Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Calling all parents - would you use a cm who doesn't have a car?

(30 Posts)
eleanorsmum Mon 30-Jun-08 18:20:35

Am seriuosly thinking about selling my car what with diesel so expensive now and it just costs a bomb to run the blessed thing! We'd then be a one car family but i can walk dd to school when she starts in sept and there is a bus route right at the end of my road so can get to town etc. as far as cming goes i can wlak to toddlers twice a week, walk to sports centre for swimming and soft play.

so would you think it a problem if i didn't have car?

snapD Mon 30-Jun-08 18:22:20

Only if you think children melt when it rains (& some parents do wink)

QueenyEisGotTheBall Mon 30-Jun-08 18:24:43

not at all as long as not having one wont affect your work etc then it wont be a problem. smile and also its healthier to walk places so everyone winsgrin
xx ei xx

LittleMyDancing Mon 30-Jun-08 18:25:29

No problem as long as you can get to things like the park etc walking. In fact I might prefer it, it always used to make me nervous DS being in a car with someone other than me driving [neurotic emoticon]

LittleMyDancing Mon 30-Jun-08 18:25:53

Besides I like DS to walk to places, stop him turning into a couch potato.

spicemonster Mon 30-Jun-08 18:27:11

I would be freaked out if my CM had a car! I live in London though. I think as long as there's lots of things you can do locally and it doesn't mean you'd be stuck in the whole time, that's fine

nannynick Mon 30-Jun-08 18:36:58

Only negatives I can see is that it will limit you to picking up children from only the local school. However that may not be a bad thing - school runs, when there are more than 1 school involved --can be-- are a nightmare.

Have a spare supply of:
Waterproofs
Wellington Boots
Winter Coats

As parents do sometimes forget such items and you don't want the child whose parent forgot the coat, to freeze in winter.

eleanorsmum Mon 30-Jun-08 18:45:40

nn - i'd only want my local school anyway as dd will be there and can't be in two places at once! good idea about wellies etc, was just to sell some dd has out grown but will keep for back up now! ta!

Shoshe Mon 30-Jun-08 18:47:12

EM, I only learnt to drive 3 years ago, and Ive been doing this job, for a long long time, and I've never had aspace grin and I live on a Army Camp on the top of a long hill into town, it never stopped people coming to me.

Shoshe Mon 30-Jun-08 18:48:09

nick is right make sure you have everything you will need for hot and cold weather, I have a HUGE box of things grin

Romy7 Mon 30-Jun-08 18:49:48

um, for me it would be an issue - dd2 has sn and in the back of my mind i always want someone who can drive her to a hospital if nec... we even lend our car to the gps when they have the kids...
i know you can call an ambulance, but it's just a personal thing.

cece Mon 30-Jun-08 18:50:18

I used a CM for 5 years who didn't have a car. Not a problem at all. They all walked or caught the bus/train wherever they went.

PeppaAndGeorgesMummy Mon 30-Jun-08 19:27:14

I nanny 3 children and don't drive - they love using the bus to get into town as their parents drive them

BettySpaghetti Mon 30-Jun-08 19:34:26

We used a childminder for DD that didn't have a car. It was never an issue -they still went out and about to toddler groups etc by walking. There was also a good bus service in that area should they need to go further.

If the childminder is the right one for the child and parents then whether they have a car or not shouldn't come into it

shreddies Mon 30-Jun-08 19:35:28

Our CM doesn't have a car. No problem at all.

llareggub Mon 30-Jun-08 19:37:41

Actually, I'd be surprised if my childminder took my son in her car at all. We certainly haven't discussed it and it wasn't something I saw as being essential when we first discussed her caring for my son.

I'd be more interested in the quality of your care than a heap of metal in the driveway.

mawbroon Mon 30-Jun-08 19:55:52

eleanorsmum - I have just sold my car for the very same reason as you talk about, and so far, it hasn't been an issue with the childminding. I have been able to manage 2 x 2 yos and a 4yo all together on the bus, so don't see it being a problem with any combination of children (I do ad hoc stuff, so have lots of children coming and going)

Like somebody said, just make sure you have enough spare waterproofs etc as parents often send their kids inadequately dressed.

dmo Mon 30-Jun-08 20:07:13

we are a one car family

i'm a cm and walk everywhere but am very lucky as the furthes toddler group is 7min walk (with 2yr old walking) if i want to go to the farm/ soft play area i borrow the car from dh. town is 10 min bus ride but we have plenty to do without going into town
smile

Mum2Luke Mon 30-Jun-08 23:30:48

Its easy to say walk when you live in a village/London/place where there are lots of buses but I don't. I pick up from 2 different schools which are nowhere near each other, nearly everyday while the weather is good I take the children to the park (again not on bus route) and then back home for parents to pick up and on Thursdays my son has a swim lesson at the 'local' baths 6 miles away.

I would dearly love not to have to use the car and have cut certain journeys down but its just not practical to use the buses, they are not reliable and are expensive when you have 4 children 5 yrs and over as I have and myself to pay for. I did try it for a month, most of my wages were gone on fares and it was very stressful getting from one school to the next on time.

Until this area gets decent, safe and reliable transport I am driving.

unknownrebelbang Mon 30-Jun-08 23:32:05

I did.

HarrietTheSpy Tue 01-Jul-08 10:31:17

Yes, provided she was in walking distance of activities or a simple bus ride away. If she were overly dependent on public transport AND she had quite a few children who would be coming with her (don't know how likely this would be), I would maybe be less inclined. But only marginally.

Pidge Tue 01-Jul-08 10:48:41

Depends where you live I guess - my CM doesn't drive or have a car, but we're in London so to be honest cars are often a liability. CM is a champion of the buses and amazes me with her adventures across the big city with her mindees in tow.

elkiedee Tue 08-Jul-08 23:34:57

DP and I don't drive at all. CM does have a car/drive but not as part of her minding, and as I'm another London mum I prefer it that way - 2 mindees are dropped off and collected from one school 3 minutes walk away and she can just take ds in his buggy, I'd be surprised if someone could be bothered strapping 4 kids aged 14 months to 8 years into the car for that! She also takes them to the library/children's centre groups and the local park.

From what you say you're quite happy to do the things you do with them now without a car, I think they'll learn more about the area and getting around than they would in the car.

JenniPenni Fri 18-Jul-08 00:06:52

We have a car but I don't have my license yet ;)

It has never posed a problem - I am a childminder. I have a lovely common across the road, a park 3 mins walk away, and a large mature communal garden. We hop on the bus to go on little trips, and have a train trip coming soon! My 3 kids are under 3 so I don't like to take them all out too far anyway, as need to get home for naps etc.

MummytoWillow Fri 18-Jul-08 15:40:33

My CM hasn't got a car, she walks everywhere, lots of fresh air, brilliant! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now