Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Want to be a childminder

(33 Posts)
jofeb04 Thu 06-Jan-05 12:14:27

Hiya all,
I'm looking at becoming a childminder, as there is nothing in the area i live in (welsh valleys!). However, i have no idea on the best way to do this, i.e, what qualifications do u need, how to become registered, insurance needed etc). What do u do in the day?
Any advice will be greatfully recieved.

galaxy Thu 06-Jan-05 12:16:42

Go to the Ofsted Website here and there are publications you can download to see if it's right for you.

kangamummy Thu 06-Jan-05 12:35:09

will be back later to help

if you have specific questions please ask away.

jofeb04 Thu 06-Jan-05 12:56:12

Ive got a 10 month old son, so is it worth waiting until hes in school, we're also ttc #2, so is it best until all that sort of stuff is out of the way iyknim
What insurance do u need in the house, and what sort of prices do you ask for (if you dont mind me asking). Also, has hubby is often home in the week, he works shifts, will he need to be police checked etc. He works for the police, so obviuosly no probs lol.
What sort of times do you all do? Is it week only.
All information would be appreciated.

Peckarollover Thu 06-Jan-05 12:59:12

I am also considering being a childminder.

I had decided to do it a while ago but for one reason or another changed my mind. Have now decided again to do it and Im going for my pre registration meeting on the 13th January.

kangamummy Thu 06-Jan-05 13:21:10

I only work during school hours and during school term time

I only choose families from DH school

so I am available between 8am and 4.15pm

later can be negoitated because of parents evenings meetings BUT only if I want to.

Would rather not put payment prices on here

but I do charge quite alot as I only have few children. Only 1 atm.

I charge per hour split into 15 min chunks. and then overtime for early delivery or late pick up.

It will impact on your home life so depends if you want to wait or do it now.

I started when DS went to pre school he is now 9 years.

alison222 Thu 06-Jan-05 13:21:20

Hi Jo,
All adults who live in your house and anyone who works there regularly - ie if you had a cleaner or anything would need to be police checked.
I registered when my DS was just over 2.5 and my DD was 6months.

I guess whether or not you choose to register is up to you but is does take a little time , and as long as you continue to pay your registration fee once registered you don't actually have to be working, so you could do it now but then if you do concieve put it on the back burner for a while.
As for waiting until your DS is in school, I guess that depends on how confident you are at coping with another/other children. Personally I haven't found it too bad at all.
You need to contact your Early Years department at the council, but I got a start up grant which included my first years insurance and courses. I did change my household insurance, which added about 20 pounds to it. I also had to change my car insurance which added a similar amount - but I guess that may vary from insurer to insurer.
How much you can charge depends on what the going rate is in your area I guess.
Here in West London it is about 5 pounds an hour for part time and about 40 pounds a day
You are self employed so you choose your own hours . I am currently working Mon-Wed term time only but that's just how it worked out for me. you can choose to have children overnight to if you want to look after children whose parents work shifts, ditto weekends too.
Hope this helps.

lunavix Thu 06-Jan-05 13:28:15

Jo -
When I found out I was pregnant I decided to get into childcare as I had wanted to before, and childminding seemed the best option. If you go for the pre-registration meeting you can book onto an Introducing Childminding Practice course, which is free but compulsory as a childminder. They tell you everything, local prices, what to do during the day, about getting yourself and dh police checked. Once you are registered you can make local contacts who help you. Word of warning - I'd start it ASAP even if you are ttc as it takes a lot longer than they tell you it will. Hope this helps.

KatieMac Thu 06-Jan-05 21:08:39

I agree get registered and them decide if you want to work now or later....it took us nearly 6 months to register.

Remember you will be running a business - so consider how you will do you accounts etc - and ask arround to see about prices.

The council (in England) has "Childcar Information Service" which will have info about other childminders and maybe some rates

Good Luck and keep in touch

Peckarollover - I'm glad your going to register

Keep in touch both of you

Peckarollover Thu 06-Jan-05 21:19:14

KatieMac - can I just say here as well thank you for all of the help over email you gave me last time. I feel guilty that I think I just stopped emailing but my head was all over the place at the time and ended up concentrating on something different entirely!

Hope you dont hold it against me ;) Would like to benefit from your wisdom this time around!

KatieMac Thu 06-Jan-05 21:28:06

Don't stress I'm in over my head with life at the mo....so I'm frantically reading threads on here to take my mind off it.

Life can get like that sometimes - do get in touch if you need to...

Peckarollover Thu 06-Jan-05 22:18:10

my email is rebecca.roll at btinternet.com - drop me an email as i think i have lost yours

ayla99 Fri 07-Jan-05 14:10:10

NCMA \link{http://www.ncma.org.uk}
Follow the links "How to become a Childminder"
Then "How to get started in Wales"

NCMA's Wales Office on 029 2034 2336

ayla99 Fri 07-Jan-05 14:13:26

Oops I got that wrong - I haven't posted a web link before - i just copied the instruction on this page. Can somebody tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks

jofeb04 Fri 07-Jan-05 16:30:04

Hiya
Just to say thx for all the advice. I am now booked in for the introduction on tuesday, im really nervous lmao

KatieMac Fri 07-Jan-05 16:56:05

Good luck
KMc

Peckarollover Sun 16-Jan-05 09:29:44

I had my introduction on wednesday and Im really looking forward to getting started. I have to go to the other session of introduction and get the course dates, fill in forms etc

The lady was saying that ofsted are turning inspections round very quickly, so much so that she said not to fill in application form straight away or we would have the inspection before we were back for the second session!

The ICP course isnt running again until April which I am a bit dissapointed about as it will take me longer to get going.

I have a big concern that Im very worried (and also embarassed about) that I wondered if any of you could help me with.

For the CRB check for all others over 16 in the house I am worried about my DPs. Let me get this straight from the off he is a very responsible, caring and lovely man. HOWEVER when he was younger he was caught with a small amount of marijuana on him and Im petrified that this will prevent me from being a childminder. This incident was when he was about 20 and he is well over that phase now but he is only 25 now so it will still be on his record.

PLEASE reassure me someone???

He is a heamatologist in the NHS - do you think this means he will have already had a CRB check?

jofeb04 Sun 16-Jan-05 11:13:39

Hiya,
Just to let you all know that i've got the application form now to fill in, letter of planning application as been sent off, and i am starting the course on thursday, its a 5 hour day over three weeks. I cant wait

KatieMac Sun 16-Jan-05 17:43:44

Good Luck - JoFeb04.....enjoy it

colditzmum Sun 16-Jan-05 17:45:05

Peckarollover - I am sure he will already hve had one.

peckarollover Sun 22-May-05 21:52:10

Can anyone help me?

I ended up dropping out of the process last time. My sister was in serious accident at christmas, after hospital she moved in and I looked after her and only just moved out last week so at the time it was too much to take on with everything else going on.

Would I be able to reapply? Would CIS think I was taking the piss?

Evesmama Sun 22-May-05 21:56:30

hi Peckarollover

i think cis would be fine
ive just received my info pack on childminding(dont ask about the ironing)
and(dont know about your area)they are holding a short training day on wednesday...just somewere to pick someones brains, get application forms etc..ring yours, they may be doing something similar???

hows the ironing going??

peckarollover Sun 22-May-05 21:57:41

Well - the ironing is fine. If anything TOO fine. My heart now sinks when a new customer rings because Im getting so BLOODY sick of ironing! When I think of the petrol etc too its really not that great money but it does come in really handy.

Evesmama Sun 22-May-05 22:00:10

am still mulling it over, but because mortgage people wont take a new business into account until i have 12 months books, i dont need to rush into it...and think i would prefer childminding???

KatieMac Sun 22-May-05 22:00:48

Just explain to CIS about your sister - they will understand....
Good Luck (again)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now