Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Going to be a childminder

(22 Posts)
mum2oliver Thu 27-Jan-05 22:01:47

Can someone tell me exactly what it is like when the inspectors visit.
Im concerned.Iv been reading the standards and its all SO detailed and strict.I understand that its good that its strict where children are concerned but it scares me.Are they coming to test me or advice & help?
What exactly do I need to do to my house before they arrive?
Door latches,fire blankets,socket guards,
ANYTHING else?
If i dont do certain things will they fail me or advice me to make the changes and come back?
Is there someone that can come round form childminding association that can check a few things before I get inspected?Is that something that they do?

KatieMac Thu 27-Jan-05 22:10:30

Each inspector is different
You should have a doc 'getting ready for your inspection visit' (or something like that)
They are not 'testing' you but they are checking up on you
Is this a pre registration visit?
Test your fire alalrm/smoke alarm and Document it (write it in your diary)

Go to the Library/toy library and borrow multicultural/equal opps toys & books. SHOW them to the inspector (don't necessarily wait to be asked for them)

You may be asked to make changes....that day ie lock that door, move a lamp.....that week - get a bolt on the back gate....within 6 months put ua a fence over there.

Any more Q's?

Dont Panic (direct quote from HHGG)

alison222 Thu 27-Jan-05 22:13:27

My inspecter was very nice. The inspection took about 2 hours. They need to see loads of paperwork such as car stuff police checks - if they are through yet etc, but they ring you and tell you about it beforehand so you can be prepared
They go through the national standards one by one asking you how you are going to meet them- not quite as bad as it sounds as there are lots of questions to give you a "push in the right direction" IYSWIM. They inspect the house and the garden and look to see that it is safe, clean and you have appropriate toys. You will be assessed for ages 0-8 so it needs to be appropriate for all these ages
After my inspection I was told the result straight away, and told I needed to get more ethnicly diverse and equal opportunity toys and to put safety film on the windows in my living room and to etiher take off the bolt in the bathroom or replace it with a handle that can be opened from the inside. I was given a date to do it by, but they didn't check again until my next inspection.
If you already have small children then I would guess your house will be fairly safe anyway., but yes, socket covers,stairgates,baby equipment, kettle at back of work surface, cupboard catches etc. The normal common sense stuff is what they seem to look for

mum2oliver Thu 27-Jan-05 22:18:34

I dont have a document that says getting ready for your inspection visit?
Is it just a sheet of paper or is it in one of the books?
What diary?What specifically do I need a diary for?
I know I need one for certain things but can you tell me exactly.
I dont have inspection date yet as moving in 2 days so getting new house ready.
Do they do a pre-registration visit?Is that the same people?
Thanks for this advice.Its great.

mum2oliver Thu 27-Jan-05 22:19:52

Whats IYSWIM please?

mum2oliver Thu 27-Jan-05 22:21:46

What bolt in the bathroom?
Thankyou very much.This is really helping.

alison222 Thu 27-Jan-05 22:21:59

I think KatieMac jsut means if you have one and write this sort of thing down it is good evidence for the inspector that you have thought about this sort of thing, do check safety regularly and take it seriously.
Also I was asked what I'd do in the case of a fire, how I'd evacuate the house and would I practice this with any children I mind.

alison222 Thu 27-Jan-05 22:22:28

If you see what I mean

alison222 Thu 27-Jan-05 22:23:45

TOh and the bold was a tiny one to keep the door shut as we had no lock and was almost at the top of the door, but I was told it had to go in case a child locked themselves in

KatieMac Thu 27-Jan-05 22:24:59

mum2oliver CAT me (look at the top of the page)

If you send me you tel no (by the CAT - so it's safe) I'll call you tomorrow and talk you through it.

You should have a record of when children are with you - you can use the NCMA register or a diary

Children should not be able to lock themselves into rooms....so if you lock on the bathroom door is too low it could be a problem

IF You See What I Mean IYSWIM

mum2oliver Thu 27-Jan-05 22:28:05

alison222
Why did you have to put safety film over the windows?
Do I need to do anythin to the radiators?
Oh god it doesnt sound easy.
Im not good when put on the spot.

alison222 Thu 27-Jan-05 22:32:57

My house is old and they are sash windows either side of french doors. The bottom of the window is quite low They are old single pane glass and the inspector was worried about a football or child hittig them and causing an accident. If your new house has double glazing (OH I wish!! - no I don't I love how the sashes look just hate the draghts)or toughened glass then its not a problem

KatieMac Thu 27-Jan-05 22:33:43

If the radiators have thermostats....then you won't have a problem. If they heat to boiling then they need to be guarded.

My pre regitration was with breezeblocks on the wall concrete on the floor and extension leads all over the floor.

I explained that we hadn't finished the room yet and explained how each problem would be dealt with.

I passed the inspection

Dont Panic

mum2oliver Thu 27-Jan-05 22:34:48

Katiemac,
Thank you for your assistance.Im very grateful but dont feel I want to give out my number to someone I dont know.I know it is secure and I know you are only being helpful but you just dont know these days.I really hope you understand and that you are not too offended.If I have anymore questions when I get my inspection date through,is it ok to come on again and you help me that way?

KatieMac Thu 27-Jan-05 22:39:27

Yep - no problems.....you could have mine if you want (but that way you pay ) if you dial 1471 before you ring me I can't trace you......

Let me know and I'll CAT you with mine - don't worry if you don't want to

Talking is SO much quicker than typing....

BYW your local network/group/NCMA contact can give you direct help. We are about to pilot a 'buddying' scheme in our area to help all 'NEW' and waiting to be registered C/Mers

KatieMac Thu 27-Jan-05 22:48:53

night

mum2oliver Fri 28-Jan-05 19:55:17

Wish they had something like that in my area.Well actually they may have without me realising.Need to investigate.

KatieMac Fri 28-Jan-05 19:57:54

What general area are you ....I'll have a look

mum2oliver Fri 28-Jan-05 20:09:20

Kettering,Northants.Thanks

KatieMac Fri 28-Jan-05 20:17:38

http://www.kettering.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=140&pageNumber=4

Cr*p at links - sorry

this is a Childminding Group (in Kettering)

There is also a section on the NMCA(.org.uk) site about supporting new childminders

mum2oliver Fri 28-Jan-05 20:20:10

God I feel a bit useless.Thank you so much for all your help.

KatieMac Fri 28-Jan-05 20:22:55

You should have seen the mess I was in preregistration (and I didn't have Mumsnet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now