Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny starts tomorrow - any tips?

(14 Posts)
whatironing Sun 13-Jul-08 14:13:05

Hi my nanny starts tomorrow, she is with us for two days a week.

Does anyone have any tips for settling DS with her (20 months, only been looked after by family before)? and for generally making things work out well with her

nannynick Sun 13-Jul-08 16:03:31

Let her know DS's usual routine, such as nap time. But don't expect it to be followed exactly, as your DS may not stick to routine.
Show where to find things, nappies, clothes, swimming things etc. How to use things such as oven, washing machine etc.
Give her a key, alarm code etc.Decide on money kitty amount.
Let nanny get on with it.

imananny Sun 13-Jul-08 17:08:40

ditto with nick

also TRY and not be late home - though sometimes with BR, things are beyond a humans control smile

and a number your nanny can contact you/oh is also good,esp if you are not good at answering your mobile at work

also a letter saying that incase of emergancy,she has permission to give consent to give medicine/medical treatment

the above 2 are just in case and hopefully not ever needed

and a thnak you at the end of the day goes down well grin

KatieDD Sun 13-Jul-08 17:10:02

Write down everything you do and don't expect her to do, I came home on the first day to find a spotless house and DC sat watching TV. My fault entirely but it needed to be discussed immediately.

nannynick Sun 13-Jul-08 19:01:52

Yes, certainly mention about TV usage, and how much housework you want doing, if any.
I find having the mobile number of the parents is handy, especially at first, as I can text things to them throughout the day to help keep them in touch. For example, I use text to communicate things such as how much milk a baby has taken, what a child has eaten, where we went to, that kind of thing. I try to keep it to a minimum though, but having little things come through now and then can help parents feel more confident about leaving their child/children.

whatironing Sun 13-Jul-08 19:19:31

Thanks all

I think I might be a nightmare waiting to happen for her as I will be mostly working from home. I was planning to hide away and leave her to it...

Would nannys out there recommend gradually increasing her hours? Or should I just get over myself and let them work it out alone together (DS can be very clingy although he has been better in the last couple of months)

Thanks again!

nannynick Sun 13-Jul-08 19:25:49

In at the deep end I find is best. Though you could finish a little bit early, say 30 mins or so.

nannyL Mon 14-Jul-08 00:16:32

dont forget to tell her where the fuse bx is

i agree show her around, write down the rough routine and let her get on with it! smile

If you are providing the car seat make sure it is strapped into her car properly and if you have a complex buggy show her how to fold it!

daisy26 Mon 14-Jul-08 13:34:35

If she's going to be your nanny, think it's best to leave them to it on their own and so they can get to kknow eachother, and see how your child reacts with her. Im a nanny and sometimes the mum or dad would work from home, they were a bit clingy sometimes as they know there parents were there. The parents stayed out of the way and let me get on with the job, as they knew this was best. They didn't stay away completely obviously, would come and see them when they wasn't busy, give them a cuddle and kiss, then went back to work. I would keep the kids occupied and just ressured them really.
[smile}

]

]

imananny Mon 14-Jul-08 13:58:52

if you work from home, then please dont come out if the hear your child crying - it is so hard when parents work from home, and then dare I say, interfere when the child is having a strop

I know it is hard to leave them to sort it out, but if you come out, then the child wil soon learn that mummy comes out when i cry, and you wont get any work done, plus get a very pissed off nanny smile

my guys dont generally work from home, but if they do, we have a rule that I am in charge,and what i say goes - they say hi to mb/db and then we leave them to their work, and shut the door and we get on with our usual routine

daisy26 Mon 14-Jul-08 15:05:55

I agree with imananny, makes life allot easier on us, the parents and the child

nbee84 Tue 15-Jul-08 18:42:09

How did it go?

whatironing Wed 16-Jul-08 13:26:52

I was all set to disappear but she preferred for us to spend the first day together so I tried to sink into the background as much as possible. They seemed to get on well - but the real test will be when they are alone tomorrow... I need to go out for a few hours at least so they will have a chance to get used to each other.

Thanks for all the tips, they are all make really good sense!

imananny Wed 16-Jul-08 13:30:48

glad all seemed well - long may it continue smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now