Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can Mn childminders advise me please?

(14 Posts)
popsycal Thu 06-Jan-05 11:17:39

please look here
thanks in advance for your time

ssd Thu 06-Jan-05 12:28:16

Hi, I'm a childminder and I would never smack the minded kids or my own kids in front of mindees or their parents for fear of giving out the wrong message. I only smack my own kids very very occasionally and would always rather try to discuss things rather than smack, I always feel ashamed as I have smacked out of temper rather than anything else .

But I don't want this post to sound like I condone smacking at all! As a childminder I have a Discipline Policy which states I would never smack the children in my care.Your c/m should have something like this too.Maybe you could ask if she has any policy documentation? Her discipline policy should be in there....maybe you could take it from there!

Good luck - and go with your instinct!

popsycal Thu 06-Jan-05 12:36:34

thanks ssd....i will do that

secur Thu 06-Jan-05 12:46:08

Message withdrawn

popsycal Thu 06-Jan-05 12:47:27

thanks again
am gearing myself up for this....

AuntyQuated Thu 06-Jan-05 13:01:30

don't know if it is antional but in our local authority childminders are not allowed to smack...my view would be that if you rely on smacking your own kids/grandchildren to discipline them then how do you have the skills to discipline minded children without resorting to smacking. i would be concerned too Popsycal

secur Thu 06-Jan-05 13:03:10

Message withdrawn

popsycal Thu 06-Jan-05 13:06:39

not sure about the 'fantastically' part secur but will give it a go!

secur Thu 06-Jan-05 13:08:12

Message withdrawn

kangamummy Thu 06-Jan-05 13:12:07

I am a childminder and NO we are not allowed to smack

If I disappline DS it is for him to sit on the stairs That works for us a family.

I am shocked that she did that in front of you

do you think she was embarressed?

It could have been that she was stressed about that you had seen her GS behave like that in front of you towards minded children. That you may worry that he is horrile to them all the time. THAT DOES NOT EXCUSE IT BTW.

popsycal Thu 06-Jan-05 13:13:14

she did seem stressed and yes i think she WAS embarrassed

hmmmmm

kangamummy Thu 06-Jan-05 13:39:24

Have you thought before that GS may be jealous of the mindee children taking his Granny and her attention away from him.

when he comes home from school he doesn't have a granny he has a part time granny because she has to look after the minded children.

How would you have felt if you had arrived and GS had thrown a toy at your child or the other one and she hadn't reacted at all?

She probably is far stricter on her GS than on mindees.

I am NOT excusing her BTW. Or critiscising you

I am shocked that she did this I am just trying to look at it from a different angle IYSWIM

popsycal Thu 06-Jan-05 13:40:25

i agree with all that you are saying
GS lives with them and has been her Mindee since birth so has always pretty much had others around...

KatieMac Fri 07-Jan-05 23:11:41

How did the confrountation/discussion go.....?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now