
I'm updating all my policies and wondered if anyone could flag up anything new that's expected which has reared its head in the last year. I was due an inspection just before I moved, so it's now nearly two years since my last inspection [shakes in shoes]. Is there anything major missing from my list of policies below?
So far, I have policies on:
admission criteria,
equal opportunities,
admission processes / settling in
children's information details
Register
Confidentiality
child protection
behaviour management and house rules
Smoking
Infection control
medicine administration
emergency procedures
accident and incident reporting
risk assessment
insurance
complaints

In addition i have a permission slip for
application of suncream
application of nappy cream
use of reins
face painting
taking photos of children
use of computer and internet
application of arnica
application of germolene
applicaiton of bee/wasp sting spray.

Right, if anyone is still with me, is there anything else I need to do (other than update this lot, obv).

Ta much.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 14-Jul-08 18:39:01

Special needs policy? Aims and objectives?

Fire evacuation policy? Health and safety policy?

aGalChangedHerName Mon 14-Jul-08 18:39:54

No smoking policy? sorry i am updating mine too so looking through my folder for you lol

aGalChangedHerName Mon 14-Jul-08 18:42:08

Exclusion periods for infectious illnesses?

Healthy eating policy? Sample menu? Nappy changing policy?

Toilet training policy? Record keeping policy?Un-collected child policy?

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 14-Jul-08 18:42:26

Permssion to take the child in your car.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 14-Jul-08 18:44:16

My friend was inspected about 6 weeks ago and they looked in particular at Child Protection and Hygiene afaik.

Are you doing an "All About Me" book?

Fees policy? Termination of contract policy?

aGalChangedHerName Mon 14-Jul-08 18:44:51

Are you in Scotland too Boys?

jillyj Mon 14-Jul-08 19:52:45

remember its not child protection anymore,must be a safeguarding children policy

FromGirders Mon 14-Jul-08 19:54:40

Thanks agalch. Think I've got most of those, although not under the title of "policies". I've got quite a big info section on what I do in a normal day, where I cover healthy eating, toilet training etc, then the "policies" which can't fit into the normal practice section come afterwards.
Umm, a "nappy changing policy"???? I suppose I've got a bit where i say real nappies are welcome and what type of baby wipes I use, but really, a policy?! Must check about un-collected children (sold into slavery in Azerbaijan) and termination of contract (call in Aah-nold) though.
Have never done an "all about me" book, though I do have a three page document for parents to fill in about the child. What do you put in that? In the past my mindees have been babies when they started, but I'm probably having a slightly older child this time.
Ta for all help, and apologies for flippancy - it's been a long day . . .

FromGirders Mon 14-Jul-08 19:55:52

Safeguarding children?! It'll be the same policy with a different title, no?
Why, oh why, can't they just leave things alone . . .

Fadge Mon 14-Jul-08 19:55:54

I know one of the CC focus areas at mo is Infection Control if thats of any help?

What you have listed looks great, don't forget that if you are RE registering they won't expect you to have it all in place just now anyway, in my book ( from last year) the key ones you need are:

Statement of Aims and Objectives
Child Protection
Complaints
Emergency procedure
Accident
Incidnet
Child records form ( inc childds details, emergency contacts, gp details and medication administration/storage)
And if you emply an assistant or work with another minder, whistleblowing policy.

Best of luck

( where are you all based BTW? I'm in Moray)

Fadge Mon 14-Jul-08 19:57:02

I've not been told it's now Safeguarding Children - assumed that was jsut in England/Wales etc?
Our current training booklet still advertising Child Protection course...

jillyj Mon 14-Jul-08 19:58:15

oh. might be then.grin

Fadge Mon 14-Jul-08 20:01:10

Well I'd certainly like to know for sure, got my first inspection proper coming in August!! shock

FromGirders Mon 14-Jul-08 20:03:09

Ta for all help. I think I've got most things covered, now just have to get house ship-shape. Been doing it up for months now. The end is in sight thank goodness, so glad to now have a deadline to get it all done by!
I'm in NE Fife, btw.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 14-Jul-08 22:04:29

As far as i know it's still Child Protection?

Nappy Policy is part of Infection Control maybe? Using gloves and aprons,disinfecting the mat between changes?

We were told to do an "All About Me" books as a way of gathering info and showing evidence of activities ie photographs, child centred questionnaires?

Un-collected child is sort of Child Protection? Checking child id ok and parents ok?

Have any of you done parent questionnaires? CC are v keen on them!!

aGalChangedHerName Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:45

Oh i am in West Lothian smile

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 15-Jul-08 16:47:33

No, I am in SW England - DP is from the Lang Toun IYSWIM

smile

Good luck

jillyj Wed 16-Jul-08 13:52:15

in england it is safeguarding children. you Can loose ofsted poins if you dont have the relavant leaflet and a safeguarding childen policy. if your on a network your coordinator should have let you know all this. if not, give ofsted or ncma a call, they can get leaflets to you.

Fadge Wed 16-Jul-08 19:59:28

Jilly, all due respect, we are in Scotland and things are different wink - no ofsted no ncma

FromGirders Tue 22-Jul-08 13:01:13

Well, it's I-day. two more hours to get my house sparkly, then encourage the kids to play just messily enough so that it doesn't look too immaculate!

aGalChangedHerName Tue 22-Jul-08 23:11:12

How did your inspection go FromGirders? Hope it went well for you x

FromGirders Wed 23-Jul-08 19:21:16

Thank you, it went great actually. CCO seems really nice and reasonable, eg when I grumped about wearing disposable aprons - I really object to throwing out several bits of plastic every day - she said it would be fine to use a pvc one and wipe it down between changes. Also, we were talking about the new paperwork required for grading, and she was quite insistent that I shouldn't have to duplicate paperwork and that forward planning, written meal planners etc weren't necessary. She said that when grading first came in, some of her colleagues were lookingfor that sort of thing, but that over tha last few months and some discussion, they'd decided that that wasn't in the best interests of the children (yay!!).
One thing she said that i wasn't sure about though. I said that I wanted to have my full six places (only had 4 inthe past because my own children and my house were much smaller) so as to leave room for my kids to have playdates round afte school, she said that wasn't necessary. So long as the playdate's mum/carer was just round the corner and could pick up at any time, then I wasn't responsible for the playdate and he/she wouldn't be included in my numbers. However, if playdate's mum was going off shopping and not immediately pick-upable, then I did have responsibility and had to include him. Have you come across this? May have to start another thread to ask the question . .

aGalChangedHerName Thu 24-Jul-08 09:50:08

Hmm not sure that's right tbh. I have always been told that even if my ds2 has a mate in if they are under 8 i think they count in your numbers even if the mum is at home.

I would check that. The CC are so daft at times and they do not treat all CM's the same unfortunately.

Do you do teeth brushing for your lo's? I was told at my last inspection not to do it until it's regulation.

FromGirders Thu 24-Jul-08 11:04:14

Jeez, I wish they'd all get their stories the same. I was told the same as you (without the 8yo proviso) at my initial training. I reckon it's better to tbe safe than sorry to be honest. Although my cco did say she could check it for me if I was unsure. It's not an issue just now, so I'll leave it until I need to know for certain I think.

I've just watched the grading dvd (not very informative, i'd have like some examples of what kind of evidence they'd be looking for) and I'm off to start a thread about experiences of grading. Have you been done yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now