Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

When you've given parents notice...

(10 Posts)
ssd Fri 07-Jan-05 15:58:44

As a few of you might know, I've had to give one parent notice before Xmas and the kids have left.Anyway, I just wanted to ask what sort of reaction you've had giving parents notice?I feel the mum has been very offhand with me,she has never thanked me for having them or actually said goodbye to me (her sister collected them on their last day). Also I had the kids almost an hour longer the last day,she's never thanked me or offered to pay the extra.Is this normal? I gave plenty notice and said I was changing jobs, I didn't critisize her or her kids at all, I wouldn't do that.Is she being offhand or am I being daft.Has anyone been in this situation?

ssd Fri 07-Jan-05 19:45:09

bump

KatieMac Fri 07-Jan-05 20:02:48

I think that she doesn't know how to behave or act.

She doesn't really kow why you have terminated the contract - the only time I ended a contract i refused to have the children back (they were so badly behaved)

I think working notice is very hard (either way) just like leaving a job...if you've been sacked you don't like it

Never mind good luck with the new ones...

SofiaAmes Fri 07-Jan-05 22:48:17

Sorry, just trying to understand here. Did you tell a parent that you didn't want to mind her children any more? If that's basically the gist of it, then I'm not surprised that the mother has been offhand with you. She's probably very offended that you don't think her children are as wonderful as she thinks they are. If in fact you did actually change jobs, could it be that the mother just thought you used that as an excuse to stop minding her children and that she doesn't actually believe you are changing jobs and really just don't like her children?

KatieMac Fri 07-Jan-05 23:06:17

SofiaAmes - there were a lot of issues but basically the mum had no respect for SSD and was not keeping to her side of the C/M contract (if I remember right)

So SSD (quite rightly) terminated the contract. As self employed childminders we do get the right to choose the children(and often more importantly) the families we childmind for.

Very few C/Mers give notice about the children - most of the time it's the parents - In my case it was an 11yo - who didn't respond to any sort of disicipline - but I am very much in the minority

kangamummy Fri 07-Jan-05 23:17:15

sorry SSD that it was unpleasant

the one I did we keep seeing at mutual freinds and we exchanged christmas cards

it is very awkward though ewach time we see them.

I am glad for you that they are finished.

she can be extra late etc for someone else.

I agree with KMc it is the parents that cause most of the probs.

Arriving extreemley LATE each day is the worse which is also the most common problem.

ssd Sat 08-Jan-05 07:54:34

Thanks for your support girls.

I think I'll just put this down to a learning experience, to be honest I'm really surprised by how it ended more than anything, but I know I was never at fault eg. I never once couldn't take the kids, I always entertained them and I never complained about everything being late...
Actually that was obviously my first mistake, in the future I'll be a lot more professional and not feel I have to bend over backwards to suit the parents.

kangamummy Sat 08-Jan-05 08:35:52

ssd please dont feel that you did anything wrong

it was the parents fault not yours

they should have shown you and your family respect

the next family hopefully will be more respectful. IYSWIM.

good luck

SofiaAmes Sat 08-Jan-05 23:19:28

Katiemac, I was not questioning ssd's reasons for getting rid of the child, she can pick and choose as much as she wants...that's the benefit of being a childminder. I was only suggesting that it's not surprising that the parent of a child who has been sacked is likely to not be very happy or gracious about it. Especially if as you've said, this parent has already exhibited inconsiderate behavior.

KatieMac Sun 09-Jan-05 00:22:29

It's OK Sofia - I was probably being a bit sharp - I've had a very difficult few weeks and seem to be phrasing things very badly.....I didn't mean to be prissy and rude

Sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now