Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What's a reasonable rate for an afterschool nanny with own child (in London)?

(13 Posts)
legalalien Tue 08-Jul-08 15:47:27

I'm meeting up with a hopeful prospect this evening (so everyone keep their fingers crossed). She would be doing school pick up and some afterschool care, no more than 3 hrs per day, term time only; will be bringing her own baby, and has some past nanny experience.

Also, in terms of tax calculations, and assuming she doesn't have another job / work during the school holidays, am I right in thinking that the "minimum to pay tax" threshold would be worked out across the whole year, rather than on the basis of the weekly amount?
(i.e. if its an annual calculation, then given an annual lower earnings limit of 4680, this means I could pay £146.25 pw for 32 weeks of the year and be under the threshold, notwithstanding that the weekly threshold is £90 pw. Does that make sense?)

legalalien Tue 08-Jul-08 16:06:13

bump

anyone?

Page62 Tue 08-Jul-08 16:09:33

you lucky devil -- if she's right. i would have thought very hard to find someone with that sort of flexibility

Don't they normally quote £9-10 per hour in London? that sounds about right....though don't know if you have to adjust as she's bringing her own baby...but in reality knowing your DS -- he is quite self sufficient anyway you just really want to make sure there is an adult there.....(and that she knows where the DVD is of the battle of medway)
grin

lindseyfox Tue 08-Jul-08 17:01:36

with own child and only after school care would have thought between £6-£8 net an hr. (without own child £8-£10 an hr net)

good luck.

legalalien Tue 08-Jul-08 17:33:17

page62, the obsession has still not worn off, so don't joke. we have moved on to phantoms and mirages now, with the occasional A10 warthog thrown in for good measure.

Nicky79 Tue 08-Jul-08 22:21:01

Hi,
Nannies don't become less qualified or experienced because they have had their own baby!!
If anything it's and advantage, they have the love for a child that no other woman without children could feel. Also great company for your child.

MrsWobble Tue 08-Jul-08 22:24:05

we paid £7.50 an hour net for a nanny with own child for afternoons (a bit longer than after school because she also did the ironing). this is is SE London

legalalien Wed 09-Jul-08 10:46:38

ok everyone KEEP your fingers crossed because she really was lovely and I have offered her a job. At a rate without adjustment for own baby (Nicky, I take your point, although I also know it is quite common to adjust to reflect the benefit that the nanny is getting from not having to arrange alternative childcare).

(I can't stand the suspense....)

AtheneNoctua Wed 09-Jul-08 10:55:38

Good luck, LA.

Nicky, she does not become less experienced, but she does become less available to employers children because she has brought one of her own with whom employers children will be sharing her attention. It is a share, and so to expect the cost to be shared is perfectly logical.

Of course, LA, given the very short hours of your job if you pay a very low hourly rate it might not be worth taking the job to her.

If it was me hiring a nanny share and it was fullt ime, I'd expect a reduction in cost. But, for such short hours not reducing the cost isn't really going to break the bank too much and she might be happier to stay with you for longer.

nannynick Wed 09-Jul-08 18:25:02

With regard to tax, I expect you need to operate Simplified PAYE as the NICs threshold is lower that Income Tax threshold.
Will look it up and tell you if I find anything helpful.
Does nanny have any other income?

nannynick Wed 09-Jul-08 18:47:23

Have you agreed an annual salary, and agreed to pay monthly? I.E. payment is calculated for the year and split into 12 parts.

lindseyfox Wed 09-Jul-08 18:54:15

yes its not because less qualified but she should expect a reduced salary if taking own child to work as not 100% of her time and attention will be on the child/ren she will be in charge of.

Nannies are in a luxiourious position to have the option of taking child to work as otherwise would have to pay for childcare themselves from upwards of £3 an hr.

legalalien Thu 10-Jul-08 09:27:47

nannynick - that's what I was planning on doing. And no, she doesn't have or intend to have other employment. thanks for replying! I assume I can find info on the HMRC site? will have a squizz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now