Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder question?

(74 Posts)
emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 11:20:04

i have found out that my childminder has been getting one of the other mums to drive my son back from the school that she takes the other children to,she says he is a slow walker and it is much quicker this way he is only 3 yrs old she walks back with my other son in the buggy she then sits and has tea with the other mum till she goes to work i dont mind the tea bit but i dont see why my son has to be rushed back just so she can have a cup of tea i am worried because he is supposed to be in her care also he is not in a booster seat in the childminders car is this right and one last moan the only place my childminder takes my children is on scholl runs ok finished now can i have your thoughts please.

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 11:31:05

the other woman will not be insured for ds

How far is the walk?

Is this 5 days a week?

SO no car seat for a 3 year old? Why not?

bonkerz Fri 04-Feb-05 11:31:29

unless this other mum has been police checked by OFSTED then your childminder is Breaking the rules of her registration. As a childminder the children are your responsibility. Any adult who spends time with your childminder and is left alone with your child HAS to have a CRB form and be cleared with OFTSED. I take the children i care for to toddler groups and Toy library and Book library and also to other childminders houses, we do have the odd day at home (like today) but i would never spend all week at home! Have you spoken to your childminder?

Blu Fri 04-Feb-05 11:32:08

no, no and no!
This is not ok.
The fact that she didn't consult you, that the other mum (who is doubtless a v good mum) is not a qualified childminder, there MUST be questions around insurance - after all you are paying for your child to be in a childminders care at that time - she is responsible and can't delegate like this. Especially to someone without proper safety in car.
What is she thinking of? I'm sure she could get struck off for this.

I think you need a clear talk about responsibility.

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 11:35:49

how did you find out?

emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 11:36:50

thanks for youe replys this is 4 days a week the school is 5 mins walk ok my son is a bit slow but he is only 3 and whats the rush its only my two there.
i have approached her her comments are if you dont like it ........ i cannot find another childminder anywhere and she knows it

secur Fri 04-Feb-05 11:37:58

Message withdrawn

bonkerz Fri 04-Feb-05 11:40:22

im sorry this childminder gives the rest of us a bad name. I have to do school run as well and its a 7 minute walk up a hill. I care for a 2 year old who walks and we leave 20 minutes early to get there on time! Have you looked for another childminder? where do you live? i would seriously look, find one and then complain to ofsted!

bonkerz Fri 04-Feb-05 11:41:04

BTW has she bothered to buy a double buggy? she can get the money back througha grant!

emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 11:42:34

she used to take them out but she has so many shcoll runs to do she says she hasnt got time between when i ask what he hows done today every time went to the school came back went to the school. can you draw me a picture today which is what i ask every day he says she hasnt got any pens or paints only a sketch pad she used to be so good now it all seems to be about the money

emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 11:44:58

we live in crawley have had listed of childminders sent though but none of them can take two children on the main prob i have is my son loves the other children to bits i feel like am i in the wrong if he is happy should i pull him out i just dont know what to do sometimes i want to take the day off and watch what she does but i need to trust her

bonkerz Fri 04-Feb-05 11:45:08

where do you live and when was the last time she had an OFTSED inspection?

bonkerz Fri 04-Feb-05 11:46:21

IM sorry but she has to provide the activities oyu mentioned! How about leaving the other 2 with her and moving the oyungest to a nursery where he can claim his vouchers so you will get a discount?

Blu Fri 04-Feb-05 11:46:25

Where in the country do you live, emy? (roughly)

bonkerz Fri 04-Feb-05 11:46:55

I care for a 1 year old and her brothers go to a childminder around the corner!

Blu Fri 04-Feb-05 11:48:22

Sorry, cross-posting re carwley.

Is crawley covered by the SimplyChildcare service? (lots of childminders advertise there but don't out themselves on council lists).

She may think she has you 'over a barrel' (If you don't like it...' but if she is a registered minder, you have her over a barrel as she is operating outside regulations.

emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 11:51:39

we live in west sussex she does have me over a barrel unless i can pull them out if i cross examine her she sulks and dosent talk to me i just hope she dosnent ignore the boys

WideWebWitch Fri 04-Feb-05 11:52:28

She's in the wrong and I think you should take him out of there. She isn't taking your concerns seriously and she's letting your 3yo in a car without a car seat ffs! I'd find another childminder AND I'd report her to OFSTED, definitely. Sorry, but 'if you don't like it tough' is NOT a good enough answer when you've raised a serious and legitimate concern.

WideWebWitch Fri 04-Feb-05 11:53:14

And she sounds childish and unprofessional. Do you really want her looking after your children?

bonkerz Fri 04-Feb-05 11:53:40

if another childmidner isnt around then its difficult BUT this lady is not a good childminder and if OFSTED went to her house im sure they would close her down! GTG cos mindees have woken!

RTKangaMummy Fri 04-Feb-05 11:59:56

I am so shocked by her behaviour

like bonkerz says she is giving the rest ofd us a bad name

I think she is trying to intimidate you and she is deffo wrong

pleaase report her to ofsted

emy1 Fri 04-Feb-05 12:00:53

they went round in december she had to get friends around to clean her house cause ot was really dirty.

yes i know i have to pull them out but what can i do i have to work for 6 months and we have been trying all year to find another one how do you think i feel knowing they are sitting there all day i feel such a terrible mum but the other mums seem so happy with her it might just be me going mad or she knows i am a push over

batters Fri 04-Feb-05 12:08:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dahlia Fri 04-Feb-05 12:09:57

You should phone your council (not sure which department) and they can send you a list of local childminders, and I agree with everyone else, you should report her immediately to Ofsted, she isn't fit to be a childminder. If they did a spot check on her when she wasn't prepared, they would take her registration away.

WideWebWitch Fri 04-Feb-05 12:12:45

children's info service w sussex (Dahlia, nice to see you btw!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: