Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder nightmare stories. Please tell me...

(15 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Tue 25-Jan-05 15:43:45

I am considering going back to work and want some negative input to put me off of it. Any nightmare stories i should know? I just dont trust anyone with my child except me. At this rate the only job i am going to get is working in my own child's creche

nailpolish Tue 25-Jan-05 15:45:35

no, sorry! my childminder is an angel from heaven

Uwila Tue 25-Jan-05 16:13:53

hmmmm.... sounds to me like you don't want to go back to work if you post a question like this. I'm going to guess it's financial necesity. If not, think you might rather stay home.

motherinferior Tue 25-Jan-05 16:14:49

Sorry, my childminder is much much much better at childcare than me, and is the bedrock of what sanity remains to me.

Yorkiegirl Tue 25-Jan-05 16:15:18

Message withdrawn

galaxy Tue 25-Jan-05 16:15:35

My childminder is a star too.

Gem13 Tue 25-Jan-05 16:16:42

My childminder is fab too! DS has got so much out of his relationship with her I am going to be sending DD for a few hours even though I haven't gone back to work.

Still feel funny about it though

spikeycat Tue 25-Jan-05 16:20:41

My childminder is fantastic, but here are some down sides (not to do with her and trust though

1. If ds's is sick and can't go I still have to pay (which I accept buts its a bummer as I don't get paid!)

2. It costs 6.30 per hour for the both of them and I end up with about 30 quid left over after working! (but at least I have some sanity!)

3. When she is off sick (like now) I can't go to work and I HATE letting people down

RTKangaMummy Tue 25-Jan-05 16:22:23

I am a childminder and was plesantly surprized when I read all the glowing stories of my professsion

Thank you everyone

We do try to do a good job and be professional

As we realize how precious your babies and children are.

eefs Tue 25-Jan-05 16:27:59

I love mine - I don't worry about them at all during the day and I miss them so much that I spend all my free time devoted to them. If I had them all day they wouldn't get such attention from me I'm sure.

I think you should be asking questions about how you'll feel/copy with work not try to pass the responsibility onto an potential bad childminder.

Aero Tue 25-Jan-05 16:28:30

ditto RTKM (though I'm not minding atm).

hercules Tue 25-Jan-05 19:20:41

My one was wonderful in every way.

Moomin Fri 28-Jan-05 08:56:19

your initial post seems a bit random! it's like me saying 'tell me about your nightmare dh stories so that you put me off getting married'! every childminder is different - except that in my rather clumsy comparison, childminders will have had to go through rather stringent checks and inspections, unlike prospective husbands! (what a good idea - ofsted for husbands)
forgive me, but you seem to be clutching at straws to try and think of reasons not to go back to work.
Every mum worries that someone else won't look after their child the way they they will - and in some ways they won't - but the majority of childminders are wonderful, and it's a great way to start preparing yourself for the gradual letting-go you have to do as a parent.
Good luck - I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

muminlondon Fri 28-Jan-05 09:08:56

I've got a fantastic childminder too, sorry.

mamadadawahwah Fri 28-Jan-05 13:39:02

so the general consensus is that nannies/childminders have been a benefit and you have no problems with them. Well thats good to hear. No I dont want to go back to work, said that in my first post. Will have to find another reason to not go back. Mind you, dont really need one, staying at home is such a fantastic opportunity to be with the kids and i will be forever grateful to the "gods" for allowing me to be with them. Its just that you hear nanny nightmare stories and I wanted to know how relevant that was in real life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now