Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Power rangers

(16 Posts)
KaySamuels Wed 09-Jul-08 21:39:55

Have a new mindee, 3yr old same as ds, who apparently loves power rangers.

I have purposefully avoided these like the plague as one of my nephews and all his friends watch it and are constantly doing the fight moves.

I tend to toe the ncma party line of no toy guns, but don't discourage imaginative construction such as making one out of lego! grin

So where do I stand with Power Rangers? Will I be a big meanie childminder if I don't take his power rangers enthusiasm into account? I normally buy a few toys I know new mindees will love but am loathe to buy these. blush He loves cars too thankfully!

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 10-Jul-08 00:16:50

i wouldn't buy any trademarked/licensed type toy {dora, barbie, power rangers or disney etc} IYSWIM specifically for childminding.
however i've bought happyland and playmobile and dollshouse type toys.
does that make sense? i'm tired !

hennipenni Thu 10-Jul-08 13:17:21

I'm in the same camp as you Kay, I don't encourage the mindees to do this sort of thing whilst in my care so I purposefully don't buy toys of the like. Parents realise that I'm against such things and that I try to promote the better "imaged" type of things and are very happy with this.

Shoshe Thu 10-Jul-08 13:21:30

Totally banned in my house, they just cause fighting IMO, they have plenty of other toys to play with and if he had them at home its nice to have something different to stretch his imagination with at CMs.

KaySamuels Thu 10-Jul-08 13:42:34

Glad it's not just me then! Was worried this might kick off you never know! wink

I try to actively avoid violent based toys/play. (and battery powered toys too!)

I have wooden train tracks, blocks, garage, lots of happyland and duplo, a wooden farm, art/craft stuff, music box, balls, skittles, baby toys, doll and pushchair, dressing up, basicallyy stuff that is good for imagination and creative play. smile

What if this comes up with mum? How do I put it without offending her? Thankfully little boy doesn't seem to have been too brainwashed with them! grin

KaySamuels Thu 10-Jul-08 13:44:36

I am also trying to avoid barbie, slutz bratz, disney princess, hmm what else! grin

I am very opionated at times so please don't take me too seriously if anyone is becoming offended. blush

Shoshe Thu 10-Jul-08 13:52:12

Thamas teh blardy train as well Hate Hate Hate all those 'themed' toys argggggggggggggggg, what is wrong with good ald fashioned, proper toys!!!

God I'm showing my age grin

KaySamuels Thu 10-Jul-08 13:54:34

I am a youngster shoshe and hate them too, just traditional values, nowt to do with age. wink

DS keeps bringing home Thomas books from nursery every week. They are the most boring books ever written and the characters are all very pompous and grumpy and quite mean at times! shock

KaySamuels Thu 10-Jul-08 13:55:35

I have bought ds a tin robot for xmas in a cardboard box with no batteries or tie wraps involved it is fantastic! grin

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 10-Jul-08 16:56:33

i couldn't agree more about BORING boring boring thomas the tank books - i blardy hate them.

southernbelle77 Thu 10-Jul-08 17:50:19

Oh goodness! My house is like a shrine to disney princess blush DD absolutley loves it!!

However, do have a lovely wooden kitchen with annoying battery operated parts! Does that make it better?!!

I would not have power rangers or other violent type toys either. I think it's appalling that you can buy toy guns in shops etc, what sort of message does that portray.

Shoshe Thu 10-Jul-08 18:11:18

Think I've told this before, but at one inspection, I was asked why I didn't have guns.

i stated I didn't think it was something that any child needed to have.

inspector then said 'but you live on a Army Camp, the children's parents are soldiers, don't you think you should reflect that.'!!!!

I asked her did she think that the parents brought their guns home and hung them on the coat rack!

Stupid woman!

southernbelle77 Thu 10-Jul-08 18:44:09

Oh my goodness, what a silly thing to say. And that coming from an inspector!

southernbelle77 Thu 10-Jul-08 18:44:15

Oh my goodness, what a silly thing to say. And that coming from an inspector!

KaySamuels Thu 10-Jul-08 20:00:11

That is crazy shoshe hmm

I would LURVE a nice wooden toy kitchen SB smile

Scarfmaker Thu 10-Jul-08 20:32:11

I'm a childminder and also worked in a school where a boy of 5 kept bringing in his power rangers and I used to think the same (oh no - it's not correct blah blah) but thinking back my son had lots of power rangers, action men, etc. - amongst other toys e.g. postman pat, thomas the tank - and he's now a well adjusted 15 year old!

He used to playfight with them, karate kicks etc. and had a great time using his imagination.

Loves school, never doesn't want to go, never hangs about with the wrong crowd, cheeky with me sometimes but I can handle that! His teachers say university material.

So coming back to the right toys - I, as a professional childminder for the past 7 years, would not have them (power rangers) in the house but if a child i looked after loved them I would accommodate this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now