Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

leaving present for my nanny

(41 Posts)
beforesunrise Tue 08-Jul-08 12:10:17

hi all- my nanny is leaving at the end of the month after two years with us. she's been v good and reliable and my daughter has grown v attached to her. i would like to give her a leaving gift, any ideas? she is really not into clothes or accessories and i don't want to buy something hugely expensive, just a token that will make her remember us and our dd. any ideas? thanks!

ShinyPinkShoes Tue 08-Jul-08 12:13:10

Jewellery?

leo69 Tue 08-Jul-08 12:22:16

Hi, I used to be a nanny, and I've still got one of my leaving presents,an ornament of a toy box with toys inside.You could get her an ornament which will remind her of your daughter.Those ones that have no face,can't remember who they are by, but they're beautiful.

AtheneNoctua Tue 08-Jul-08 12:35:18

A locket with a pic of your DD.

Page62 Tue 08-Jul-08 15:46:28

i am the queen of shopping.

tell me your price range

don't be shy!

legalalien Tue 08-Jul-08 15:50:07

I'd be in favour of a really nicely bound, classic children's book, with a nice handwritten inscription. But then I buy everyone in my family books for gifts.

<waves to Page62 and AN - long time, no see!>

DarrellRivers Tue 08-Jul-08 15:58:13

am lurking as am in similar position

AtheneNoctua Tue 08-Jul-08 15:58:29

hello LA and 62. I think we are overdue for a meetup (hint hint).

DarrellRivers Tue 08-Jul-08 15:58:33

actually might try to find a nice purse

legalalien Tue 08-Jul-08 15:59:30

or maybe a classic teddy bear of some sort?

<off on holiday to cornwall next week but have no social activities planned for August so open to suggestions re meet up>

DarrellRivers Tue 08-Jul-08 15:59:41

at one point i was considering a heart pendant,(tiffany has some lovely ones around £100 mark) but this morning I notice rather annoyingly she has one already

DarrellRivers Tue 08-Jul-08 16:00:45

sorry just read whole of op, ie not wanting anything hugely expensive, so scrap the tiffany thing

Page62 Tue 08-Jul-08 16:03:49

<tap tap tap> Page62 is waiting for the budget......

<waves at AN and LA> let's try to get something going on meet up thread.....early August good for me but away middle two (end of hi jack)

www.silver.uk.com

has some nice ones, slightly cheaper than tiffany silver though the blue box does some wonders if she's into that sort of thing

AtheneNoctua Tue 08-Jul-08 16:31:14

Right, Page62 and Legal Alien (and anyone else who is interested) come to my August booze up thread.

Aero Tue 08-Jul-08 16:35:25

Nice big bouquet of flowers to say thank-you and perhaps a smart photo frame with a good pic of your dd in it. This is what I received when I left my old job, and also a rather cute soft toy which my own children now love. I still keep the photo out and the children I looked after are now 18 and 21.

If that doesn't float her boat, then maybe a nice silver keyring would be nice. You could have it engraved with a short message. It would be a useful keepsake.

sophy Tue 08-Jul-08 16:43:44

When my nanny left I gave her this Tiffany key ring, engraved with love from dc:

key ring

plus a small photo album with pictures of dc and her stuck in.

AtheneNoctua Tue 08-Jul-08 16:48:09

Does everyone give Tiffany presents to their nannies when they leave?? hmm

lindseyfox Tue 08-Jul-08 16:55:47

why not a lovely photo frame one of those big ones and get pics of your daughter and make a collage in the fram of all the photos.

sophy Tue 08-Jul-08 17:11:18

Love that turquoise box.

I was given a Tiffany bracelet as a leaving present when I was an au pair in New York 25 years ago, and still wear it.

beforesunrise Tue 08-Jul-08 18:25:47

ok- it aint gonna be tiffany's, not only it's way above my budget but i really doubt she would appreciate it! i think i will go for picture frame with a pic of my dd (i suppose she can always take dd's picture out...). plus a really cool swiss sports water bottle to replace the rather grotty bottle of evian she keeps refilling.

thanks everyone!

nannynick Tue 08-Jul-08 18:43:28

I don't get Tiffany presents. I get things like, champange, chocolates, photos of the children.

imananny Tue 08-Jul-08 19:29:23

i have got in past photoframe from every job of charges and I

normally get jewelley (though not tiffanys) grin earings/bracelet etc

clocks, more photoframes,perfume,kettle ( had just moved in to our house) and normally get a months salery as a thank you bonus

bonnibaby Tue 08-Jul-08 22:37:33

I once got a silver bangle engraved with "thankyou,love from X"
Thought it was a lovely keepsake,

jura Wed 09-Jul-08 00:05:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

imananny Wed 09-Jul-08 07:46:39

jura - yes really blush

Im a good nanny, and stay in my jobs for years - and normally leave them as children ago to school, or famillies move miles away, so i get made redundant, so yes I normally get a 4/5 weeks redundacy money AND a months bonus as well

The bonus is always a suprise but i EXPECT and DESERVE the redundacy pay off - just as if any of you lose your jobs after 5 years, you would get money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now