Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

18 mo ds calling the nanny 'mummy'

(25 Posts)
Egede Fri 04-Jul-08 12:43:18

Please just reassure me that this doesn't mean he loves her more than me! I work 4 days a week, am always home about 4.30 and still breastfeed, so it's not as if I'm never there. But yesterday he was handing her things (half-eaten toast and wet leaves, mostly) saying 'give it back to mummy' and then came up to me with a book and said '[nanny] read it.' I don't need to resign immediately and devote myself to full time childcare (aka full time simmering resentment), do I?

MrsRecycle Fri 04-Jul-08 12:46:07

well my ds(22m) was in the playground this morning with me and his CM standing close by. He marched straight up to CM and said "Mum" to her with me standing next to him. So it is normal - it won't be long until he goes up to any man in the street and calls him "Dad" then the embarrasment starts. Hope you're reassured.

mum2akebk Fri 04-Jul-08 13:40:26

I'm a childminder - please don't feel upset about this. It is just a word to your little one at the moment - lots of the children I have cared for have called me 'mummy' at various times - they just forget what to call me - so I give a gentle reminder of my name. Once he gets a little bit older he will know that 'mummy' is his special name just for you!

weejie Fri 04-Jul-08 13:45:46

could be worse...my DS insisted on calling me Dave for two weeks. Dad and Dave...

Bensonbluebird Fri 04-Jul-08 14:03:01

I think he is just using 'Mummy' to mean nice person who looks after me. My DS1 called the childminder 'Mummy' for a while, but then he was calling everyone 'Mummy' and I think he just ment 'Hey you'. If it is bothering you though you could ask the nanny to just remind him that she isn't Mummy, she's 'Nanny' ( maybe she is doing this any way, though it would be difficult to do every single time)

nkf Fri 04-Jul-08 14:07:11

Little ones also call their teachers "Mummy" from time to time.
He adores you. You're his mummy and nobody will ever take your place. He just got your name wrong. The way we all do sometimes.

2point4kids Fri 04-Jul-08 14:10:22

I am a full time sahm and my ds1 still calls other people mummy and me other names sometimes.
I think he likes teasing me!

slipperthief Fri 04-Jul-08 14:26:16

I've almost got used to being called Sarah for the last month, also wondered if ds was at the cm a bit too much. Even got called Alan too for a while (her also cm dh).

Egede Fri 04-Jul-08 14:27:07

Thank you all, I am reassured! It's true that ds1 (now 6) had a phase of calling the attendant adult 'mummydaddy' which meant 'oy, you, whatever you call yourself, service!' And I remember all too well the days when estate agents/potential purchasers of the flat were greeted with 'daaaddy!' (Quick ways to devalue your house).

littlestarschildminding Fri 04-Jul-08 16:21:04

My ds (4) calls my sister mummy..my best friend mummy and me (little stars) as I am a cm all my mindees call me (little stars).

Seriously don't worry about it grin

frogs Fri 04-Jul-08 16:22:05

DD2 is 4 and calls me by her teacher's name sometimes. I don't take it personally. grin

mananny Fri 04-Jul-08 17:12:32

I get called DB's name when MB is home, by MB.!!!!!!!! LOL. I don't take it personally. The twins sometimes call me mommy, but usually they call everyone "excuse me", as we've been working on not interrupting lately. They are too cute.

SimpleAsABC Fri 04-Jul-08 18:17:58

My charges call me mummy sometimes and I KNOW that it's not because they love me more than their own mum!

nannyL Fri 04-Jul-08 18:18:07

i get called mummy / daddy all the time too by my charges

they also call mummy : daddy / 'my name'
and call Daddy: mummy / my name

think nothon of it

i also call my charges each others names all the time and sometimes the names of my old charges too.... we all do it

Laugs Fri 04-Jul-08 18:27:08

my mum is a secondary school teacher, and has been called 'mum' by pupils on several occasions - much to their embarrassment.

in contrast, my dd (20 months) can name almost everything important in her life, yet still won't say 'mummy'. What a tease!

Riddo Fri 04-Jul-08 18:32:15

I was a full time nanny to a baby from 2 weeks old. She called me Mummy as well as her Mum but said it differently. I did sometimes respond because I knew when she meant me. She always knew who her real mummy was though.

allgonebellyup Fri 04-Jul-08 18:33:41

i am laughing my pants off at a kid calling his mum "dave" grin grin

ThePrisoner Fri 04-Jul-08 19:18:47

One of my mindees actually called me "grandad" this week!! shock

Fadge Thu 17-Jul-08 14:23:53

I get called anything and everything lol!

Mummy, Daddy, Granny and even the family dogs name!

They just get a little confused sometimes it doesn't mean they love me more than their parents or granny - or dog!! hmm

When I worked in schools pupils often called us Mum or Dad.

motherinferior Thu 17-Jul-08 14:27:32

DD1 once looked at the telly and said Daddy.

To....

Saddam Hussein.

Fadge Thu 17-Jul-08 14:34:49

shock

HarrietTheSpy Thu 17-Jul-08 15:16:05

My niece looked at Gaddafi on the tele and said: Grandma.

I love the Dave comment too. hilarious.

DD calls me daddy regularly.

PinkChick Thu 17-Jul-08 15:23:38

both my young mindees (1 and 2) call me mummy..i say nicely, not mummy darling xxx(insert my name)..theys till do it, but i alsways do this, theyre just abbies, theyll get it.

My dd sometimes calls me Mrs smith..her school teachersmile

AtheneNoctua Thu 17-Jul-08 16:05:16

I wonder if I could train my kids to call someone else mummy when they are screaming for new toys in Tesco?

jura Thu 17-Jul-08 16:45:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now