Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted coming on Monday - last minute advice needed, please!

(27 Posts)
philmassive Wed 02-Jul-08 10:39:43

Good morning! I've got ofsted coming on Monday for my first inspection - I've been a CM for one year, so not my pre-inspection, the real thing!!! Any thoughts from anyone of bits and bobs that I should have done but haven't thought about? All comments welcome please - I will have one 2 year old and my 18 month old with me when she comes, if that is of any use!

I have got policies done, my certs and first aid all up to date, plus first aid kit, fire blanket and all the tings you have to have (I think!), anything vital that I've missed?

alibubbles Wed 02-Jul-08 11:32:35

Make sure you have a fire evacuation procedure, and that you have practised it!

Complaints policy and the poster from Ofsted, Child Protection - Local Safe guarding Board details and info.

Sign her in and out, check her ID.

Good luck

love2sleep Wed 02-Jul-08 11:46:20

Tell your mindees parents!

I would definitely want to know so that I could buy her a huge bunch of flowers and tell her that we all know that she is fab and don't care what ofsted think!

grin

Can you ask around local cms to find out if there is anything they are picking on right now? Maybe start a new thread with your area in the title?

chloemegjess Wed 02-Jul-08 11:56:59

You sound like you have it all pretty much sorted. Maybe try and get some evidence of the activities you do if any? Maybe some photos, or art work? Don't worry if you havent got any though

dmo Wed 02-Jul-08 21:14:13

my friend had her first inspection yesterday and got a good smile just make sure everything is signed and in order
good luck

philmassive Thu 03-Jul-08 14:26:53

Thanks, all. Just one more question. Someone told me that you can only ever get a satisfactory if you're looking after only one child when she's observing you. Is that true? I will have 2 with me when she comes but one is my own so he probably won't count as far as what she's interested in? What do you think?

Good on your friend dmo, she must be so proud of herself.

philmassive Fri 04-Jul-08 11:04:50

Anybody?

LoveMyGirls Fri 04-Jul-08 11:17:10

I had dd2 and 1 mindee and still got a good hth

other obvious things are...

certificates and fire blanket on the wall

gloves when doing nappy changes

prepare food in advance

plan activities (things like icing bicuits/ playdough/ drawing with mega sketcher just playing with toys on the floor)

show inspector they have their own belongings to make them feel a home (comfort blanket, cot/ bedding, cup, bag to keep their things in, hand towel etc)

hth

Good luck!

philmassive Fri 04-Jul-08 13:17:25

Wow, thanks, that is a relief, I'd hate to think that I'd shot myself in the foot by only having one mindee. Thanks for the tips. Wish me luck!

eleanorsmum Fri 04-Jul-08 13:56:07

hellooooooooooooooooooooo

I've just had aphone call to say mine is 15th july! shock knew it was coming but still a bit shock omg omg omg must calm down must calm down!

maybe we can share tips from otherS! Please let me know how yours goes!

ShinyPinkShoes Fri 04-Jul-08 13:58:25

I've got a Childminders checklist if anybody wants a copy?

eleanorsmum Fri 04-Jul-08 13:59:09

ooooohhhhh me please!

keri dot bradley at tiscali dot co dot uk

tia

OFSTEDoutstanding Fri 04-Jul-08 14:03:56

That is complete rubbish that you can only get a satisfactory if you only have one mindee plus your own. I had ds who was 20months and mindee who was 10months and got an Outstanding even though the mindee slept for half her visit.
Might be worth showing her that you have some bits together in preparation for EYFS in September

dustystar Fri 04-Jul-08 14:10:22

I got a good and I only look after one baby for a few hours a week. Plus he was only 6 months old when I was inspected and spent most of the time the inspector was with me fast asleepgrin. So definitely rubbish that you can only get a satisfactory.

No advice to add to what has been given and agree that you sound like you're pretty up together already. They do love paperwork ime and it seems like you can't have to much of it. Good lucksmile

mumlove Fri 04-Jul-08 14:15:51

PSP - Can I have a copy please,
rachaels DOT rugrats AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk
Thankyou.

ShinyPinkShoes Fri 04-Jul-08 22:01:58

sent

philmassive Mon 07-Jul-08 20:36:19

Just wanted to say a big thank you, and to let you know that I got a good!!! I'm really so pleased, and the inspector was really useful in terms of information and advice as well.

southernbelle77 Mon 07-Jul-08 20:48:12

Well done

mumlove Mon 07-Jul-08 21:53:16

Excellent news smile

JenniPenni Thu 17-Jul-08 01:45:42

I have my inspection on the 22nd July - eek! Also my first one!!!

I have all you mention... but have a couple of questions...

(1) Do I initiate the fire evacuation or does she?

(2) Do I chat about everything as I show her round my home... mentioning things I have done for health and safety reasons... or wait for her prompting?

(3) I will ask for her ID. Is it necessary to also sign her in and out?

(4) Does the fire blanket have to be mounted on the wall? Mine is on a counter in the kitchen.

JenniPenni Thu 17-Jul-08 01:46:26

ps: Well done philmassive!!!! grin

eleanorsmum Thu 17-Jul-08 08:55:29

jenni - had my insepction on tues, got outstanding! wasn't quite what i expected, was fine!
1 - she won't expect you to do evac with her their just show records that you have prsctised them and with which children etc, and a fire evac route and policy
2 - she'll ask lots of leading questions, you don't get time to talk about everything!
3 - def ask for id, mine showed it before i had chance to say hello! and def sign her in and out, i had bit of paper tpaed to wall saying visitor record, only visitr we've ever had as usually parents.
4 - fire blanket MUST be fixed to the wall ( think you can fail if not!) they are designed to be pulled off the wall to open th packet and then you can use it. you'd struggle to open it without it being fastened to anything.
hope that answers you're questions and good luck!

JenniPenni Thu 17-Jul-08 16:42:14

eleanorsmum, thanks so much for that!!! Glad I asked about that! Just called hubby and he will pop it on the wall tonight. Phew!

CONGRATS on your outstanding too!!!

Did you have any EYFS stuff (observations etc.) done to show her?

lavenderrose Thu 17-Jul-08 17:38:09

Hi Shinypinkshoes, could you send me a copy of the childminders check list please
thanks

lavenderrose Thu 17-Jul-08 17:39:53

sorry forgot email addy sandraasten@yahoo dot co dot uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now