Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

work experience at a childminders?

(11 Posts)
nicm Fri 07-Jan-05 09:42:29


am a registered childminder and was wondering if i could take a child from the local school for a weeks work experience? have been asked this morning and wasn't sure if i would be allowed. the schoold would get the child vetted.

amynnixmum Fri 07-Jan-05 09:50:22

I cant see why there would be a problem as long as they were never left in a room alone with the children. Why don't you call your local parent and pupil support team and ask them. Or the NCMA could advise you. What age would the child be?

nicm Fri 07-Jan-05 11:28:01


thanks for the reply. he would be 16. i used to baby sit him when he was younger!!!

amynnixmum Fri 07-Jan-05 11:56:42

I still think it would be ok but you had better check it out properly. Good luck and let us know what the result is.

kangamummy Fri 07-Jan-05 12:12:01

have you asked mindees parents?

nicm Fri 07-Jan-05 18:19:05


thanks for the replies. i contacted nicma today and they said that they don't think it would be allowed as i didn't have employers insurance (not sure how i would need this? surely only if i was paying him this would be needed?) but that i could contact social services to see if it was ok. not sure now wether to contact them or not or just leave it.

amynnixmum Fri 07-Jan-05 18:25:02

kangamummy has a point about the parents. Why dont you see if they are ok about it first and if they are then contact parent and pupil support (they are part of social services i think). They'll be able to tell you where you stand and they won't mind you asking advice whatever the result. Parent and pupil support offices are listed in the phonebook.

nicm Fri 07-Jan-05 18:34:09

hi thanks for that amynnixmum. i will ask the parents on monday and then contact social services. thanks again. i just can't believe i used to babysit him as a toddler and he's already doing work experience...beginning to feel old now!!!

amynnixmum Fri 07-Jan-05 18:35:26

KatieMac Fri 07-Jan-05 20:19:12

I'd ring OFSTED - they don't need to be police checked (I thik) if they aren't going to be left with the children - but I would get him CRB'ed anyway

If you have NCMA Public Liability Ins you have Employers Liability Ins - check your cert

nicm Wed 12-Jan-05 23:46:17

sorry haven't had a computer for a while - it's been playing up. the child has arranged work experience elsewhere, so has made it a bit easier for me. didn't fancy contacting the social worker as was a bit ott at my last inspection!!

thanks again anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: