Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Urgent advice needed: Do you give notice for constant child bad behaviour?

(14 Posts)
nonna Tue 08-Jul-08 10:27:15

Hi All
I mind an 11 year old boy with a really bad behaviour. I tried to correct his behaviour and discussed it with his parents. I tried to approach him and discuss with him any issues but he shouts at me, keeps bulling other children and urges them to break my house rules. He smacks other kids, lies, bully other children, speak to me with disrespect and even take and hide other children's stuff. What's more is that other "good" children began to mimic his bad behaviour. I have tried everything and don't know what to do me. He is keeping me stressed and parents are not helpful enough. They pamper him and are not strict enough with his behaviour. I have had enough and I cannot take it anymore. I have put up with him for more than six month now, do I have to give four weeks? notice or can I end the contract immediately?

annh Tue 08-Jul-08 11:30:30

If he has actually smacked other children, surely you can get rid of him immediately?

bethoo Tue 08-Jul-08 11:32:54

can you do anything about cm kids as my cm kid is rude to me and i have seen him smack my ds.

bethoo Tue 08-Jul-08 11:36:35

i think you would have to give 4 weeks notice and explain why. it may make the parents realise that there is a problem that needs sorting out now. you can only do so much as a cm, it is up to the parents to teach their child manners etc.

Tas1 Tue 08-Jul-08 11:43:06

I would give notice.

tigersmum Tue 08-Jul-08 13:57:32

I gave notice to a mindee on the Monday asking him to leave by the Friday, due to bizzare behaviour problems. Parents just shrugged and moved on, although they do keep asking me to have him back. If the care of this child is affecting the others then give a weeks notice.

Love2bake Tue 08-Jul-08 14:15:06

Cant you try and discuss this behaviour with the parents first. There must be a reason for this behaviour and as CM's that is what we are supposed to help with. Not just give notice to those that are a problem.

Saying you have put up with him for 6 months is really not nice.

dmo Tue 08-Jul-08 14:22:41

if he is a danger to the other children and putting them at risk then you can finish immediately.

bethoo if cm children are a bother to you or your child you can give notice and find a new cm

Kewcumber Tue 08-Jul-08 14:24:12

what have parents siad? Presumably you've discussed this with them before?

Shoshe Tue 08-Jul-08 14:24:55

Love2bake

nonna has said she has discussed it with the parents.

At that age, if even after talking to Parents and cild, it is no better I would give notice, a 11 year old is old enough to take in what nonna is saying.

I would give 4 weeks notice and hope they move him earlier.

D you have him in the holidays?

Love2bake Tue 08-Jul-08 14:32:06

Yes sorry you did say you had discussed it already.

I would speak to them again and say that this behaviour is either sorted out or you will have no choice but to give notice. It might make the parents take this seriously.

The child will just end up floating from one CM to another.

nonna Tue 08-Jul-08 16:57:07

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all your feedback. That really helped me. As this was not the first time I told parents they have two options: it's either their child behaves well or I will not allow him in my setting. They replayed next day asking to give him another "last" chance ant try for another week. They wanted to continue until the end of the school year. I told them I will give him that last chance and see how their child will do and then I will decide accordingly.

Thanks again for your advice

Kewcumber Wed 09-Jul-08 09:20:05

I think if you have previously given them two stikes and he doesn;t behave this time them giving them a weeks notice is fair enough. It isn;t long to the school year end though is it?

TJ1976 Wed 16-Jul-08 13:12:11

I had the same situation with a boy who was always behaving badly and wouldn't listen or cooperate with me with simple tasks. The parent was aware her son was causing issues within my setting and I pre-warned her that it can't continue. I have a 2 yr old son and a 1yr old minded child to care for and it was too dangerous having him around the younger ones. I had to give immediate notice eventually as my son was so disturbed by the boys behaviour. The younger children had to come first with this problem. I'm alot wiser since this experience and a lot more choosy as to what child I will take on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now