Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it always a mistake to choose the first childminder you visit?

(18 Posts)

I visited a childminder this morning as I have to go back to work in September. I have phoned several but only had one appointment made with the woman I saw this morning.

I know the advice is not to go with the first one you see but I really liked this woman. She immediately knelt down to talk to him and she came across as a warm and caring person. She has been doing this for 20 years and recently conpleted an NVQ level 3. Ofsted has also rated her as outstanding. I saw her portfoliio with references (and I have telephone numbers of previous parents to contact) and her welcome pack she gives to new parents. She had 2 children there today and they seemed happy and busy.

The thing is, I have employed a childminder before 7.5 years ago so I do think I know what to look for.

My DS by the way was very happy there when we visited and smiled broadly at the minder.

Should I go see others or just go with my gut instinct and employ this person to look after DS?

sorry -knelt down to talk to him- him is 5month DS.

crochetdiva Fri 11-Jul-08 14:15:08

I've only ever interviewed one CM - and she's the one we're still with, 3 years later, and she's wonderful ... I'd sy to go with your gut on this one!

Thank you crochetdiva. I think you're right. It also helps this woman is quite local and has a reasonable daily fee.

Rachmumoftwo Fri 11-Jul-08 14:47:50

It is a bit like buying shoes. You could keep looking for ages, but you will go back to the first one. Trust your instincts.

cece Fri 11-Jul-08 14:50:08

Go with your gut feeling.

Jojay Fri 11-Jul-08 14:51:50

I went with the first one I visited too, and haven't regretted it yet.

Trust your instincts.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 11-Jul-08 14:51:54

I am midway through NVQ level 3 equivalent for CMs (uuuurghhhh)

It is fecking hard [understatement]

By undertaking training like this you can tell that she invests time and money to improve the service she offers.

Go for it

Thanks for your replies. I'll speak to DP tonight and ring her on MOnday. I have been so anxious about finding childcare as I have been unable to even think about going back to work until very recently. Hwever, this has been so easy. Hurray!!

Love2bake Fri 11-Jul-08 17:39:38

She sounds fantastic. Hope it all works out.

motherinferior Fri 11-Jul-08 17:49:10

The first childminder I ever interviewed told me 'don't go for the first person you meet, or the most convenient one, or the cheapest...go for the one who feels right'.

I used her for seven years grin

vInTaGeVioLeT Fri 11-Jul-08 18:22:24

trust your instincts.
{and if they were wrong then you can change c/m grin}

JenniPenni Thu 17-Jul-08 01:33:17

Go with your gut feeling... she sounds wonderful!

Fadge Thu 17-Jul-08 14:02:15

No reason to carry on looking if you are pefrectly happy with your first visit is there? Sounds like you have got a good un there, get in there before someone else does!

Although you should drop the employing her bit if you don't wish to offend her hmm, you do not employ a Childminder, they are self employed and offer a service which you can choose to use or not bit like a plumber if you will - bug bear!!!

JenniPenni Thu 17-Jul-08 16:57:51

hehe Fadge

MummytoWillow Fri 18-Jul-08 15:31:00

I only met one and went with my gut instinct, she is lovely and my dd loves her!

So go for it!

elkiedee Sat 19-Jul-08 23:31:34

I went to see two and chose the first, so far DS has settled in brilliantly, he is so happy there I can't believe it.

gemmiegoatlegs Sat 19-Jul-08 23:34:16

I went to see 3, the first one was my ideal. she is still lokking after my dc nearly 4 years later. You are not "settling for less", if you feel its right, go for it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now