Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parents - What do you expect from your childminder Re After school care? Cm's - What do you provide Re After school care?

(10 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Mon 14-Jul-08 13:40:30

I've been childminding for a couple of years now, I'm very experienced with younger children and fairly experienced with older children but I've done a lot more holiday care than after school care and I'm just wondering what is expected?

I've got a lady coming to see me tonight about caring for her 10yr old and just wondering what I should be offering. The after schooler I used to have I offered to help with homework but she prefered to do it with her mum, sometimes dd1 and mindee would do their homework together but if they didn't want to then I didn't push it but now i'm wondering if offering to help with homework is something that is expected or not?

looneytune Mon 14-Jul-08 13:50:59

Hello

In my 3 yrs of childminding I've mainly had pre-schoolers, with just a 5 year old and 8 year old after schooler when I first started (my last after schooler was after all day at pre-school so didn't have homework). I did quickly test spellings with the 8 yr old after school but that was about it.

As a parent, it would depend on what time my child was with you til. I would prefer to have unwind time after all day at school and would prefer a trip to the park, playing outside, free play and chill time at home (but i'm saying that as a mum of a 5 yr old). If he was there til quite late and was likely to be going to bed shortly after getting home then I'd probably like homework to be done at yours. I suppose if your own dd is doing homework at some point then it would be good for them to do it together if the mum wants that.

So basically......I haven't got a clue is the answer!!! grin

Shoshe Mon 14-Jul-08 13:54:18

I dont do homework with my schoolies, to be honest I just dont have the time.

By the time we get home at 3.30, schoolies get changed, have snack, clear up, change bums,write diaries, its 4.30 and they all begin to go home, all mine have gone by 5.15.

KaySamuels Mon 14-Jul-08 13:57:20

I tend to follow the child and their parent's lead, so if they want me to do their homework with them I do, I offer art and craft activities, as well as outdoor play, free play etc. Most days the ids just want to chill out after a busy day at school and just play together and chat. smile

A ten year old IME will want to chat to you mostly rather than spend all their time with the littlies, they are nice to have around I find. smile

GooseyLoosey Mon 14-Jul-08 14:01:11

Recently talked to a nanny about after school care for dd (who will be just 4) and ds (5). I expected her to pick them up from school, walk the 10 minutes back to my house, cook tea for them and maybe (time allowing) read with them (only 1 ORT book each).

This it seems is more than is acceptable so I too am at a loss as to what is appropriate. At the time she came around, my children each had a friend there and she made it clear that she could not look after 4 children (I would not have expected her to!)

Think I shall stick with after school club.

KaySamuels Mon 14-Jul-08 14:07:04

Mine that I have done homework with have always been shift workers dcs who went home at 7or 8pm, wouldn't have time during the 3-5.30 slot, too much of a rush. That time is snack, play, tea.

dmo Mon 14-Jul-08 14:18:53

i have always had lots of afterschool children
if its been raining all day i tend to let them play more (they can go outside under slelter) as i feel they have been stuck in most of the day
if its sunny they play out or in but i do do their reading with them and if they have any clubs help them get changed if they need help.
i have a box of bits which the children drag out if they want to stick

one boy said to me one day that he was board so i told him to draw every ben 10 he could think of and write what they did grin everybody still laughs at that and nobody says they are board smile

OFSTEDoutstanding Mon 14-Jul-08 14:34:16

I get home from school run at 3.40 and by the time I have done snacks and homework with the children whose parents have requested it they all start to leave the first one goes at 4.30 and then it is spread out with them leaving every 15-20 mins until 6pm. Therefore after school time is free-play/TV time/ computers. etc

catepilarr Mon 14-Jul-08 15:03:03

sorry dmo, what do your mindees do to stop being bored?

dmo Mon 14-Jul-08 18:22:43

writern work grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now