Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do you get your experience?

(5 Posts)
Peckarollover Fri 07-Jan-05 12:17:30

When your first registered and ready to go will parents be willing to let their child be the first of a newly registered childminder? Has anyone found that to be a problem?

ayla99 Fri 07-Jan-05 13:40:25

Exactly my concerns when i decided to register as a childminder. However, I was lucky enough to be approached during registration and started the day my registration certificate arrived. Having done stints on preschool & toddler committees I had got to know lots of local families.

Parents do expect some experience, if you are a parent already this may be acceptable. If not, consider helping out at a preschool, toddler group or primary school - if you do this on a regular basis you might also be able to get a reference from them.

In the absence of any experience related references try to get a couple of character references (not from family!)

amynnixmum Fri 07-Jan-05 13:45:11

I have to admit that this was a problem for me and it took me four months before I started working. In the end my first minded child came as a result of a recommendation from their previous childminder as she was a friend of mine. ayla's ideas sound good. Good luck

kangamummy Fri 07-Jan-05 13:46:51

I was a nanny for 3 years in london

then nanny in canada for a further 3 years.

KatieMac Fri 07-Jan-05 20:15:27

My first child was through my church and the next 2 through school

Don't worry - but go to Mum & Tots (but don't advertise your self too much) only mention it in passing...it looks better

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: