Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice on mindee who bites

(12 Posts)
twickschildminder Mon 14-Jul-08 10:49:05

Hello, i need some advice please i have mindee who keeps biting and sometimes bites so hard that it actually draws blood. My poor child still has bite marks from bites 3 weeks ago. Its gottent to the stage where my child is crying all the time and doesnt like being around the child.
What should i do? I have spoken to the parent but they dont really say anything.
How should i deal with this

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 10:51:05

how old is child?

My DS did this at Cm at about 15 months - she and I agreed how to handle it together and she had to watch him like a hawk then he did grow out of it.

TBH I'd be worried about parents that aren't wanting to fdeal with this even if its a normal stage for many chidlrne.

MsDemeanor Mon 14-Jul-08 10:58:16

I don't think the parents can do anything about it if they aren't there. I suggest watching like a hawk - there are usually triggers which you can defuse. Give the child something to chew on - eg raw carrot, a teething type toy, as sometimes a bite is in response to painful teething gums and it can also relieve frustration to have something to bite on that's not a person (!), and if a bite does occur, say 'No biting' sternly but calmly and put the child away from you for a bit - ieg other side of a gate for a few moments so they get attention withdrawn. And do this absolutely every time.

twickschildminder Mon 14-Jul-08 10:58:37

the child is 21mo. He bites for no reason and as soon as no one is looking. For eg we were in a shop now and he just took his arm and bit it so its not like they fighting over a toy or anything.

MsDemeanor Mon 14-Jul-08 11:00:57

Then separate them as much as you can - ie in a shop, keep them on different sides to you. (I assume you mean he bit your child's arm - not his own arm, which is what it sounds like)
He won't do it forever. Is he getting any teeth? Is he jealous? Have you thought of a reward chart or just a sticker for (quite short to start with) periods of no biting?

twickschildminder Mon 14-Jul-08 11:02:49

yes sorry bit my childs arm. No not getting any teeth. Think i might try the reward chart see how it goes

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 11:09:09

does he just do it to your DS or other childrne when you're out at playgroup? How old is your DC

twickschildminder Mon 14-Jul-08 11:24:10

they are the same age, yes he does bite other children

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 11:41:02

Tricky if there isn;t one thing that triggers it - mine was the good old fashioned wanting atoy and we just took stuff away form him if he bit and he relatively quickly got the message. Can you remove him to somewhere boring when he bites and make a big fuss of the child that gets bitten - you're probably already doing that.

Parnets may not see him with other children his own age much so they may not realise what a problme it is.

MsDemeanor Mon 14-Jul-08 13:17:53

I cannot recommend the ignoring trick enough though. I really does work. Just take them away, no eye contact, brief 'no biting' then ignore them for a brief period.
Also separating them when you can't watch them like a hawk and giving him something to bite, plus stickers for non-biting.

Kewcumber Mon 14-Jul-08 13:33:52

At his worst - Cm had to keep DS with her when she couldn;t keep an eye on him like preparing food blush

Luckily it was over pretty quickly.

MsDemeanor Mon 14-Jul-08 16:08:38

My son went through a biting stage too. This was the strategy I agreed with his nanny and it worked in the end. I had a nanny share and he sank his fangs into the other boy - who later turned into a hitter and a pusher proving that kids really do go through some horrible stages grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now