Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone needs a 'schoolrunner9;?

(11 Posts)
Insomnia Mon 10-Jan-05 23:14:07

I gave up work when I fell pregnant 6 years ago. I now have a boy(5) and girl (2 1/2). Thought I would go back to work. Yeeeha.. Turns out I can't afford to. While complaining to a friend about this, I got this idea. But now I wonder if it's legal, and if there are people who would be interested. Here's the idea. To walk children to school. Parents can drop their children (not more than 2), at my house. I would give them breakfast, and then walk them to school. Collect them afterwards, take them to the park, if weather allows, or just bring them home, feed them, let them play a bit, help with their homework, say until 6pm. I'm not a childminder or nanny, just a mummy. Is this legal? Anyone want to comment? Please?

Insomnia Mon 10-Jan-05 23:30:14

No one? Okay, might as well go to bed then, get up in an hour's time to take DS back to his bed. Get up in another 20 min. to take him back AGAIN. Sleep for 47 min., then take DD back to her bed. Get up at 4am to see why they are still in their own beds....

KatieMac Tue 11-Jan-05 07:34:34

This would be childminding as it is for over 2 hours a day.......any reason why you could be a childminder?

KatieMac Tue 11-Jan-05 07:35:07

couldn't (even)

ssd Tue 11-Jan-05 09:40:42

Yes, as KatieMac says this is basically a childminder.

What you are describing is exactly the job I do and I'm a registered childminder (working part time).

I don't think you could do what you are describing without being registered.

Twiglett Tue 11-Jan-05 09:43:04

you Need to be registered and insured as a childminder

it won't cost you money to register but you will have to do a course (4 days) and have your home checked by Ofsted as well as police records of you and any other adult in the house

You cannot do this without registering unfortunately is illegal as you suspected

KatieMac Tue 11-Jan-05 18:47:23

Childminding might be a great career move for you...there is lots of training available.

Why not think about it?

beachyhead Wed 12-Jan-05 12:20:00

You could do it if you did it in their home - as a part time nanny. I've often thought about having a 'mummy' come to my house to do the pick up school run, help with homework and tea, on the basis that if they had older kids, say teenagers, the teenagers would probably be OK until 6.30 on their own.

Insomnia Wed 12-Jan-05 21:29:57

Aaaw, thanx for all the advice! So... how do I become a childminder? I'm living in a rented 3 -bedroom terraced house with no garden. Will this be a problem, even if only intend to look after 2 children 3 hours per day? Anyone? Katie?

KatieMac Wed 12-Jan-05 22:20:44

Don't worry it's quite straight forward

Contact the Chilodcare Information Service at your local council....they may suggest a taster session.

If you are still interested you will go on to do an Intraducing Childminding Practice course (about 20 hrs) in evenings/weekends - usually. The first aid course (12 hrs - course for children) and a Criminal Bureau Check

This probably won't cost anything - as it's all may even be eligble for a £300 grant (depending on your area)

I Love IT

MrsS99 Sat 02-Apr-05 12:09:47

Can anyone help me with what to say?? Am interviewing an Au-Pair over the phone tomorrow. Have had au-pairs before but they have always been in the country already so have interviewed face to face before.

Is it good idea to call a couple of times and just keep it fairly brief on the first occasion. Anyone out there an "old hand" at this. Would really appreciate some advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: