Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Chasing lost earnings through small claims court - it is worth it?

(12 Posts)
cheekychaps Fri 11-Jul-08 09:56:56

My full time parent of 2 mindees suddenly left me this week without notice. I have sent a letter saying she should pay me 4 weeks notice, as she paid weekly in advance this weeks money will be taken into account. But I have a feeling she won't pay me the rest. Is is worth going to small claims court?

Lauriefairycake Fri 11-Jul-08 09:59:40

if you had a contract that stated that and that you had to give written notice and she gave dated notice in writing then I would

Very unlikely to actually have to go to court providing you have all the paperwork - it's all handled by post at the Northampton bulk centre

think its

cheekychaps Fri 11-Jul-08 10:00:00

Also should have told this amounts to over £600. She has really left me in the **

cheekychaps Fri 11-Jul-08 10:05:06


In the letter I have requested for her notice in writing, so if she doesn't provide it then surely that should go in my favour. The bit about paperwork is what i'm not sure about. She was always very hard to get to sign the books. Even though I explain that Ofsted would need me to have everything signed.

bubblerock Fri 11-Jul-08 10:18:20

Go for it - It's so frustrating when people don't pay for things and leave you in the shit isn't it? I'm currently claiming against a company for just under £400, they still haven't responded so it will probably go to court angry

The procedure is very easy - just follow the link Laurie gave you.

chel86 Fri 11-Jul-08 10:59:47

I've had the same problem with a parent owing me £420. I was available throughout the whole of the notice period and she pulled mindee out early and told me where to go with the rest of the notice pay!! (I gave her notice btw). Still haven't issued proceedings and have been wondering whether it's worth it. It's unlikely I'll get the money, but I may issue just for the principle of the matter.

MindingMum Fri 11-Jul-08 11:48:36

Do you all know that if you are NCMA members that they will pursue it for you?

branflake81 Fri 11-Jul-08 12:18:33

I read your post title as "chasing lost earrings". Now I get it.

cheekychaps Fri 11-Jul-08 13:05:45

Thanks for all your support. I think I will go for it if I don't receive anything by sending the letter.

branflake81 - that's cheered me up! smile

smallwhitecat Fri 11-Jul-08 13:09:14

Message withdrawn

Julesnobrain Fri 11-Jul-08 23:21:14

Hi. Please do claim via the small claims court. Thats what its designed for and once you've done it it actually very easy. Years ago I resigned from an employer giving them 4 weeks notice, they immediately asked me to leave the building but then wouldn't pay my notice. I wrote them a letter, left it 7 days and then proceeded with a small claims petition, they paid once I filed the papers. It's an open and shut case if you have a contract. Easy peasy you can even claim for the time you take to fill in the form. Brilliant.

looneytune Sat 12-Jul-08 08:53:19

Cheekychaps - what does it say on your contract? If it states 4 weeks notice then you should definitely claim! Are they NCMA contracts and are you a member? If so, they will chase it all for you from what I've been told. I've claimed through online small claims (but it was a website I'd built, not childminding customer) and got the money from that. I personally wouldn't use that in childminding situation if I was an NCMA member with their contract as I'd just prefer NCMA to do the work for me wink

Anyway, good luck. I've never had a parent not pay but if I did, I'd have no problem in claiming back!! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now