Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you pay sick pay to your nanny?

(69 Posts)
ragtaggle Wed 12-Jan-05 16:52:19

Do those of you who employ nannies pay sick pay? And if so, how much? I know that statutory sick pay means nothing for the first three days but wondered if anyone has negotiated a certain accepted number of sick days into their contracts.

My nanny has taken 8 sick days in ten months and I've paid full whack each time.(Even though contract says ssp only)Am I mad?

princesspeahead Wed 12-Jan-05 16:55:08

Of course I pay sick pay! Nannies get sick too. My contract says I pay her up to 4 weeks per year (ie 20 days).

I pay everyone sick pay - cleaner included. It is part of being an employer.

beachyhead Wed 12-Jan-05 16:58:44

I pay full sick pay up to 20 days a year same as pph. I get it so I think she should get it.....

MrsWobble Wed 12-Jan-05 17:02:43

My nanny's contract specifies that sick pay is at the discretion of the employer but I have never not paid it - to be honest, if I thought she was being unreasonable I would have far greater issues than the cost of sick pay.

Uwila Wed 12-Jan-05 17:13:44

My contract says i do not pay the first three days of sick pay. This is in there to cover me if I ever hire a nanny who likes to pull sickies. In truth, the nanny I have has a better work ethic than I do (and I thought mine said dedication all over it). So, if she said she was sick, I wouldn't doubt it for a second. And I would still pay her.

If I had a nanny who was calling in sick on say a monthly basis, I would consider holding back that pay to see if it encouraged her to show up for work.

And, if I ever caught a nanny pulling a "sickie", I would definitely impose disciplinary action. If I caught her a second time, I would probably dismiss her. I need to show up at work, and I expect my nanny to do the same. In general, if I would go to work in the same condition, then I expect her to come to work.

RTKangaMummy Wed 12-Jan-05 17:26:51

do these nannies LIVE IN OR OUT?

Uwila Wed 12-Jan-05 17:30:25

Mine lives in, which of course would make it a bit harder to pull a sickie. In fact, I read somewhere that live out nannies have more sick days than live in ones. Can't help but wonder if that's simply beacause it's easier to fake being sick when you don't live in your employer's house.

Tanzie Wed 12-Jan-05 20:41:09

Yes, and maternity pay which crippled us financially, but we are not in UK.

Uwila Wed 12-Jan-05 21:05:44

Tanzie, you had to pay maternity? Oh my gosh. You seem to have all the troubles. I intentionally hired a nanny who is older with grown children so that she would be unlikely to get pregnant.

cuppy Wed 12-Jan-05 21:11:03

cant you claim the maternity pay back though tanzie?

Tanzie Wed 12-Jan-05 21:24:23

Uwila, she was evil bitch from hell as well, and I was on the verge of sacking her when she got pregnant and made herself unsackable. Children hated her. I had to forcibly drag them to the door to wave goodbye to her when she left and DD1 said afterwards that she never wanted to see her again. She used to give them cold food (stew, not salad!) and basically spent her day with her feet up watching daytime TV and reading Hello magazine.

Couldn't claim her maternity pay back - not in UK.

cuppy Wed 12-Jan-05 21:32:44

My god how awful. poor you and your children

sfg Thu 13-Jan-05 10:43:42

my nanny's contract (live out) says SSP only; if we can cover her sick days ourselves without too much hassle (we are a nanny share so there are 4 parents involved) I use my discretion to pay her her daily rate; if there's serious disruption then the SSP terms kick in. All a bit subjective I know, but it seems to work.

Have you worked out whether your nanny is more likely to be sick on a Monday morning than any other day of the week? I always find that a useful indicator at work.

sinclair Thu 13-Jan-05 12:38:03

Yes always pay up but for us it has been the odd day with flu or something she has caught from the kids anyway so we have been lucky - however - it is ALWAYS a real pain, it is never easy to cover a sick day and if I ever have to emply another nanny I would definitely find out exactly how many sick days she had in teh last job, either by asking the direct question at interview or of course when you check references.

hatstand Thu 13-Jan-05 13:31:01

ragtaggle - I don;t think you're mad, My nanny's contract says full pay for a week (which in our case is 3 days) then ssp. However recently she has been sick for 2 weeks - in view of the fact that we roped in unpaid help to cover we paid her full-pay. I think you need some protection against paying for two lots of child-care if sickness lasts beyond a muddling-through period but, in the other hand, I would expect to get paid and I think my nanny deserves the same as me. Having said all that I have ONE HUNDRED per cent faith in her and confidence that she would never abuse this. If anything the opposite is true.

ragtaggle Thu 13-Jan-05 16:13:54

Can I just say that unlike many people writing here I don't get sick pay (am freelance) yet I have, until now, paid her when she's been sick. (As I also felt that seemed fair)

But she has taken a lot of time off with minor colds recently which led me to look again at her contract (She gave us the template for this from a nanny agency) The contract says SSP which I'm told means nothing for the first three days off sick. I don't want to start doing this but I suppose I feel that she has been taking advantage a bit. Last month, she took three days off to get over a cold straight after coming back from a ten day break.

My problem is that I will now need to start paying alternative child care for the days she is sick, and I can't afford to pay both her and the cover. So I wondered if other people had a 'cut off' period for sick pay like say 8 days. If I got 20 days sick a year like some of the people writing here I'd just pull a sickie when she does to look after my baby- am shocked that some people have 20 sick days in their contracts!

ragtaggle Thu 13-Jan-05 16:14:23

Can I just say that unlike many people writing here I don't get sick pay (am freelance) yet I have, until now, paid her when she's been sick. (As I also felt that seemed fair)

But she has taken a lot of time off with minor colds recently which led me to look again at her contract (She gave us the template for this from a nanny agency) The contract says SSP which I'm told means nothing for the first three days off sick. I don't want to start doing this but I suppose I feel that she has been taking advantage a bit. Last month, she took three days off to get over a cold straight after coming back from a ten day break.

My problem is that I will now need to start paying alternative child care for the days she is sick, and I can't afford to pay both her and the cover. So I wondered if other people had a 'cut off' period for sick pay like say 8 days. If I got 20 days sick a year like some of the people writing here I'd just pull a sickie when she does to look after my baby- am shocked that some people have 20 sick days in their contracts!

ragtaggle Thu 13-Jan-05 16:14:27

crunchie Thu 13-Jan-05 16:27:13

I used to pay sick pay as I knew my nanny would never pull a sickie, however yours maybe taking the p a little. Rather than going straight into a firm refusal to pay (as per contract) I would try and have an unofficial 'meeting' about it. Tell her straight that you are unhappy with the amount of sick days she is having, 3 days for a cold is too much (IMHO) and say that you will have to review things. This gives her fair warning that next time she will have to come in or not get paid and I am sure she will stop taking sick days.

However is she is brilliant otherwise then you may have to accept it as worth it in the scheme of things.

Uwila Thu 13-Jan-05 16:40:34

If you think she is pulling a sick when she isn't sick at all, then that is a bold faced lie and I would not tolerate that from an employee of any kind. I also wouldn't expect my boss to tolerate that from me.

But, if you think she is just turning into her bed at the first sign of a sniffle, then she isn't lying. But, I still think she should go to work.

I think it is totally unfair that people who work contract are required by law to act as employers so that they can go to work themselves. I don't really understand why you can be hired contract, but a nanny can not. Baffles me. I guess the law probably exists so that the government can take employer and employee taxes. (I'm a bit of a synic though)

Blu Mon 17-Jan-05 11:27:54

yes, when we had a nanny I paid sick pay - and I am currently paying her maternity pay (alongside the nursery fees)
It feels ruinous, and like you, Uwila, I am outraged by the gvts insistance that we pay tax on childcare out of taxed income - but I don't think it's fair to take that out on a nanny - and I'm bloody glad that none of my employers have refused to employ me on the basis that I am of childbearing age! Honestly, how will the glass ceiling ever be dismantled if women, of all people, contribute to it's maintenance?

Earlybird Mon 17-Jan-05 11:38:08

ragtaggle - do you ever worry about sniffly nanny passing on germs to your children? It's a bit of a bind - you don't want her to take advantage by taking too many days off for illness that isn't serious, but also don't want her to cause the kids to get sick. Hard to know what's the right thing to do.

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 11:47:43

I pay 10 days a year, though last year she was really unwell and took more but I paid her anyway!

lisalisa Wed 19-Jan-05 12:18:15

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Wed 19-Jan-05 12:21:42

Yes, but you are an employer and have to act as such. Do you get paid sick leave from work? For eg if I am sick not only do I get paid but my company loses up to £1500 a day which I could have been charged out at. That's life.

We pay a temp nanny if ours is off sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now