Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How/where can I find out about the numbers of children born in recent years?

(11 Posts)
KatyMac Fri 11-Jul-08 20:03:58

Because 4 nurseries have closed locally & lots of C/Mers are struggling.

So rather than automatically blaming the children's centres I thought I would do some research for children born over the last 10 years

{blush] unfortunately I don't know where to start - any one know?

weblette Fri 11-Jul-08 20:46:00

Haven't had the chance to have a look for the specific stats but the place I'd start is here

KatyMac Fri 11-Jul-08 20:58:13

Thanks - I had a bit of a fish there - but nothing (I can find) on birth rates - but it was a good place to suggest

southernbelle77 Fri 11-Jul-08 21:15:26

No idea if this is on any use, but it worth a try maybe! here

KatyMac Fri 11-Jul-08 21:29:08

That looks relevant

However I think I need an expert to look at it <<& I'm not>>

Guess it's back to the 'Blame the Children's centre for everything' view

nannynick Fri 11-Jul-08 23:21:39

KatyMac, have e-mailed you Birth stats for 2002-2006 in your area.

For this sort of data, a County Council is a good place to start. Also consider Hospitals as their websites may contain useful information - including answers to questions due to Freedom of Information requests.

Also look at Public Heath Information, you may find data there, such as Low Birth rates.

To find possible helpful things, try using Google with the following phrase:

births +year +county

replace year and county as appropriate. Make sure you include BOTH of the +'s

juneybean Sat 12-Jul-08 02:06:29

I'm sure I read somewhere that this year has seen an increase in occupancy in nurseries not a decrease/closure.

juneybean Sat 12-Jul-08 02:08:47

Ooo also I just looked at the link and it appears birth rates are going up 669,601 in 2006 compared to 594,634 in 2001.

KatyMac Sat 12-Jul-08 11:15:20

OK the birth rate i stable in my area

So it is the children's centres sad

bobbysmum07 Sat 12-Jul-08 14:37:10

It's not necessarily the children's centres. There's definitely a trend now (as opposed to ten years ago) for mothers not to work. There's also the fact that preschools claiming the nursery education grant (or whatever it's called this year) are not supposed to charge over and above the £3 per hour (or whatever it is) paid by the LEA. This makes most preschool businesses unsustainable as the fees might cover the rent, but who could they find to work for free?

If four nurseries in my area had closed, I'd bee thinking twice about opening another. What about the nurseries in the area that haven't closed? Are they full with waiting lists? Or are they half-empty? If the demand for supply isn't there, why do it?

KatyMac Sat 12-Jul-08 17:59:25

Exactly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now