Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Maternity Nanny Rates

(13 Posts)
SimpleAsABC Sun 06-Jul-08 19:37:07

Haven spoken to various sources about what I should set my rates at (other maternity nannies, agencies etc) I have come to deciding that £100 per 24 (in London) seems reasonable. This is a bit lower than the agency said and I'd be willing to adjust it up, or indeed down, dependant on location.

Just wondered what everyone thought?

This would be my first maternity placement and I am VERY keen to gain experience and so definately do not want to outprice myself.

Thanks!

MatNanPlus Sun 06-Jul-08 19:52:32

On the low side, what is the daily and live in nanny rate? you could aim for a little above that and increase it as you gain experience.

SimpleAsABC Sun 06-Jul-08 20:59:22

Thanks for replying! Daily nanny rate, which I am on, is 8 ph. So for 24 hours that'd be £192. Even that seems a huge amount, don't you think?

Do you mind if I ask what you charge?

nannynick Sun 06-Jul-08 21:27:34

Are you actually working all of the 24 hours?
Would you be paid during your sleep?
I'm not sure how this works - can you tell? - thus why I have questions.
Perhaps compare with what others would charge. For example if providing night-time on-call work, perhaps compare with NightNannies.

SimpleAsABC Sun 06-Jul-08 21:35:25

Hi Nick,

I'd potentially be working 24 hours and therefore maternity nannies are paid for the 24.

I've tried to compare but it's quite difficult! I'm really not too sure.

nannynick Sun 06-Jul-08 21:50:28

Looked at a agency I know, they have a maternity job paying £650 a week for 24/6. Thus perhaps your £100 per day is about right.
It's very hard to know really... have any parents expressed any interest? Have they given any indication as to how much they would be willing to pay?

SimpleAsABC Sun 06-Jul-08 22:08:44

Have had a few express interest, have only just replied to most, so time will tell I suppose!

MatNanPlus Sun 06-Jul-08 22:18:48

I charge £160-£200 per 24h.

But agree your £100 as a starting fee is reasonable, and tho you will hopefully wink get some good sleep time you usually have baby with you so it can be broken and short lived sleep.

Page62 Sun 06-Jul-08 22:23:20

we paid £700 per week before -- that was 4 1/2 years ago -- so it does sound a bit on the low side (the £700 /wk was for 6 days). although it is technically for 24 hours cover, in reality, we never left the house anyway. and even when DD woke in the night, maternity nanny helped but i was breastfeeding so it was really morale support (i.e. someone is up with me!), perhaps changing DVD (we stayed up watching Friends) and refilling water!
so i would say a bit on the low side, but you seem to be wanting to gain experience so i suppose you are in the ballpark!

phraedd Mon 07-Jul-08 13:42:40

if you look at some agency websites, experienced maternity nurses are gettini £150 - £200 per 24 hours (in London)

£100 is pretty low but I don't know how much baby experience you have

twinkle3869 Mon 07-Jul-08 14:33:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MGMidget Tue 08-Jul-08 16:45:42

I paid £130 per day (24 hour period) 9 months ago in London area - i.e. £650 for a five day week and £780 for a 6 day week as we varied the number of days on some weeks. My maternity nurse was very experienced (mine was her 34th baby). If you are just starting out you would need to price yourself competitively in comparison with such experienced maternity nurses.

MatNanPlus Sat 12-Jul-08 22:02:41

That is low MGMidget as (m ago i was in London getting £175 per 24 hrs working 12 days on, 2 off.

When i started MN i was on £130 and that was 5 years ago after 14yrs of nannying with infants/toddlers.

I am with my 52nd Baby currently and will be doing 12m with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now